Break in procedure on 6.4 PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 10:25 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Break in procedure on 6.4 PSD

What kind of break in procedures are recommended for this motor?
1000 miles taking it easy?

Thanks,
Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
I took it easy for the 1st 500 miles and then I let her rip.....I also changed my oil at 1000 miles and every 4000 miles after that
Old 10-04-2007, 10:33 AM

Good to know. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

One Caveate, and I know zip about the 6.4, but most of these engines run a bit hot when being broke in, that with rings and bearings and all seating in nice... And you do not want to increase blow by on the rings, let em seat in right... According to the PSD people here, I would not do any towing for 5000 (km), and I would not do any major MAJOR towing big, or chip up power increase, or drag strip abuse for about 10,000 kilometres... If I loved my truck..

Now you can all tell me I am full of it and go back to my corner. But that is what I did with my 11 month old 6.0 King Ranch F-350 4x4 CC LWB DRW....
Old 10-05-2007, 09:32 AM

That's pretty crazy stuff that ford calls for a 5,000km break in on a commercial vehicle. When i was reading my manual a couldn't help but laugh when i read this seeing as my F-450 is a tow truck and i had to tow a 300C 600kms back home from where i had to pick the truck up at with only 200kms on the odometer.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
One Caveate, and I know zip about the 6.4, but most of these engines run a bit hot when being broke in, that with rings and bearings and all seating in nice... And you do not want to increase blow by on the rings, let em seat in right... According to the PSD people here, I would not do any towing for 5000 (km), and I would not do any major MAJOR towing big, or chip up power increase, or drag strip abuse for about 10,000 kilometres... If I loved my truck..

Now you can all tell me I am full of it and go back to my corner. But that is what I did with my 11 month old 6.0 King Ranch F-350 4x4 CC LWB DRW....
Seems a bit excessive. But I understand the want of being cautious. I think I'll aim for the 1000 mile break in with an oil change and then let er rip approach.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 PM

Yea, alright, I can see how you Guys would feel that way.
A new truck here in Oz, (Australia) is six months wait, conversion, compliancing, shipping, luxury import tax, the works you do not want to hear about.... My 06 built, King Ranch F-350 CC LWB DRW FX4, (now modded and cat gut) cost $135,000, and then 16,500 lb winch, 4 inch lift, 6mm plate reinforced Steel Bull bar, long range tanks and more... Maybe $145,000 x exchange rate now of .8950 = $129,000 Smackaroos U.S.

If you Guys paid that kind of money, and an engine or a new truck was six months wait, you would do my Break In safety... Ha

But you Guys can get an engine overnight and a new truck tomorrow, I can see how you would not give a stuff... For us down here in Oz, a truck like this is MAJOR SPECIAL, and while I get on it now, you would feel break in should be nice and easy to be safe... My Dealer gave a Waranty and Extended Waranty with the Edge Juice with Attitude, just as long as I did not run it on Level 5 until after about 10,000 km break in... I give it a good run now and then, but bloody well did as he said with that at stake on the Break in..... Ha!

I cannot even get a 6.4 until mid 08 and empty pockets... Such as it is... No complaints, you all will have it straightened out by then.. Ha

Ranger Down Under...
Old 10-08-2007, 05:45 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Man ranger that sucks!! I can't believe it is that expensive. If I were you I might of actually considered the "break-in" period.

on a side note I have always felt that if it is gonna break, it is gonna break. I have never "broken in" a motor. my 08 now the first 2000 miles on it have been regular/hard/easy miles in no specific order.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 PM

Hello Mr John Wayne,

Just for your understanding, I am an old fashioned diesel man... Break in period these days means just normal driving. What you do not do, if you love your truck, or if you have paid HUGE bucks for it like me here in Oz... What you do not do is run BIG Horse Power Chip ups like the 100+ that I have, or do BIG towing jobs for a Break In period to allow bearings and all to seat in, and PRIMARILY allowing rings to seat in properly....!!!

The length of the break in period varies amongst different Engineers, but about 10,000 kms seems to be the average, sort of the 6000-8000 mile range to be safe. The kind of Goose that buys a new truck and immediately enters into huge towing jobs cross country with a 36' Gooseneck, or huge competition hot engine truck pulls, has a 50-50 chance of shortening the life of his engine to sell on problems to someone else... It is just plain abuse, not necessary.. Probably will end up with long term problems and oil consumption problems that were caused by..... Impatience...

last Ranger lost in Oz somewhere...
Old 10-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
I understand what you are saying bud However I'm going to agree to disagree. I do not feel that it is abusive or impatient to not "break-in" a motor. IMO if it where that important then it should be done before a customer takes delivery. To me it is an inconvenience.

I'm not trying to ruffle anyones feathers, just voicing my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.