Exhaust question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust question

Hey guys, today i went into a "diesel performance" shop. I was looking into getting an exhaust put on my truck. At first the guy said they could only do a filter back exhaust and wouldn't do a turbo back exhaust (which i was wanting) and then he asked if i wanted to delete the DPF. i told him yes and he said he could sell me the delete pipe, but i would have to go elsewhere and get it put on.

Im looking for an exhaust but I'm lost on what brand or anything and figured i would get more help here than that shop helped me. Im thinking probably 5 inch exhaust with a 5 inch tip maybe? i want to just do the full turbo back exhaust, and maybe straight pipe it or put on something that still makes it sound good and loud, but not really sure on what to choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Just buy a 5" Turbo Back exhuast with a DPF Delete from one of the vendors on here and install it yourself

Oh and put a bigger tip then your exhuast... like a 7" tip on a 5" pipe would be Great
Old 05-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Okay, that sound easy enough haha. How hard is it to do exhaust on these trucks? I have no problem doing it myself but i figured it might be hard getting to the down pipe of the turbo and all that.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Not bad, the big exhaust makes it easy I think. Just get a down pipe back if I were you. Two bolts at the down pipe, a band clamp in the middle and the exhaust will come out In two pieces. You can take the right rear tire off to get the rear section out easier. The new exhaust is in smaller sections and very easy to hang. Can do by your self if you want but an extra set of hands would definitely speed up the process
Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 PM

Also, don;t forget (since it wasn't specifically mentioned) you MUST do some type of tuning (H&S, Spartan or SCT) to be able to delete the DPF

Hit up Performance Truck Products - DPF Delete Kits & Diesel Performance Parts from MBRP, H&S, EDGE, Diamond Eye, Banks, BullyDog for the goods, they have great prices, are forum sponsors and GREAT people to deal with. You can go on their site and chat with one of their techs also.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Alright ill definitely go check out the site, is there any benefit to doing a turbo back exhaust compared to a down pipe back exhaust? Ive been trying to learn up on this diesel stuff but still confusing non the less.

And yes tuning, i was thinking about going with spartan or H&S minimax i know theres countless threads debating the two so ill go check them out. But is there gonna be any problem if i get an exhaust first and get it put on and don't get the programmer until later on?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:23 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Big problem lol. You must program the truck BEFORE removing the stock exhaust. Its needed to turn off the regens, I don't even think it will run, it's a very smart truck haha

If your making huge power then the turbo back would be worth it but if your just wanted a reliable truck then down pipe back is plenty sufficient. The turbo back will get egt's down a little bit but other than that, it's prolly not worth the pain of installing it.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well that could be a problem haha. Definitely different from a gas truck, as you can tell this is my first time having a diesel haha. So it looks like programmer first, and then exhaust.

But ill definitely be checking into either a spartan or H&S as i know for sure i want one of the two and as soon as i get that i will be looking into an exhaust and probably have a few more questions before i order it but hopefully one of the vendors will point me in the right direction when i call.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwillmon View Post
Well that could be a problem haha. Definitely different from a gas truck, as you can tell this is my first time having a diesel haha. So it looks like programmer first, and then exhaust.

But ill definitely be checking into either a spartan or H&S as i know for sure i want one of the two and as soon as i get that i will be looking into an exhaust and probably have a few more questions before i order it but hopefully one of the vendors will point me in the right direction when i call.
I know you're looking at a h & s or Spartan but if you don't go with them and go like SCT it requires bungs, as the first two do not, I just ordered one with bungs so I don't have to worry about which platform I chose. Just thought I'd throw it out there...
Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 AM

Just get a dp back 5" exhaust. That way incause you ever have to the dpf back on you can.
Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.