Combined weight ratings? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Combined weight ratings?

Ok, for any of you heavy haulers out there that have to worry about DOT and registered weight...I'm trying to figure out what the actual gross combined weight rating is for my truck.

08 F350 CC LB DRW 4x4, 4:10 gears

My confusion is in looking at the manufacturers specs, they say max GCWR is 23500, but the max towing weight is 16000. Given that the truck weighs 9300 empty, the max trailer weight would be only 14200. What number should I go off? I have to by my registration each year based on my max GCWR and I don't want to short myself hauling capacity nor do I want to pay for weight I can't legally haul.

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to stay legal with all the different rules/laws is a serious pain.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, too. All the specifications I can find put the curb weight for my truck around 7300#...when I have rolled over the scales with nothing other than myself and a half tank of fuel I was almost 9300#! Trying to figure that out now?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

If I understand GCWR correctly, you can't go by the GVW of the truck or trailer individually. Look at the door sticker on your truck. It should tell you what the GVW of the truck would be. Bear in mind, part of that GVW is going to be some of the trailer weight (tongue / Goose neck / 5th wheel ). That leaves the remaining weight being the trailer itself. So since the truck carries part of the trailer weight, the remainder sits on the trailer wheels/tires, the trailer weight rating is a bit higher, but still can be under the GCWR of both vehicles hooked together sitting on the scale. At least, that's how I understand it. I could be wrong.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 PM

the truck needs to registered for the total weight you will be pulling, and it ccan be registered for more than the Ford rating, I would put 12tons (24000lbs) or 13 ton on it to be sure you cover what ever you might pull, over 13 and you need a CDL to drive it at any time, this is what the DOT will look at along with axle and tire loads, the Ford recommendations will only come into it play if you have an accident and a lawyer decides to sue you.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 AM

Well that's what I originally thought too. But according to the DOT guys I talked to, gross combines weight is the hover of the tractor and trailer added together...which puts me at 37k! No way would I ever try and drag that much down the road with my pickup. I even told them I was only registered to 24k but was told it didn't matter. Hence, my confusion on some of this. I think I will call the farm desk back and double check. Maybe he was mistaken or misunderstood my question. In the mean time I have gotten a DOT # and a UC registration just so I can haul hay for my own animals and move my hay equipment between fields. What a pain!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknmj View Post
Well that's what I originally thought too. But according to the DOT guys I talked to, gross combines weight is the hover of the tractor and trailer added together...which puts me at 37k! No way would I ever try and drag that much down the road with my pickup. I even told them I was only registered to 24k but was told it didn't matter. Hence, my confusion on some of this. I think I will call the farm desk back and double check. Maybe he was mistaken or misunderstood my question. In the mean time I have gotten a DOT # and a UC registration just so I can haul hay for my own animals and move my hay equipment between fields. What a pain!

Best thing to do is look up the law on the DOT website.

Some definitions:
Truck, primary use is to haul a load and can tow a trailer.
Road Tractor or Tractor, Primary purpose is to haul a trailer with a load.

There is a big difference between the two is the registration department.

Now to stupid part, each state has it own laws to regulate registration and sometimes they contradict each other.

Farm licensing is different yet again depending on what state you live in.

Can O worms? YES!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Interesting google search....
Trucking: gcwr, motor carrier safety, motor carrier safety administration
Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Definitely a can o' worms! All in the name of trying to stay legal...sometimes ignorance is bliss. What I need is an RV that I can load with about 5 tons of hay and load my farm equipment into...then nobody cares!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD05 View Post

That was an interesting article and actually answered several of my questions. I've spent a lot of time looking up rules and regs and never ran across that one, so thank you. Still need to talk to the DOT farm guy and revisit a couple of things. Was a lot easier when I worked for someone else...I didn't really have to worry about all the paperwork!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.