Buying a 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Buying a 6.4

Hi, I have a couple of questions but havent been able to get a straight answer from anyone.... First I wrecked my 03 Not too long ago, insurance says it is probably totaled i will find out next monday........
I loved my 6.0 to death and never had a bit of trouble with it, I just have a hard time buying another when i could get 6.4.
Now the questions:
What do i need to look for when buying a 08-10 6.4????
What major problems did they have????
Can i expect it to be reliable even with a tune??? (obviously a custom tune not a generic programer)
Will i be happy with the upgrade over my 6.0???
or should i just look into another 03-07???

Thanks for any help you could offer and i apologize because i can only assume these questions have been asked 100 times before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef52751 View Post
Hi, I have a couple of questions but havent been able to get a straight answer from anyone.... First I wrecked my 03 Not too long ago, insurance says it is probably totaled i will find out next monday........
I loved my 6.0 to death and never had a bit of trouble with it, I just have a hard time buying another when i could get 6.4.
Now the questions:
What do i need to look for when buying a 08-10 6.4????
What major problems did they have????
Can i expect it to be reliable even with a tune??? (obviously a custom tune not a generic programer)
Will i be happy with the upgrade over my 6.0???
or should i just look into another 03-07???

Thanks for any help you could offer and i apologize because i can only assume these questions have been asked 100 times before
Leaking rads were issues that have mostly been fixed by now I would assume. The oil cooler & egr coolers issues that people talk about on the 6.0litres don't seem to be as much of an issue with the 6.4. Also head gasket issues like the 6.0 had have not been as common from what I have read. If you are in an area where emission inspections are not of concern I would delete the dpf & egr systems. The two main tuners now are H&S and Spartan not including the guys who do custom tunes & there are alot of people who just run the "generic" tunes with great results. I didn't own a 6.0 so I can't help with that comparison but I know the 6.4 makes alot of power & seems to provide alot of reliability even in the stock form from what alot of owners say that owned both. However if you aren't planning on deleting the emissions equipment the stop & go city traffic seems to bring up some issues from my experiences. Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 PM

thanks for your insight, dpf delete will be for sure, egr if it is recomended...i have 0 expierence with 6.4s so whatever you guys recomend i will probably do!
Thanks again
Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
thanks for your insight, dpf delete will be for sure, egr if it is recomended...i have 0 expierence with 6.4s so whatever you guys recomend i will probably do!
Thanks again
No problem. I'm sure you will get some more responses tomorrow. The EGR delete is something that alot of people like myself don't do right at the beginning but after you do some research you will find that alot of people say it is a good option to do for longevity.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 PM

what do you think of your mini max/dpf delete/egr delete combo???
Old 06-12-2012, 04:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I would look into a 6.4. They are animals! Looks like you have the main bases covered as far as dpf delete and tuner. I personally run spartan and KEM tunes. I have a few buddies running H&S tunes. The H&S tunes are nice because of the shift on the fly, if you choose to put KEM tunes on it then you will loose shift on the fly. At this point you can not buy a new spartan and put KEM tunes on it. You have to have an older version. The new spartan tunes have come a long way in the last year. I dont think you can go wrong with any of them at this point. I will say this, I like my spartan dashdaq monitor ALOT more than the mini maxx and black maxx monitor. EGR delete is a good idea for sure. I waited to do mine until my warranty was up because it is a pain in the arse to go back to stock after an egr delete. After those upgrades, you can look into a coldside pipe, and a full DP to go with a downpipe back exhaust if you looking for that extra cooling. An airdog 2 is also a nice upgrade over the stock fuel/filtering system.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:27 AM

I also recommend a dpf delete, egr delete, h&s minimaxx, ccv mod, s&b intake and an airdog II. Then you should be set
Old 06-12-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
what do you think of your mini max/dpf delete/egr delete combo???
I think it was a good choice. I ran an edge for the first little while but after I decided to do an egr delete I was either thinking about h&s or spartan. I chose the mini maxx because of the shift on the fly but I am sure either way I would have went I would have been happy. Both companies seem to make great products. Another thing I am looking into is a cold air intake so that would be another upgrade for you to check into as well.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:11 PM

so I have been doing some reading and it sounds like as long as i stay away from a "Job 1" truck and delete the egr/dpf/cat these things run good with no other issues to be concerned with???
correct me if i am wrong
Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM

I would buy a Job 1 truck with 130-140k on it with a good Oasis report and all the major issues addressed before I bought one with 89k on it that hasn't had any problems yet.

I think the Job 1's got a bad rep because they were first. There aren't really many differences between them and the Job 2 and 3's. I read about a lot more blown up-pipes on 09-10 trucks than I do '08's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.