Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What are key maintenance "to do's"

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  lifted stroker 
#1 ·
This is my first diesel and have read that if you keep up on maintenance these will last forever. I want to do this right. I just bought some motorcraft fuel and oil filters and some rotella T to change this weekend. What else should I do first for this thing. I only had it a week and dont know what has been done and when. It has 70k on it now. I heard that you should drain the water out of the fuel filter but dont know where to do that at? Any other things that I should keep an eye on or what I should do? Thanks

#2 ·
The water separator is located on the inside of the frame rail on the drivers side of the truck inline with the front of the drivers door. There is a little yellow lever, just turn the lever & drain it for about 20 sec or so. I do it about 2 times a month.

#3 ·
Sweet, I'll start doing that

#4 ·
Check your coolant (nitrite and freeze point). It shows you how to drain the fuel filter in the manual. If you don't know when all the fluids were last changed you could change all your fluids, transmission, transfer, diffs, coolant.

#5 ·
I do know that older people had it that lived in nj and spent the winters in FL. So a lot of its miles are highway miles. If that matters.

#6 ·
Highway miles are alot easier on a truck than town miles so that is good. How many hours are on and how many miles?

#7 ·
Um...don't know how many hrs but its got 70k

#10 ·
You would have to get it from your menu in the display in your instrument panel. I think 04/07 would be a job 1.

#8 ·
Is there any significance with what job # my truck is? 1,2 or 3? It was made in 4/7

#9 ·
The rotella t I got is the triple protection in the white bottle. Is that a semi synthetic? The blue bottle said its full synthetic and the guy behind the counter at autozone couldn't tell me

#11 ·
The white bottle is dyno. The T6 (blue bottle) is a full synthetic. I run the T6. Also your truck is a job 1.

#12 ·
I'm like you and I just bought my truck about a month ago. This is also my first diesel truck and I had the same questions. I was also told to buy some Diesel Kleen in the grey bottle (for summer) and pour that in every other refuel. I usually refuel when I'm at half a tank since diesel isn't found on every street corner like unleaded.

I bought oil filters and a fuel filter kit and changed both, along with the oil. I went full synthetic rotella which I won't waste the money on again until I do the DPF delete.

I'm going to take my truck by Ford and pay them for a diagnostic test which I think is around $100. I have an extended warranty until 2015 so I am playing it safe and having Ford check the truck out so they cant later say that I bought it and it was already screwed up. Plus I'm going to see if I can make nice with the head diesel mechanic and find out if they are mod friendly.

#13 ·
Guys it's just my opinion but I wouldnt use rotella oil in your truck. Several diesel mechanics has told me to use motor craft oil in a powerstroke. Something about rotella suds up and will mess up your Hpop. If this info is wrong I apologize. This is just the info I was told!! Good luck with your new truck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.