To Buy or Not to Buy a 6.4 King Ranch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking To Buy or Not to Buy a 6.4 King Ranch

I am looking at a 2009 -6.4L King Ranch with 53000 miles.
I have read many of the threads on here some good and some bad. I also have heard that the 6.4's have a lot of issues. Should I be concerned about them or walk away from the truck now.

I am looking to get the pros and cons about this and if there are problems are the ways to be pro active and fix them before it turns into thousands of dollars worth of problems and mistakes.

Any help would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrelow View Post
I am looking at a 2009 -6.4L King Ranch with 53000 miles.
I have read many of the threads on here some good and some bad. I also have heard that the 6.4's have a lot of issues. Should I be concerned about them or walk away from the truck now.

I am looking to get the pros and cons about this and if there are problems are the ways to be pro active and fix them before it turns into thousands of dollars worth of problems and mistakes.

Any help would be great
Do not walk away...Get the VIN and call the Ford Dealer and get an OASIS report. Then if all checks out, buy the truck and delete all the emissions crap ASAP and you will be a believer. These trucks are simply amazing and you wont regret it for a second. Call Nate at Performance Truck and he will hook you up. Tuned these trucks are the best diesels on the road in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mike thanks ....

I can do that. Now I will just have to figure how to delete all the emissions crap.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrelow View Post
Mike thanks ....

I can do that. Now I will just have to figure how to delete all the emissions crap.
Who's Mike

Its cool though.
Anyway...the process for doing the delete is straight forward Call Nate at

Performance Truck Products - DPF Delete Kits & Diesel Performance Parts from MBRP, H&S, EDGE, Diamond Eye, Banks, BullyDog

and he can walk you through buying the right kit and even how to install it. It is literally a 2 hour job with basic hand tools. Let us know how it works out.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 AM

And just because you asked, the " issues " with these trucks were in the 2008 Job 1 models and had mostly to do with Radiators and Emissions equipment issues. The fact it with $1200 bucks and 2 hours worth of your own labor you will have a 600 hp/1000 lb/ft of torque truck that is as reliable as they come. And will smoke nearly every vehicle on the road in a race if you feel so inclined.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thats great appreciate all the great information. It makes the buying it a whole lot easier to decide. I have several people here that are telling me its a good strong work truck. But it just doesn't like the stop and go hwy grid lock type stuff. And as long as I maintain it, there should be any problems.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 AM

For a CA guy like me, and considering that I can't delete the emissions crap, is the truck still a good choice? I find myself leaning toward the 6.0, just due to the better mileage and the fact that they have less emissions equipment. I think the smog check is a visual, then stab the throttle twice to see if it blows black smoke.

I love the look and power of the 6.4, but am a bit concerned about emission equipment failures and the associated cost.

Great thread.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
For a CA guy like me, and considering that I can't delete the emissions crap, is the truck still a good choice? I find myself leaning toward the 6.0, just due to the better mileage and the fact that they have less emissions equipment. I think the smog check is a visual, then stab the throttle twice to see if it blows black smoke.

I love the look and power of the 6.4, but am a bit concerned about emission equipment failures and the associated cost.

Great thread.
Are you planning on doing alot of stop and go city driving or highway driving
Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
Are you planning on doing alot of stop and go city driving or highway driving
I apologize for hijacking the thread, I'll start a new one. Good question though, I'll note that in my thread.

Thank you for the response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.