Big Blue; job 2, reg cab, 43MI - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Big Blue; job 2, reg cab, 43MI

Howdy,

So i guess we'll start this off with a big thank you for all the help this forum has already provided!

I'm looking at, and likely going to buy, a 2008 6.4L Powerstroke with 71,000 KM on the clock. I've done a substantial amount of research on this particular vehicle over the last several months but i would really appreciate more educated perspectives on the subject.

Pulled the Oasis and it seems that the truck had some of the relatively common 6.4 issues dealt with at the dealer; RAD, Tensioner, Turbo Manifold, Charge Air Cooler(?possibly?). The relevant entries in chronological order include;

Customer Comments VEHICLE IS SMOKING BLUE, CHECK FOR COOLANT LEAK.
Tech Comments FOUND RAD LEAKING FRONT THE LEFT SIDE. REMOVE AND REPLACE RAD.
Details 4595927 25 6.3 BLUE STAR FORD LINCOLN SALES LTD 30042 13-OCT-09 8C3Z 6K854 A
Customer Comments CHECK FOR ENGINE HOWL.
Tech Comments FOUND PIPE FROM MANIFOLD TO TURBO LEAKING BOTH SIDES AND ALSO FOR EGR
TO TURBO LEAKING AND REPLACED 3 PIPES. RETEST OK.
Details 4622625 26 .2 BLUE STAR FORD LINCOLN SALES LTD 30322 22-OCT-09 8C3Z 9940602
AA 33015801

Customer Comments INSPECT REASON FOR TICKING NOISE FROM ENGINE AREA TICKING GOES
FASTER WHEN AC CLERATING
Tech Comments DIAG AND INSTALL PULLEY AND BELT AS PER TSB 09 09 8
Details 5448556 29 .7 BLUE STAR FORD LINCOLN SALES LTD 34265 04-FEB-10 7C3Z 6K775 B
Customer Comments VEHICLE IS REGENERATING TOO OFTEN AND DOES NOT SHOW ON DISPLAY
EXCESSIVE SMOKE
Tech Comments DIAG ETC TEST FOLLOW SYMPTOM CHART CK EXHAUST POWERBALANCE RDTEST
MONITOR PIDS AND FOUND TSB 08 25 1 REPLACED CHARGE AIR COOLER ASSY
Details 5424449 29 1.2 BLUE STAR FORD LINCOLN SALES LTD 34265 04-FEB-10 4G7Z 14B268
A 33282605

Customer Comments SQUEELING NOISE FROM ENGINE AREA
Tech Comments DIAG NOISE FOUND TENSIONER WORN INSTALLED TENSIONER AND RETEST OK
Details 6182536 34 1.7 BLUE STAR FORD LINCOLN SALES LTD 39718 12-JUL-10 8C3Z 12B591
D 33663701
Customer Comments WHILE DRIVING MESSAGE CENTER SAID PULL OVER SAFELY AND VEHICLE
DIED AND WOULD NOT RESTART NO CRANK
Tech Comments DIAG P242D PINPOINT TEST AND PID DIAG RE AND RE #3 EXHAUST TEMP
SENSOR READING TOO HIGH RETEST OK

Gulp.

When i did my inspection of the vehicle it appeared to be in quite good mechanical condition. This is with the notable exception of the brakes and tires. No shudder or pull in the brakes but a fair bit of travel. The dealership is going to throw in fresh rubber and replace the pads... I'm taking it to a Ford dealership on Friday for a third opinion.

I've worked with these motors before and I'm aware of how spectacular they CAN be with the right combination of maintenance and common sense. I'm very excited to learn more about this new tool, even if it turns out not to be this specific truck. let me know what you guys think.

