Ok... So last night I decided to pull the pin on my homemade egr block plates. Only took one pic. Here it is.
I made them from a leftover fire alarm box because it's designed to withstand heat. Just to be sure I heated the metal with my propane torch [3000 degrees) and compared it to a stainless muffler I had lying around. The metals heated about the same and both maintained their integrity. I had purchased a lower egr cooler gasket earlier to use as a template. After tracing out my form I used shears to roughly cut out the shape I needed, then a bench grinder to fine shape the metal. Holes were drilled and slots were cut so that the plates would slide in without completely removing the bolts. I used a polishing wheel to take the rough edges off of the plates then a bench vise and two 1" steel plates to make sure that the block offs were perfectly flat. I tested one plate by clamping it in front of my 1050 degree heat gun for about 10 minutes and there was no glowing or melting or deformation so on we go. I heated the plates to red hot with the torch and dropped them in water to add some hardness, and clamped them in the vice one more time just to ensure flatness.
Tip #1. Remove the drivers side wheel if you can. I could have but didn't and it made the work very tight.
Tip # 2. Don't remove the bolts that hold the cooler to the exhaust pipe! That's why you slotted the bolt holes you idiot! Trying to get everything to line back up after I removed them added about an hour and caused me to lose lots of credit in the afterlife.
Tip #3 have a good source of light. I didn't discover till it was too late that one of my employees had apparently driven over my shop light, forcing me to use a stage light, which is very hot, very bright, and very annoying.
I ended up only blocking the exhaust side of the cooler since the erg valve itself closes off the intake side.
I used my BFS to pry the junctions apart enough to reach the gasket with a pick and ensure that it was on the exhaust side of the junction. I had apparently done an ok job of making the plate because it slid in pretty easily (with some light taps from a rubber mallet). Got everything buttoned up and it all seems to be fine. No leaks and ect seems a couple of degrees cooler.
Typed with my thumbs from my Autoguide app.