Should you buy a high mileage 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should you buy a high mileage 6.4

Ok.... I see this post often on here, "should I buy this 6.4? It has 19x,xxx miles and costs $xx,xxx dollars. Truck looks good and runs great. Had it checked by a mechanic and they said it was a good deal. Should I purchase it?"

Since trucks with mileage this high are pretty much warranty free I figured I'd post my numbers for thought. Posting my numbers for consideration.

The truck
Should you buy a high mileage 6.4-imageuploadedbyautoguide1337015049.644310.jpg

Paid 12,000 for the truck

279.00 immediate change of all fluids and filters.
1400.00 estimate to fix leak in lower left side of radiator (instead I used a long punch to re-close the crimps in that area of the radiator, slowing the leak to a few drops of coolant a day)
70.00 lower intercooler hose
270.00 estimate from dealership to replace airbag control module when it went bad. ( didn't fix because I wear my seatbelt.)
260.00 replacement of serpentine belt tensioner.
8900.00 new short block engine installed when it turned out that the squeaking that was thought to be the belt tensioner ended p being a bad roller lifter eating through the camshaft.
Oddly enough, after the new engine was installed the radiator stopped leaking completely, go figure.....
100.00 cost of having local dealership go through truck to check everything after I discovered that three bell housing bolts and the two rear main transmission mounting bolts apparently were never tightened when the new short block was installed.
1160.00 + my labor. cost of tuner and delete once I discovered that within 2 weeks of the new engine being installed that the dpf system had dumped 3 quarts or so of fuel into my crankcase.
100.00 immediate oil change.
650.00 new ball joints installed last week.
35.00 replace idler pulley for serpentine belt (different pulley)

$23,275 spent or owed since January. Pretty sure I could have found a lower mileage truck with a warranty for close to this. If I hadn't been financially able to (barely) take care of the repairs I would now be in a real pickle. Oh, and I'm suddenly having the mysterious disappearing coolant issue and the fuel cooing pump has died. I'm going to block off the coolant flow to the egr cooler and see if that fixes it. Otherwise the tuner and pipe have to come off and it's back to the dealership. I asked the mechanic about the fuel cooling pump and he says don't worry about it. We shall see.

This post is not to discourage anyone but rather to remind people that sometimes its better to spend more unless you can afford to be holding that losing lottery ticket of unexpected costs.

Btw, last week I rolled over 10,000 miles on my truck.

Typed with my thumbs from my Autoguide app.

Last edited by Johnsabine2003; 05-14-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 12:19 PM

I found my King Ranch 6.4 with 162K for 23900. All I have spent is fuel and maintainance, other than my chosen mods of delete and tune, I have 167k on mine now and I love it and for the money I got into a very well maintained King Ranch
Old 05-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Posting up your mileage when you bought it would probably help John. Sounds like you got a terrible truck tho. I haven't heard anyone else on multiple forums that has bought such an exploding truck as yours. Don't mean to come across as bein a dick or anything, just luck of the draw I guess.

I also bought my 2008 (Job 2) F250 KR for $28k with 59k miles on it. Added tuner, DPF/DoC delete, Intake EGR delete. Only problem I have had in 13k miles has been leaking radiator hoses which were replaced with the new double O-Ring design.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
Posting up your mileage when you bought it would probably help John. Sounds like you got a terrible truck tho. I haven't heard anyone else on multiple forums that has bought such an exploding truck as yours. Don't mean to come across as bein a dick or anything, just luck of the draw I guess.

I also bought my 2008 (Job 2) F250 KR for $28k with 59k miles on it. Added tuner, DPF/DoC delete, Intake EGR delete. Only problem I have had in 13k miles has been leaking radiator hoses which were replaced with the new double O-Ring design.
I bought it with 185,000 miles on it. At 59k yours is good because you have 41,000 miles left n factory warranty and the option of extending it for another 100k after that. I'm really addressing those who are looking at trucks that are totally out of warranty and not eligible for an aftermarket warranty. I've seen a couple of that type post on here lately. What I'm getting at is if you've got some cash in the bank then go for the savings of a higher mileage truck. If you're living paycheck to paycheck spend the extra money to buy a lower mileage truck under warranty.

Typed with my thumbs from my Autoguide app.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 PM

Totally understand where you are coming from John. And like I said just trying to get some background. I think these 6.4s are great trucks, but require some consideration. My roommate has a 7.3 (with 490k miles) and it runs like a champ but he tells me daily how jealous of my interior he is. Also comparing 7.3 to 6.0 to 6.4 is like comparing apples to oranges to grapefruit. They are similar but just not the same. I think without the EPA crap the 6.4 runs much better, and if it was rated at 230hp/500tq like the 7.3s it would run forever too! But I think most (and I stress most) people who have problems with the truck are the ones who are hot rodding them (and I am definitely jealous of that... Started saving for a new tranny already). I also have a coworker with a 6.0 that has been running strong since day one. And his has 307k miles. Like I said I think it is hit or miss and unfortunately it is more hit in high mileage 6.4s that are completely stock and still have the DPF and EGR. Without those and at stock power levels I think you could buy these like people buy 7.3s and expect them to run a million miles.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Im knew on this site but I just wanna put my two cents in. I have a 08 6.4 with 220,000+ miles. I bought it with 180,000 on the clock. Runs like new no problems since I have bought it. Was all stock when I got it. Countryaggie made a good point it really hit or miss. I also have a 2000 7.3 with 450,000 miles and still is as fast and strong as the day I bought it new
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM

I got mine with 185k for 24k out the door finance charge an all. I usually have different intentions when I buy a car or truck. I start an look for the main things I want an need, everything else can be added or modified. It's been a year I baught it bone stock running like a champ after 13 months an 12k almost to 200k have yet to have any problems besides the Ac doesn't. Low hard enough. I prolly could've put a few Ac systems on the truck for what I've got invested in it but it wouldn't be near as fun or turn as many heads. Stay on the maintenance an MOST of the time you'll be good.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 AM

i paid $17k for mine and it had 140k on it. Only thing i have done is replace the belt tensioner. I have 198k on it now i think i got lucky
Old 03-17-2013, 02:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry to start up the old thread but would like some input. i have a 06 6.0 with 186k on it and it runs great. but looking for a crew cab and i found an 08 for 14k with 240k miles. looks clean just drove a lot. any input from you guys with the 6.4 now?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:49 AM

Should you buy a high mileage 6.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxracer41 View Post
sorry to start up the old thread but would like some input. i have a 06 6.0 with 186k on it and it runs great. but looking for a crew cab and i found an 08 for 14k with 240k miles. looks clean just drove a lot. any input from you guys with the 6.4 now?
Is it 100% stock? The EGR and DPF are killers on these trucks. I'd be leary of a stock truck with that many miles. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to CountryAggie For This Useful Post:
ikoen (08-04-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.