Garrett M.
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Any thoughts on the truck guys?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
thats the usual 6.4 stuff. my 6.4 has 20k miles and im starting to hear the belt tensioner squeak so im sure it will go soon. the radiator problems were the early 08's and it should be good to go since it was fixed already. the regeneration and smoke, most 6.4s do. i was complaining about my 2010 6.4 with 15k miles smoking blue and they said it was normal so i did the dpf delete and have been loving the truck. plus it gets rid of all that other junk and less stuff to go wrong. glad they are throwing in some new tires and brakes for you, hopefully your getting a good deal, use the oasis report to work them down
Old 04-19-2012, 01:42 PM

Initially they wouldn't go any lower on the price; when i pointed out a few obvious deficiencies AFTER claiming the truck had already safetied and E-tested they seemed to change their mind. It also didn't hurt that i caught the dealer's owner in a flat out lie;

'That's just a ford thing, we serviced those brakes when the truck came in and those tires will safety no problem young man. this dealership has been around for 20+ years and has a reputation for honesty... yadda yadda yadda' - hands me a crumpled service record

'Really?! because it says 2003 duramax under this BBQ stain!'

Anyway, i've not had to deal with the owner since and he seems to be approving most everything i try to slide by; a nice set of 35's, pads/rotors/calipers depending on what FoMoCo has to say, and rust-proofing.

Great, well thank you for the input; i wouldn't have felt right about the purchase if i didn't run it by you guys first.

I guess my next question pertains to tuning; its a 70Km motor that i'll have a warranty on until the fall when i throw a plow on it (no plow prep package). I'd like to tune ASAP but i want to wait a couple weeks just to make sure i've purchased a fairly reliable truck.

At what point would you say its safe to kiss FoMoCo goodbye? I'll be hauling quite a bit and will be taking over the vehicle's maintenance as soon as i relocate in about three weeks.

I'm looking at an H&S minimax, S&B CAI, and exhaust - torn between maintaining rusty stock look with DPF delete OR a full-on 4" straight pipe set-up?

G
Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 PM

They are great trucks when taken care of and the right mods. You just have to take the time to learn about the engine and signing onto the forums is taking that step to knowing your engine. Post some pics if ya get it, I like to see what other people are doing with their regular cabs
Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 PM

I was trying to the first time, i'll give it a second shot. The last one is of the car i sold to buy this diesel - i'm not afraid of maintenance.

i love the look of your trucks by-the-way.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Blue; job 2, reg cab, 43MI-big-blue-drivers-side-.jpg   Big Blue; job 2, reg cab, 43MI-big-blue-fr-.jpg   Big Blue; job 2, reg cab, 43MI-big-blue-drivers-back-.jpg  

Last edited by hothands; 04-20-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 AM

Looks nice. I want them running boards. I have seen them for reg cabs a few times but very rarely. Those things are sharp. Let me know if ya sell them
Old 04-20-2012, 05:43 AM

Really?! i was thinking they'd be the first thing to go - that and the pinstripe. if you think its worth the shipping i'll send 'em right on down. lemme know
Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 PM

Yesss, I agree with the pin stripe but it's not my truck so I wasnt going to say anything haha.yeah let me know a price and I will see what I can do. My zip is 45247 for shipping, let me know if you get the truck and hopefully we can work something out about these steps. Not many people have regular cabs so when I see someone selling running boards I don't even look. Haha. If you do get the truck, get some pics up close to the running boards to show the condition, rust, dents, scratches. They don't have to be perfect I just want to know what I'm paying for. Thanks a lot
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 PM

SITREP;

i picked the truck up today after getting it checking out by a ford dealer on friday. not long after leaving the used lot the truck went into regen (1-1.1K idle and rough shifting). i didn't really think too much of it at first but after about a half hour of city driving i became extremely concerned when i stopped to make a call. in Park, foot on the brake still, the idle jumped to a consistent 2100!!! i couldn't sit in it like that so after maybe thirty seconds i turned the vehicle off and went for a coffee. when i turned it on again it did the same thing... decided to go for a longer highway drive (about 450KM by day's end) after reading in the manual about 'passive regeneration'. got out of regen eventually but i mean the 2100RPM bit REALLY freaked me out. am i worried over nothing besides the obvious DPF nonsense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.