death wobble in front end - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
death wobble in front end

a little history. 08 leveled with 70k at around 62k had new trac bar and bushing,1 tie rod, steering stabilizer,drag links, front end alignment installed, 1k ago all new shocks installed. i have been hearing a loud squeek when hitting bumps and havnt tracked the problem down yet. this weekend i notice the outer edge of front tires are "feathered", last night i hit a bump in the road at 50mph on a slight curve and the truck got a MASSIVE tire shake that thru things out of the cup holders....... then nothing--- this morning i felt the shake slightly 2 times after hitting small bumps and then 1 bump put the truck into a shake that stayed with the truck till i could stop. i got the truck to work and jacked the front end up..... i pulled the wheel to turn it and there is a slight bit of movement side to side but it is very slight and just the linkage bucking, there was no movement in and out...... what am i looking for before being at the mercy of the dealer again......... thanks for the thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 07:54 AM

My truck does the same thing.....When I'm traveling at 40-50 MPH while taking a curve.....If I hit a small bump my truck has a siezure and starts shaking away. I have 45,xxx miles on it and I have checked the front end over and over and can not figure it out.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 AM

Dual Stablizers fixed my death wobble.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 PM

I put on a Bilstein 5100 in place of the stock upper/factory steering stabilizer and it seemed to have fixed my death wobble for close to a year. Now, I am experiencing it more and more and even on straight roads when I hit a bump at higher speeds. When my truck was at the dealership on an unrelated repair, I had them look at the front end. Everything was tight/within spec/normal. Will probably get a dual stabilizer setup once I get a lift.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:05 AM

took the truck into the dealer yesterday......
dealer said all is good on the front end and they didnt hear a squeek while driving..... i asked about the feathering of the tires and they said the alignment rack was down but it looked like they just needed to be rotated..... what ever........

i changed the oil and rotated the tires (every oil change), now at 50mph on a smooth road i can feel the start of a wobble, if i hit any bump or imperfection- hold on otherwise it goes away as i speed up or down....... waiting to grab a mechanic to look at on the side.....
Old 05-25-2012, 05:10 AM

You can install dual stablizers and remove the stock stablizer. Rough Country are reasonable priced.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:28 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

steering stabilizers isnt always the fix for death wobble ,most of the time not , a bandaid is what id call it , do i agree that a stabilizer setup may help yes , but alot of these trucks dont even have them from factory , and the problem is repaired wihtout having to add a stabilizer kit, without putting my eyes on the front end its hard to say , but if the tires are feathering to a noticeable extent , i have seen the alignment be out far enough to cause a issue , there are quite a few bulletins through ford discussing the death wobble , tire pressure can cause an issue , a tire itself , alignment,tie rods track bar,etc. you have already replaced several components , if this was my truck i would find me as credible a shop as possible and get a better opinion, its hard to find a front end guy that actually knows what to do
Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 AM

took into another shop and had a look- they said replace the stock steering stabilizer once a year since truck is leveled and i drive city streets...... ?? really?? i dont want to throw money at this without reason. i will put on a bilstien replacement or dual set up if its a cure but really dont want a "maintenance fix"?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:00 AM

so last night on a smooth road at 50mph truck goes into massive shake while hauling a heavy trailer- got the truck stopped in the grass median---- back under way on road i notice abs light on in dash. light wont go out with cycling the key.......
hoping to get it into another dealer or shop tomorow to see what is up with front end and now abs light......................
Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same problem after I leveled my 2010 6.4.. I put rough country dual steering stabilizers on it and havent had a problem since.. That was about 50,000 miles ago

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.