Maintenance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-22-2012, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maintenance

I finally pulled the trigger on a truck after doing some research and looking for quite a while! Ended up getting an '08 F350 with 34k on it. Very nice truck and after making the long haul back home with it, I am very impressed with it. However, this is my first diesel truck and need a little help/advice on the routine maintenance involved. I plan on adding a Mini Maxx and DPF/Cat delete, egr delete, and intake here in the future, but as for now it will remain stock (atleast for a couple months).

So far I have seen change oil and filter every 5k miles (easily done), but what else is there to change/do and when? I was thinking about running synthetic. Also what about having the transmission flushed completely. Do you guy recommend this? But overall what should I be doing to make sure the truck stays in prime operating condition?

Thanks for the help!
post #2 of 11 Old 04-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Don't you worry about it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would not run sythetic on a truck with a DPF because of fuel dilution. You wont see any performance gains and DO NOT GO OVER 5K miles on oil with the DPF present so it's not worth the money. I would ust suggest running motorcraft 15W-40. Change the fuel filters every 12k-15k.

Keith
2014 Platipus
AP Intake
Mini Maxx w/ Tyrant MCC Tunes
4" Dual Exhaust
post #3 of 11 Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Delete your DPF. Run synthetic, follow the maintenance schedule in the manual, Assume nothing had been done before unless otherwise known.

2008 (Job 1) F250 King ranch 4x4, snow plow prep package with 2.5 level. Black Maxx, B&W Diehard platinums. Dieselsite coolant and transmission filters, NCU Motorsports/amsoil oil bypass kit. Turbo blankets, 5.5 PMF traction
Please collect and message me Shell, Rotella oil cap codes aka "my miles matter" I'm trying to save up for a hat or something.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I too recently bought my first diesel. I'll add that you need to drain water from the fuel. Also, the truck has two fuel filters; make sure you change both. I don't know about transmission flush, but it sounds good. I'm thinking of installing a coolant filter as well.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 01:17 AM

i would be checking nitrites in the coolant.if the level is good,you're good to go .....otherwise you need to change out coolant.

2008 6.4 job3 F250 3:55 gears 10K gvw silver stretchcab 8ft box.timbrens and goosenek hitch.51 gal aux tank.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Oil every 5,000
Fuel filters every 10,000
I would just drop the pan and change the transmission fluid and filter.

08 F350 cc/sb 4X4
h&s minimaxx, 5" flo pro, 4" down pipe, no limit cold air intake, dirty diesel EGR delete with intake elbow, 6.0 exhaust manifolds, custom up pipes, ported intake manifold, Apex 71mm LP turbo, Rudy's cold side pipe, diesel site coolant and transmission filter, diesel site intercooler boots, ccv mod, bilstein shocks, gogo dd solenoid, HID lights, Airdog II 165, PMF traction bars, PMF drag link, moshimoto aluminum radiator
post #7 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Don't you worry about it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
with that low of miles I would go ahead and flush it and keep on top of flushing it every 30k. What I wouldnt do is wait until 130k miles and then flush it for the first time. I made that mistake on my old 7.3

Keith
2014 Platipus
AP Intake
Mini Maxx w/ Tyrant MCC Tunes
4" Dual Exhaust
post #8 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojanman88 View Post
I finally pulled the trigger on a truck after doing some research and looking for quite a while! Ended up getting an '08 F350 with 34k on it. Very nice truck and after making the long haul back home with it, I am very impressed with it. However, this is my first diesel truck and need a little help/advice on the routine maintenance involved. I plan on adding a Mini Maxx and DPF/Cat delete, egr delete, and intake here in the future, but as for now it will remain stock (atleast for a couple months).

So far I have seen change oil and filter every 5k miles (easily done), but what else is there to change/do and when? I was thinking about running synthetic. Also what about having the transmission flushed completely. Do you guy recommend this? But overall what should I be doing to make sure the truck stays in prime operating condition?

Thanks for the help!
Do the Maintenance on schedule.

Deletes will help in longevity, synthetic oils will help as well but there is a cost tradeoff here and they are not recommended to go further than the OEM recommended change intervals. Look into by pass filters they help keep the fine stuff out of the engine oil.

Do the Maintenance on Schedule

Transmission should be serviced ever 30K miles if it has an external filter great if not consider installing one. Internal filter is a Large piece filter, external is a finer filter.

Do the maintenance on Schedule

Look at a Air Dog or FASS setup , this will cut down or eliminate cavitation in the injectors and make the tips live longer.

Last suggestion, do the maintenance on schedule.

Cheers

2008 F450 King Ranch 4X4
H&S Tunes
5" down pipe back exahust
4.30 L/S gears
AFE CAI
265/70R19.5 Michelins
Pure performance 4 link front suspension
Kelderman Air-Ride
FASS fuel filter
PTP EGR Delete
Train Horns under the front bumper
2013 Radio/Nav/sync upgrade

494Rwhp/975ftlbs......

post #9 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD05 View Post
Do the Maintenance on schedule.

Deletes will help in longevity, synthetic oils will help as well but there is a cost tradeoff here and they are not recommended to go further than the OEM recommended change intervals. Look into by pass filters they help keep the fine stuff out of the engine oil.

Do the Maintenance on Schedule

Transmission should be serviced ever 30K miles if it has an external filter great if not consider installing one. Internal filter is a Large piece filter, external is a finer filter.

Do the maintenance on Schedule

Look at a Air Dog or FASS setup , this will cut down or eliminate cavitation in the injectors and make the tips live longer.

Last suggestion, do the maintenance on schedule.

Cheers
And be sure to do the maintenance on schedule.

Wayne

2008 F350 Lariat 4X2 CC 6.4L
dark blue over grey
totally stock and love it that way

Last edited by cp2146; 04-24-2012 at 11:54 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also I was wondering, what is all you'll experts opinions on the "mini" mods that can be done to these trucks to help their longevity and reliablity? I have been looking over the threads and seeing various things, but can't keep up with them all. The things I have seen include:

1. Coolant Filter
2. Water separator
3. CCV reroute

But I'm sure there are more. Do you guys reccommend doing these things immediately or at what priority level? Also are there any others? Just looking for some new guy input and helps.. once again thanks!

Last edited by lojanman88; 04-24-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode