Should i trade my cummins for a 08 6.4. Help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should i trade my cummins for a 08 6.4. Help please

Looking at selling my 1999 Cummins with 218k miles. Its an awesome truck but getting tired of front end problems and electrical issues on it, plus already put ew tranny and injection pump
I would be getting an 08 ext cab shortbed 4x4 XL with 67k miles for 14k
I plan on a 4in lift 35s and dpf delete. Would this thing last me? cause ill be financing about 7k on it and cant afford huge reapirs after that? Also if it had 4.10s should i aviod it or would that be ok with the 35s?
long post sorry but this is a big decison for me any help is appreciated..
thanks Liking the ford forum by the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

4.10 means that water pump spins faster so chance of cavitation (cored t me if I'm wrong on that.) also if you want it to last maintenance is key fuel filter and oil changes done religiously. Get rid of the dpf like you said and also the egr to prevent future problems down the road and it should be an awesome truck. Have the dealer run an oasis on it as well
Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 AM

4.10:1 is the gearing and they will be perfect with 35's or even 37's. These fords are nice as hell, I too came from the dodge world, ive had 4 cummins. Your not going to get the mileage that you are used to, but you will have a lot more truck. Dpf delete, air intake and a tuner are a must. I'm still debating on the egr delete incase I have to take the truck in for warranty work, pain in the azz to be changing that out back and forth.
You wont be dissapointed with the ford, go for it.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oh i didnt know the 4.10s changed the way the water pump worked thats interestings. yeah the truck wont have a warranty on it so thats not a concern when doing the dpf/egr delete. I love my cummins but it gets old quick always fixing it then still having a rough rough ride. lol this truck was an ex goverenment truck used to haul prisoners in the bed so it was maintained well i suppose
Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Power strokes have a 5 year 100k warranty. Just on motor.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So if i buy it from the wholesaler and they dont offer any warranty, I can still take it to ford and they'll cover it?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also build date is 06/07 which i believe is job 1 after all my research and i heard this may be the most probelematic but then again alot of people with them seem to love them lol
Old 05-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds to me like your mind has been made up and you just needed a little reassurance. The 2 Dodges I drove before I bought my 99 SDCC were falling apart, literally. I have nothing bad to say about the Cummins but the interiors looked like they were cobbled together by children, broken or loosed panels everywhere. That really changed my mind about Dodge. The Chevs were just too soft in every way, I've owned 2. Some people like that and some don't. The Fords can just flat out haul more and look better doing it, period. They are just flat out tuff. My truck is 13 years old with 255k miles and when I go off road it still doesn't squeek, anywhere. I'm just so imressed with my e99 and nary a mechanical problem with it. Good choice you are making my friend, good choice.
Regards,

Dwight
Old 05-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah im pretty sure i want it just always scary reading about how hard the 6.4 is to work on vs my old cummins. i wish i could buy an 99-03 7.3 like we used to have but bank will only finance a newer truck. lol well hopefully this goes good and i get a good truck
Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 AM

Sounds like a deal. Get rid of the DPF and EGR system and flush the coolant. 4.10's will work fine with 35's. You will like. The motors are beastly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.