130k and broken rocker arm, Tuner DPF/CAT Delete or not? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 130k and broken rocker arm, Tuner DPF/CAT Delete or not?

Hi all,

I have a completely stock 6.4 with 130k on it, bought it with 70k on it and it's been the most powerful, reliable and comfortable truck Iv ever owned until a couple of weeks ago coming back to Cali through Death Valley after a road trip to the Grand Canyon it sounded like it $hi@ it's pants! All of a sudden I hear a knocking sound and I loose power, I pull in and stop thinking Iv blowen the motor but after trying to check it out I start it again, she runs ok except for a knock coming from the manifold or turbo. As I'm along side a guard rail and there's no shoulder for a mile or so I drive it to where I can pull off the hiway and make calls to my buddies who own dodges to come get my truck and 5er, they are loving it!

The ford dealership back home pull it apart and come to the conclusion it broke a rocker arm and that's it apart from the DPF and CAT are clogged and need to be replaced, probably due to me driving it that last mile, or maybe that's what caused the problem in the first place.

Being as I'm in Cali what is my best option to stay out of problems if I keep this truck? Should I do the air, tune and ERG/DPF/CAT deletes, or some of these or all of these or just leave it stock? I found a used DPF/CAT for $800 which I'll need to smog the truck this year being as its an 08!

I love the power this truck has, I have a bigger 5er than my dodge buddies with new and old dodge trucks and can still leave them for dust on the hills! (until now that is). The only thing I had a gripe about was the fuel mileage, I got 18 mpg empty from CA to WA and back, 13mpg local and 6 mpg with the 5th wheel.

Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Rob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed View Post
Hi all,

I have a completely stock 6.4 with 130k on it, bought it with 70k on it and it's been the most powerful, reliable and comfortable truck Iv ever owned until a couple of weeks ago coming back to Cali through Death Valley after a road trip to the Grand Canyon it sounded like it $hi@ it's pants! All of a sudden I hear a knocking sound and I loose power, I pull in and stop thinking Iv blowen the motor but after trying to check it out I start it again, she runs ok except for a knock coming from the manifold or turbo. As I'm along side a guard rail and there's no shoulder for a mile or so I drive it to where I can pull off the hiway and make calls to my buddies who own dodges to come get my truck and 5er, they are loving it!

The ford dealership back home pull it apart and come to the conclusion it broke a rocker arm and that's it apart from the DPF and CAT are clogged and need to be replaced, probably due to me driving it that last mile, or maybe that's what caused the problem in the first place.

Being as I'm in Cali what is my best option to stay out of problems if I keep this truck? Should I do the air, tune and ERG/DPF/CAT deletes, or some of these or all of these or just leave it stock? I found a used DPF/CAT for $800 which I'll need to smog the truck this year being as its an 08!

I love the power this truck has, I have a bigger 5er than my dodge buddies with new and old dodge trucks and can still leave them for dust on the hills! (until now that is). The only thing I had a gripe about was the fuel mileage, I got 18 mpg empty from CA to WA and back, 13mpg local and 6 mpg with the 5th wheel.

Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Rob.
If you are able to, the dpf & cat delete would be a good option with a tuner as well. The emissions equipment seems to work relatively well if you are working the truck but stop & go traffic seems to not be so emission equipment friendly if you know what I mean.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:31 AM

depends on cali law,,, its not too big of a deal to put it back on for testing , and i would say well worth it as the truck tuned is incredible... i would leave the EGR because that would be a pain to redo all the time...
Old 06-25-2012, 06:05 AM

At about 70,000 i also had a broken rocker arm. I think the fuel dilution causes premature wear on the rockers. Now i dont have to worry about fuel dilution anymore.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:53 PM

is fuel dilution caused by regen?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:06 AM

You can still get a bit of fuel dilution when deleted ( I do not) but maily from regen get rid of that dpf if u plan on keeping your truck for any length of time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.