Suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Suggestions

Hey guys, just got my first pick-up and first diesel truck two weeks ago. All I can say is that I'm in love. I got a 2008 F250, Harley Davidson edition. Bought it from a guy in Tampa who was the original owner. He claimed it was garage kept, never any accidents, and oil changed every 5000 miles. The carfax was clean and showed dealer services up to around 35,000 miles which is when he met a mechanic who did the rest of the services. The truck doesn't have a dent/ding anywhere and looks great. It's got 54,000 miles on it which are mostly highway, that I'm pretty sure of because it still has the original tires. He took very good care of it and it shows.

I have a friend who does lots of diesel work in his shop and he will do most of my service for free with me covering cost of parts. So my first item on the agenda once I get to 55,000 miles is to change the fuel filters and the oil/filter. The previous owner said he had the oil changed at 53,000 but just for my peace of mind and ease of remembering service intervals I'm gonna do it again. The other thing I want to do is remove the DPF and add a programmer so I can get better fuel mileage. I have the factory warranty until 2015 so I wont be modding anything crazy. But I have heard that removing the DPF will give a significant increase in MPG. Any other advice you guys suggest? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Deleting and a tuner will increase the longevity and health of ur truck as well as make it more reliable. Better mpgs...not so much due to the adde horsepower from the tuner and your right foot.

Goo news is u made a great purchase. Get rid of that emissions crap and enjoy her he way she was designed to enjoy. U have a great motor!

Welcome to the 6.4 family!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 06-05-2012, 04:45 AM

Suggestions for delete and tuner on the org will very greatly. Spartan and h&s are the most popular tuner and u will find many many threads deeply debating which is better.

I personally have h&s tuner, AFE stage 2 CAI with PG7 filter, diamond 5" exhaust to a 6" mbrp chrome tip, performance truck products egr delete and polished manifold elbow. I don't have one yet but I encourage a coolant filter as well.

Things to make sure u are doing: drain ur fuel filter once or twice a month, try not to let ur tank get below quarter (increases chances of condensation--our hpfp are very very sensitive), run some type of reputable diesel lubricator and cleaner (low sulfur kills our trucks), change fuel filters every 10k miles and while ur still stock oil every 3500-5000 miles. After deleted u could extend past 5k mile depending on ur universal oil analysis.

I recommend u purchase from performancetruckproducts.com. They IMO are the best supplier around right now.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Wes

Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonw2 View Post
Suggestions for delete and tuner on the org will very greatly. Spartan and h&s are the most popular tuner and u will find many many threads deeply debating which is better.

I personally have h&s tuner, AFE stage 2 CAI with PG7 filter, diamond 5" exhaust to a 6" mbrp chrome tip, performance truck products egr delete and polished manifold elbow. I don't have one yet but I encourage a coolant filter as well.

Things to make sure u are doing: drain ur fuel filter once or twice a month, try not to let ur tank get below quarter (increases chances of condensation--our hpfp are very very sensitive), run some type of reputable diesel lubricator and cleaner (low sulfur kills our trucks), change fuel filters every 10k miles and while ur still stock oil every 3500-5000 miles. After deleted u could extend past 5k mile depending on ur universal oil analysis.

I recommend u purchase from performancetruckproducts.com. They IMO are the best supplier around right now.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Wes

What he said, and welcome to the org.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:56 PM

Thanks. I already bought a fuel filter kit as it has apparently never been changed. I bought a bottle of diesel additive from WalMart (gray bottle) and put it in every other fill up. I usually fill up at half tank. Probably going to vhange the oil now at 55,000 so I can have a better idea if when it's due again. Next project is the dpf delete and tuner but I'm trying to prepare myself for that expense.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 PM

How do I drain the filter and what should I be looking for when I do?
Old 07-02-2012, 05:19 AM

driver side frame rail, tucked up under the truck. There's a yellow tab that you slide to the right. It should drain from the nozzle in a slow stream fashion. If nothing comes out, your housing is clogged. Take cap off of primary fuel filter, and look into. If there's gunk and crap everywhere, you might want to take the entire housing off of the rail and deep clean. Our HPFP are very sensitive. Any contamination could have you looking for a lotta new parts and it ain't cheap.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The water seperater is on the drivers side frame rail about even with back edge of door. There is a gray or yellow lever on the side you lift this up and water/fuel should come out the little tube underneath. Drain into a clear bottle of some sort I would say 6-8oz or until it looks like fuel. Let bottle settle to see how much water is there. I would run the additive every tank possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.