6.4 Question, California Owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 Question, California Owner

I live in California, and am in the market for a used truck. I will not be using it for any hauling yet, as I plan to go from a Class C RV to a toy hauler in the next year or two. So, it would probably just see daily driving duties (11 miles each way to work) and trips to the mx track with a light motorcycle trailer.

Since I live in CA, I wouldn't be able to block off the egr, or remove the dpf. (unfortunately) For those reasons, I've been leaning toward buying a used 6.0 and bullet proofing it right off the bat. It seems that most of the 6.4 complaints related to both longevity and fuel mileage are related to the emissions stuff.

Would a 6.4 be a good choice for me, considering that I'd be stuck with the egr and dpf? I have read about the issues (mostly with job 1 trucks, it seems), and they are pretty mild. I also don't mind bullet proofing a 6.0, and would factor that into the budget for a truck. That would make the 6.0 pretty reliable and remove my concerns for that generation. It would also allow me to tune it, and up the mileage considerably.

I have done quite a bit of research, but would like to hear the opinions of the knowledgeable folks on this forum. I like the looks of the 2008+, and have also heard that they ride better, and are very stout trucks. I also like the newer interiors, and the SYNC system.

Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 AM

buy a spare DPF to hollow out and fly under the radar
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
I live in California, and am in the market for a used truck. I will not be using it for any hauling yet, as I plan to go from a Class C RV to a toy hauler in the next year or two. So, it would probably just see daily driving duties (11 miles each way to work) and trips to the mx track with a light motorcycle trailer.

Since I live in CA, I wouldn't be able to block off the egr, or remove the dpf. (unfortunately) For those reasons, I've been leaning toward buying a used 6.0 and bullet proofing it right off the bat. It seems that most of the 6.4 complaints related to both longevity and fuel mileage are related to the emissions stuff.

Would a 6.4 be a good choice for me, considering that I'd be stuck with the egr and dpf? I have read about the issues (mostly with job 1 trucks, it seems), and they are pretty mild. I also don't mind bullet proofing a 6.0, and would factor that into the budget for a truck. That would make the 6.0 pretty reliable and remove my concerns for that generation. It would also allow me to tune it, and up the mileage considerably.

I have done quite a bit of research, but would like to hear the opinions of the knowledgeable folks on this forum. I like the looks of the 2008+, and have also heard that they ride better, and are very stout trucks. I also like the newer interiors, and the SYNC system.

Thanks for any information.
The dpf system is probably going to give you the most problems with short trips & city driving in my opinion. To get the regen to properly clean the exhaust filter you need to drive at about 80kph until the regen is finished (10-20 minutes on average when I still had it installed). If you get alot of situations where you are unable to let the process finish you will have to deal with the dpf getting plugged up & your truck not running properly. I have no experience with the 6.0 but I do know without the dpf system on those trucks it is 1 less thing to worry about if you can't really do anything with the exhaust system anyways. Do people get pulled over by police for this stuff down there or is it that you just have to take it in yearly?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
The dpf system is probably going to give you the most problems with short trips & city driving in my opinion. To get the regen to properly clean the exhaust filter you need to drive at about 80kph until the regen is finished (10-20 minutes on average when I still had it installed). If you get alot of situations where you are unable to let the process finish you will have to deal with the dpf getting plugged up & your truck not running properly. I have no experience with the 6.0 but I do know without the dpf system on those trucks it is 1 less thing to worry about if you can't really do anything with the exhaust system anyways. Do people get pulled over by police for this stuff down there or is it that you just have to take it in yearly?
I'm not sure, to be honest. I have done a bunch of research on here, and I was finding some threads about people with dpf delete being pulled over and given big fines even out of the communist state of California. I read one thread about a guy in Washington, whose brother got a $2500 fine after getting pulled over and checked. So, it sounds like, since it's a federal regulation, that it's being cracked down on everywhere, or at least the chances of getting busted for having it removed are increasing.

I am fairly certain that the CA smog test guys would be very knowledgeable about what is supposed to be installed, and would spot it instantly on our smog checks. (every other year)

Thanks for the responses, guys.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 AM

California smog checks are ever 2 years. Just hollow out a spare DPF and swap in the good one for inspection time
Old 06-12-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
I'm not sure, to be honest. I have done a bunch of research on here, and I was finding some threads about people with dpf delete being pulled over and given big fines even out of the communist state of California. I read one thread about a guy in Washington, whose brother got a $2500 fine after getting pulled over and checked. So, it sounds like, since it's a federal regulat ion, that it's being cracked down on everywhere, or at least the chances of getting busted for having it removed are increasing.

I am fairly certain that the CA smog test guys would be very knowledgeable about what is supposed to be installed, and would spot it instantly on our smog checks. (every other year)

Thanks for the responses, guys.
Tough call then I guess. I think with the 6.4 you can somehow look into a way of making your truck able to do a manual regen but I can't remember where I saw this. Only thing is then it has to sit & run until the regen has completed which in turn burns fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.