Truck just out of warranty.. What to do for longevity? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 04:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck just out of warranty.. What to do for longevity?

I've got a 2008 6.4, everything stock except for the intake. I have an AFe box and filter. Just passed the 100k mile mark. Warranty replaced one injector and a downpipe which started to leak and make a terrible whining sound. I'm not looking for a hot rod necessarily. I jut want to do a few things to make the truck run better, longer, and use less fuel. I presume you all will suggest deleting the DPF and getting a small programmer to bypass the DPF in the computer. Also not looking for lots of smoke/noise. Will deleting the DPF cause either? Are there any other things you would suggest for me to improve engine life and performance? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Delete the DPF and don't look back. I guess it depends where you live tho. If you have diesel emissions tests or not. I deleted my DPF and DOC back in Jan and it is an awesome difference. I'm sure it is a little louder (but I don't really notice, or care to notice I guess), and only time I see smoke is if I just straight floor it. Otherwise hardly any smoke daily driven (maybe a little haze if I kinda get on it). I am running the Spartan 300EL tune. Haven't tried any others, but I'm sure the quality of the tune is awesome for all of them (as I love the 300). I went from averaging 13mpg to 17mpg. I live 2.2 miles from work (and 90% of the time take my motorcycle for that), but I mix between driving into town (about 30 miles) 2-3 times a week and driving around town. I do try to let my truck warm up every time I start it (with the high idle mod) and try to make my trips around town where I am stopped the shortest amount of time possible.

I would also suggest deleting the EGR. I couldn't tell any real difference in performance, but take off your intake (where the upper EGR dumps in) and you will agree you should have deleted those a long time ago!

I would also try to do some sort of CCV mod. If you take your CAC pipe off, you will most likely see some oil in the pipe. The crank case vents to your intake and then all that oil goes through your whole system and through your turbos (definitely not good for them).

Other than that, I am going to be adding a Sinister or DieselSite bypass coolant filter, transmission filter, AMSoil bypass oil filter and an AirDog II.

That's all the info I've got as far as longevity, take it or leave it for what it is I guess

But I'm sure you will have plenty more responses.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:27 PM

By the way I also have a 2008 with the 6.4
Old 04-20-2012, 07:45 PM

I'm mostly familiar with cummins so I don't know about the EGR stuff. I'll have to do some research. Also don't know what the CCV and CAC are lol.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonTW View Post
I'm mostly familiar with cummins so I don't know about the EGR stuff. I'll have to do some research. Also don't know what the CCV and CAC are lol.
The EGR just cycles hot air from your exhaust back into your engine. It has to do with an EPA requirement that lowers NOx emissions from your vehicle. But in doing so you are putting soot back into your intake manifold and cylinders. I wish I would have taken a picture of the inside of my intake when I did my EGR delete. If I get a wild hair in my A$$ tomorrow while I'm working on my truck I'll take the CFM intake off mine and take a picture of it for you.

As far as CCV, that is the Crank Case Vent. Basically venting from the oil case into your intake and putting oil through your whole system and your turbos. Really just a piss poor design by Ford engineers.

CAC is the Cold Air Charge pipe. It is the pipe on the cold side of your intercooler (passenger side). When Ford designed it, it was crimped to fit between the radiator and the radiator support. Really it isn't going to help your longevity, it just makes sense to fix it with a pipe that isn't crimped. Just helps with airflow to your engine (drops EGTs some, and makes your engine work less). Engines are just glorified air pumps, so the easier you can make air flow through them, the more efficient they will be.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does anyone have directions and a parts list for a homemade ccv mod?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

trade it in on something with a warranty. either that or put a few hundred dollars a month aside for a rainy day, and it will probably rain.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsabine2003 View Post
trade it in on something with a warranty. either that or put a few hundred dollars a month aside for a rainy day, and it will probably rain.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Wow such a pessimist over here. I know plenty of people with 6.4s and even with 6.0s that are running well with their trucks.... heck I have an 08 6.4 running just fine and I'm picking up a '05 6.0 in the next week or so!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPBJJ View Post
Does anyone have directions and a parts list for a homemade ccv mod?
I can show you what mine looks like, but I know they guy making them has asked for his design not to be shared (since it is so simple). If I had looked at it before I could probably have built it for less, but the ease of it just being shipped to me was worth the money I spent. I'll save elsewhere. I'm pretty sure you can just do a search for the CCV mod and there are plenty of pictures of it.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks. R u venting it to the atmosphere? Or does yours have a filter and stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.