Tuning advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-06-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuning advice

Just got a new ride as you can tell from my signature... Looking for advice from anyone with EXPERIENCE with a Spartan or H&S tuning for the 6.4. I am good to go on the hardware, but from whom I've talked to so far, an SCT Livewire isnt going to cut it for what I am going to be doing... Any real advise will be appreciated. (did i splel taht rihgt?)

2010 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat level 2; S&B intake, Spartan Phalanx, EGR, DPF&SCR delete, homemade CCV re-route($20), S&B intake, RCD intake elbow&cold side IC pipe, Mish. rad. w/updated hoses, PMF drag link & track bars(with updated joints), B&W gooseneck hitch, Dieselsite coolant filter.
formerly had '04 F250 CC WB w/over $8k in mods
post #2 of 9 Old 05-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You say sct wouldn't work for what you would be doing. What will you be doing with the truck? You are on the right track with h&s or Spartan. For just simple deleting either is great. I guess I'm not sure what situations seperate Spartan from h&s besides shift on the fly. But guys run both in high power applications. I know you can load KEM tunes on the h&s, I am sure you can with Spartan too just haven't heard for sure. I am sure somebody will let me know.

Sent from my LG-P509 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

08 CC SB
Fun Stuff
Mini Max / S&B Intake / 4" MBRP DP / 5" MPRP DP Back / 5" x 6" x 18" MPRP BLACK Tip
Normal Stuff
10" shallow RF sub w/ custom box & amp rack / Xtant 600W amp / Tinted front windows to match factory rears / Recon bed lights
post #3 of 9 Old 05-06-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the SCT livewire wont support deleting the intake portion that allows EGR, which will be replaced with a straight flow-through piece from RCD(cant remember what part it is at the moment)... primarily daily driven with light towing often and occasionaly super heavy towing and annual truck pulling... dont really do alot of 1/4 mile action... which tuner will get me the best daily driven mileage? as long as i dont have to tune like i had to with an X3 on my former 6.0...

2010 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat level 2; S&B intake, Spartan Phalanx, EGR, DPF&SCR delete, homemade CCV re-route($20), S&B intake, RCD intake elbow&cold side IC pipe, Mish. rad. w/updated hoses, PMF drag link & track bars(with updated joints), B&W gooseneck hitch, Dieselsite coolant filter.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-06-2012, 06:45 PM

I have been MORE than happy with my H&S. People will say the same about Spartan. Can't really go wrong with either.

1991 Ranger - 38" TSL's, 3 link, One tons, 5.38s on King air shocks....under construction.
1997 Ranger - reg cab flare side, 3.0L, M5OD-R1, 4x4, 31x10.50r15 MT's.
2008 F350 - Crewcab short bed, 6.4L diesel, H&S XRT Pro, AFE DOC/DPF delete
1972 Mustang Coupe - 302, c4, 9", 4.11's locked.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-06-2012, 07:19 PM

I have H&S also and love it. I work with a guy that has the spartan and he likes it but i havent rode in it to see what its like. What sold me on H&S was the shift on the fly option, makes it a lot easier I think. No matter what you get you'll be happy im sure and your truck will love it!

09 F-350 H&S Mini Maxx, 4" Flo-Pro downpipe back, S&B Intake, 35X12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 20" Black/Machined Ultra Phantom wheels, Bushwacker pocket flares, B&W hitch, Rhino lining, Tinted lights, Recon cab lights, Alpine M500 AMP, 2 10" JL Audio W1's, Glow Shift 3in1 Gauge, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Spyder LED Tail lights, Spyder Halo Projector headlights
post #6 of 9 Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
As the recent purchaser of an XRT Pro, I don't have much to say yet other than get a MiniMaxx or BlackMaxx if you go with H&S. I cheaped out and wish that I would have waited a few more months and gotten a tuner that monitors too. Just my .02

2008 F-250 XLT CC 6.4L 2WD
H&S XRT Pro, Flo Pro DPF/DOC Delete,
EGR Block-Off Plates,
aFe OE PDS Filter (in a modified airbox)

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
post #7 of 9 Old 05-06-2012, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
a stock sct wont cut it but if you get a sct with custom tunes it will cut it by far!!!

01/07 Job 1 F350 H&S Tuned. ARP Studs, AFE 4'' straight pipe, EGR delete with elbow, AFE stage 2 CAI, 6'' lift on 37s, 20x12 Fuel Nuts two piece, Sinister coolant filter, CCV Mod, Projector headlights HID kit
post #8 of 9 Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

good stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
a stock sct wont cut it but if you get a sct with custom tunes it will cut it by far!!!
read above reference SCT livewire...
thanks for all your opinions fellas...

post #9 of 9 Old 05-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
well that will teach me not to reply when im running out the door haha

01/07 Job 1 F350 H&S Tuned. ARP Studs, AFE 4'' straight pipe, EGR delete with elbow, AFE stage 2 CAI, 6'' lift on 37s, 20x12 Fuel Nuts two piece, Sinister coolant filter, CCV Mod, Projector headlights HID kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode