Am I Being Too Gullible? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 05:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Am I Being Too Gullible?

I've been seeing the ads on TV for the new Dodge diesels, complete with Sam Elliot doing the voice-overs. One of the points in the ad is that Dodge does not need diesel exhaust fluid, but Ford and Chevy do. Huh? Diesel exhaust fluid? What the heck is that? My first thought was it was just a cute way of claiming Dodge gets better mileage than the others. Think about it...diesel exhaust fluid...the fluid needed to make diesel exhaust...diesel fuel. I know, it's a stretch, but I've heard advertisers say weird stuff before. Anyway, my curiousity got the better of me and I googled diesel exhaust fluid. Lo and behold, there is such a thing. This is what Wikipedia says.

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is an aqueous urea solution used in Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) to lower NOx concentration in the exhaust emissions from diesel engines.

Okay, so my question is, do we have such an animal on the 6.4L? I looked through the owners's manual and could find nothing that mentions needing to fill or replace the diesel exhaust fluid as part of routine maintenance, nor could I find any reservoirs under the hood for it so I'm guessing we don't have anything like that on the 6.4L. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp2146 View Post
I've been seeing the ads on TV for the new Dodge diesels, complete with Sam Elliot doing the voice-overs. One of the points in the ad is that Dodge does not need diesel exhaust fluid, but Ford and Chevy do. Huh? Diesel exhaust fluid? What the heck is that? My first thought was it was just a cute way of claiming Dodge gets better mileage than the others. Think about it...diesel exhaust fluid...the fluid needed to make diesel exhaust...diesel fuel. I know, it's a stretch, but I've heard advertisers say weird stuff before. Anyway, my curiousity got the better of me and I googled diesel exhaust fluid. Lo and behold, there is such a thing. This is what Wikipedia says.

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is an aqueous urea solution used in Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) to lower NOx concentration in the exhaust emissions from diesel engines.

Okay, so my question is, do we have such an animal on the 6.4L? I looked through the owners's manual and could find nothing that mentions needing to fill or replace the diesel exhaust fluid as part of routine maintenance, nor could I find any reservoirs under the hood for it so I'm guessing we don't have anything like that on the 6.4L. Am I wrong?
We do not use Diesel Exhaust Fluid
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 AM

Thanks, I didn't think so.

Last edited by cp2146; 04-23-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 AM

6.4L NO

6.7L Yes

Also note the ad for the Ĺ ton hemi starts with a scorpion at the opening, the code name for the 6.7L !
Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFord View Post
6.4L NO

6.7L Yes

Also note the ad for the Ĺ ton hemi starts with a scorpion at the opening, the code name for the 6.7L !
Hadn't noticed that, thanks. How's the weather in Tempe? I was out there the first part of March on a business trip. It was the first time for me to be there for a few days and not just passing through the airport. The Phoenix/Tempe area is really nice.

Last edited by cp2146; 04-23-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Hadn't noticed that, thanks. How's the weather in Tempe? I was out there the first part of March on a business trip. It was the first time for me to be there for a few days and not just passing through the airport. The Phoenix/Tempe area is really nice.
Nice this weekend finally got above freezing, was 102 Saturday and 105 Sunday. Freezing is 102, yes; well it is a dry heat, good for beer sales.

The local PBS aired a special on American transportation with a segment on the freeways in the Dallas area, wow !

Itís the ad with the bikers try to intimate the Dodge driver.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 AM

Rumor has it Dodge will need DEF next year ?

anyone confirm ?

And yes it's lake weather Here in AZ finally

Last edited by ZMANN; 04-23-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Nice this weekend finally got above freezing, was 102 Saturday and 105 Sunday. Freezing is 102, yes; well it is a dry heat, good for beer sales.

The local PBS aired a special on American transportation with a segment on the freeways in the Dallas area, wow !

It’s the ad with the bikers try to intimate the Dodge driver.
Okay, I'll watch for it. Freezing is 102? LOL!! Sounds like Texas weather, except ours is not a dry heat. We don't really have winter here, just a little less hot...85 instead of 105, so I get your meaning.

I didn't see the PBS special, but speaking as someone who does it daily, let me tell you, driving in Dallas is an art form...or madness...depending on how you look at it. Most people use three things to drive here...the accelerator, the steering wheel, and the horn...all while talking or texting on the cell phone.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:

As mentioned earlier, DEF is required on the new 6.7 Ford engines.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Itís the ad with the bikers try to intimate the Dodge driver.

Id die. I cant handle much above 90* in your guys' temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.