6.4L Oil Filter Problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4L Oil Filter Problem?

A little backgound:
I did have a nice '05 CC Lariat 4x4 with the 6.0L - only problem was it was a long-bed with the extremely poor turning radius (I mainly used it to tow a long travel trailer and couldn't turn the TT around in less than a 60' area in my yard without back up, forward, repeat over and over). I was offered a super deal on an estate sale '08 short-bed Harley-Davidson cherry with less than 12K miles on the odo. So, got an immediate buyer for my '05 and a reasonable price for it and I now have the HD sitting in my garage. I'm ready to work on the 6.4 gremlins like the freakin' DPF, etc. In my lifetime, I've had well over 60 vehicles and rebuilt lotsa engines and trannies, so I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to these things. I'm busy these days trying to tell my DW how to do the 'easy' stuff around here because I had a major stroke about 5 years ago that left me with no balance and in a wheeliechair. (VERY frustrating!). Probably shuda lived a little wilder and louder when I had the chance, but I consider myself lucky that I've come out of this pretty much OK.

Decided that said 'new' HD should start from scratch with known maintenance, so 'we' drained the oil to replace it with T-9 synthetic. I have a left-over supply of Motorcraft FL-2016 oil filters that I bought a few moons ago for my old 6.0 and since, that's the recommended filter for the 6.4 as well, what the hay - what could be nicer.

Problem:
Somewhere along the way, the previous owner decided that the local 'jiffy-lube' type shop should do the oil changes. 'We' pulled the old filter (looked kinda 'bow-legged') and tried to press one of my 2016's into the cap...no go. The cap only says: "25Nm" on the top with no other markings. I thinks if it was a Fomoco part, it would probably have a part no. or something on it. Other strange thing is that the 'old' filter is about 1/2" shorter than the 2016. Oh,oh...

Spent a lota time yesterday trying to find out what's what in the oil filter world. Did see a couple remarks that Ford changed the filter config for some early production '09 units, but most parts stuff still calls for an FL-2016 for that year. The build date for my HD is 1/08. (Would that be a 'late' production '08 or an 'early' production '09?) My VIN has an 'R' in the 8th slot...which is supposed to have a special meaning. My wife is off to the local Ford stealer parts dept. later today, but I don't expect much luck there.

If you have any good wisdom on this, I sure would very much appreciate it!!

Last edited by journeydog; 05-21-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
You have the right filter but it seems they out a aftermarket cap on it that prolly the junk filter came with. All u need is a oil filter cap from ford and u will be good to go. Most dealers should have them in stock because alot of people break them tightening them down so they should be in stock. That will fix your issue, I would change the fuel filters too, they aren't the same kit as the 6.0's though.

Ps.... The ford caps say 25Nm with an arrow pointing clockwise for how much to torque it down. Good luck and get rid of that dpf
Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

so some of the "other" oil filters that aren't motorcraft will come with a replacement cap to make up for the 1/2" on the filter. so when you're local jiffy lube opens the box and see the brand new oil filter cap on there, they thing its supposed to go on there so they toss your OEM cap in the trash.. and put that garbage cap and garbage oil filter on your truck.. you need the following part.. I ordered from this guy and I got it real fast. similar thing happen to my truck.. crappy cap and new filter didn't fit.. so i had to order the part.. its much more expensive at the stealership

Oil Filter Cap
Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys!!

Want to work at a Ford parts counter? Look what "Ford Parts" online sez for the Oil Filter Cap:

(All for Ford part no. 6766 - same 6.4 diesel; same FL-2016 filter - everything is same-o) except:

Oil Filter Cap: (EC-781 or EC-755 or EC-743) with prices ranging from about $7 to $25!!!!!

Last edited by journeydog; 05-21-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-22-2012, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ahhhh...right filter - right cap...the top of the old filter (right kind), was still inside the cap (sheared off the old filter somewhere along the way). Theory is that a 'genius' at jiffy-lube tightened the cap so much that the top of the old filter sheared and stayed in the cap - making it impossible to insert the new filter. One of the guys at the local Ford parts dept. spotted the problem. Oil & filter now new...the engine seems happy.

Thanx again guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.