Another Dumb Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Dumb Question

You know, I really hate asking dumb questions on here, but I have one I'm not sure about. Here goes.

Does the 6.4L have a radiator fan clutch? Yesterday my truck started making a noise that sounds like a radiator fan clutch going out (roaring sound like a fan at full speed). Not only that, but it was really pulling a lot of air through the radiator. While parked, if I held it at higher RPM's, the noise would go away after a few seconds...like the clutch is working, but slowly. I've heard the same sound in other vehicles before and it was the fan clutch. The reason I ask is because with all the hoses, tubes, radiator shroud, etc on top of the engine, I actually can't see down in there good enough to tell if it has a fan clutch. I assume it does, just can't see it. Also, is it that during hot weather the fan normally turns faster to help with cooling? I haven't owned a diesel in a while, and not a 6.4L, and not during hot weather, so I have no reference point.

It isn't really a problem, at least not yet, I hope. There's no decrease in performance. It's just a little noisy and I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Last edited by cp2146; 05-04-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 07:17 AM

Yes there is a fan clutch, though it's been awhile since I listened for mine but it always cycled on around 200 degrees. Sounds like a helicopter in my engine bay..

Last edited by reighnman; 05-04-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
Yes there is a fan clutch, though it's been awhile since I listened for mine but it always cycled on around 200 degrees. Sounds like an helicopter in my engine bay..
Yeah, that description kind of fits. Thanks, I'll keep listening. Anyone else heard theirs do this?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:35 AM

Plus if you've ever seen the fan you can imagine how much air it pulls
Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
Plus if you've ever seen the fan you can imagine how much air it pulls
Roger, that.

Worst case, I guess, is that the clutch locks up and the fan is always turning the same RPM's as the engine. I don't think it would really hurt anything, other than sounding like the helicopter, train, jet, insert your description here, until I could get it fixed. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck has done it since I have owned it (3 yrs). I made a post along time ago and also took it into Ford and they said it was normal. It only does it when the truck sits for a hour or two and its real Hot out and I jump in. It makes the fan noise for about a minute and goes away.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectech View Post
My truck has done it since I have owned it (3 yrs). I made a post along time ago and also took it into Ford and they said it was normal. It only does it when the truck sits for a hour or two and its real Hot out and I jump in. It makes the fan noise for about a minute and goes away.
I've noticed mine only seems to do it (or at least does it worse) right after I've been sitting at a light and idling for a minute or two. Then I'll take off and it will make the god-awful noise (almost a howl) for a few seconds then quit. I made it a point to watch the tach today when it did it and there was no jump in the RPM's, other than normal acceleration, so to me that means the tranny isn't slipping. Also, we've had a few consecutive days in the low 90's, not really what Texans call hot, but definitely the warmest it's been since I bought the truck last October. That being said, I'm going to assume it's just as everyone has been saying...it's the fan, it's temperature related, and it's normal. Again, if I'm wrong, someone please tell me.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:41 AM

I have noticed mine doing that once. I got on here to try and figure out what it was. My coolant was a little low. I added some and have not heard the sound since. I'm not saying that's what did it but it's worth a look.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamsphelps View Post
I have noticed mine doing that once. I got on here to try and figure out what it was. My coolant was a little low. I added some and have not heard the sound since. I'm not saying that's what did it but it's worth a look.
Hmmm, never considered it could be the coolant level. Thanks, man, I'll check it out. The weird part is, it doesn't do it all the time, just every once in a while. In fact, as of this writing, it hasn't done it in a couple of days. I guess the truck is just messing with me again.

Last edited by cp2146; 05-07-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 AM

Ha! Well, if all else fails, read the book, right? I was looking at the owner's manual and found this -

Your vehicle is equipped with an engine driven cooling fan drive (also
called a fan clutch). This fan drive changes the fan speed to match the
vehicle’s changing cooling air flow requirements. Fan speed, fan noise
level and fuel consumption all will increase based on the driving
conditions that include trailer towing, hill climbing, heavy loads, high
speed and high ambient temperature, individually or in combination. The
fan drive is designed to provide the minimum fan speed (and resulting
fan noise and fuel consumption) required to meet the ever changing
vehicle cooling air flow requirements. You will hear the amount of fan
noise increasing and decreasing as the engine power requirements and
vehicle driving conditions change as you drive. This is to be expected as
being normal to the operation of your vehicle. High levels of fan noise
might also be heard when your engine is first started, and should
normally decrease after driving for a short time.

I guess that answers my dumb question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.