F-250 into F-350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 02:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F-250 into F-350

I want to make my F-250 CCSB into an F-350. What differences are there between the 2? I always thought that it was just the rear suspension. But I havnt looked into this before so there may be a good bit more than that. I know the 250 doesnt have enough suspension to hold up some of the loads I put on her.

My thoughts are to put a set of 350 springs in the rear and air bags and be good to go All that assuming that the springs will bolt on right on lol.

Cant afford another truck so this was my idea lol.

So any info yall have is appreciated!! Thanks Guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

Never even thought about this...

Subbed.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
some people say only the springs are different.
Some say the axle is also different...

I believe it is just the springs by looking at all of them.

I (and many others) have thought about this but decided against is because is a LEO pulls you over for being over weight they will look at your door tag anyways and if it is more then you are "rated" for then you will be getting a fine...

Even if you put F350 or F650 springs in there they go by the door tag ONLY!!!

Not worth the trouble IMO
Old 05-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
But I guess if your just using it to haul tools and whatnot in the bed or concrete blocks you wouldn't get hassled too much

Might be worth it just for the "peace of mind" of having stronger suspension
Old 05-25-2012, 03:39 PM
The Silent Service

You can swap out the blocks in the rear axle, that's the only real difference. I don't think there is any difference in the springs. What I would recommend is a F350 set of blocks, and install a set of air bags.

The reason the F250 is offered is that is typically a sub-10,000# GVWR truck. For the purposes of registration/insurance its typically cheaper to own the F250 vise the F350. If you violate the axle, or GVWR on the door panel, you will find yourself in trouble if you are caught overweight at a scale, or after an accident.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
some people say only the springs are different.
Some say the axle is also different...

I believe it is just the springs by looking at all of them.

I (and many others) have thought about this but decided against is because is a LEO pulls you over for being over weight they will look at your door tag anyways and if it is more then you are "rated" for then you will be getting a fine...

Even if you put F350 or F650 springs in there they go by the door tag ONLY!!!

Not worth the trouble IMO
I heard that they are going by door and VIN. I know that you used to could register it for more weight. I am not sure that's the case these days. That wasnt but 3 yrs ago or so. I could be totally wrong about that though. I know I want to buy a camper and they can be anywhere around 16k to 18k pretty easy. I haul flat bed trailers from time to time with equipment on them...skid steerer and what not. I may have to just buy another one, but I know right now the bank wouldnt loan me the money
Old 05-26-2012, 05:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 250 and 350 single rear wheel models, both run the same rear end (a sterling 10.5, the dual rear wheel 350s run a dana 80 and the 450s run a dana 110). The main leaf springs are the same as well. The difference is the presence of factory overloads (350's have them, 250's don't) and the size of the factory block (the 350 block is a little taller). If your planning on running airbags anyway (which is a great idea), then I wouldn't worry about doing anything else besides adding the airbags. You won't need the overload springs with the airbags, nor will you need the taller block as both of those functions will be done by the airbags.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonm View Post
The 250 and 350 single rear wheel models, both run the same rear end (a sterling 10.5, the dual rear wheel 350s run a dana 80 and the 450s run a dana 110). The main leaf springs are the same as well. The difference is the presence of factory overloads (350's have them, 250's don't) and the size of the factory block (the 350 block is a little taller). If your planning on running airbags anyway (which is a great idea), then I wouldn't worry about doing anything else besides adding the airbags. You won't need the overload springs with the airbags, nor will you need the taller block as both of those functions will be done by the airbags.
I had read somewhere that the airbags were mainly to help support the load not to increase the load rating of your truck. Suspension is my weak link in the gear head world. I do not know much about it or how it all works. I want to run a 2.5 leveling kit with a 350 block in the back and want the truck to handle the weight of a 350 and hopefully with the bags ride level. That's what I am trying to achieve. So I am all ears to you guys that know suspension

Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Don't you worry about it

I thought they had different braking systems as well. I also dont understand the weight thing. In NC I can register my truck for as much weight as I want. My tags right now are for 13K lbs but my door sticker says 10K
Old 05-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

it's been shown in the Ford builders guide(see link) that the 350 has a thicker frame /different splines on the sterling axle and the taller block/u-bolts and different shocks . oh and the badge IIRC ?

I never believed the frame thickness difference because it was so miniscule it seemed stupid and have never been able to verify the axle spline count also seems useless

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...le_pickup.html

Last edited by ZMANN; 05-26-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.