5.4L or 6.4L in Superduty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5.4L or 6.4L in Superduty

Hey guys. Looking into getting a Superduty. I like the look of the 08-2010's. Most likely either a Supercab or Crewcab. Primary use is going to be for work and mostly just daily commuting to and from jobs. So the truck will be towing a trailer and hauling crap in the bed.

I've been looking around for a used one and just debating on what engine choice to get. I've heard alot of things about the unreliability of the 6.4's, but also here that the 5.4's in the superdutys have a lack of power. Whatever engine i get, i will do the usually modifications (eg. exhaust, programmer, intake, etc.) There are alot of Superduty's in the area that have the 5.4's, but i dont know how much power it'll have, especially with the weight of a 3/4 ton truck.

I love the thought of a diesel, but unsure because of all the problems i have heard the 6.4's have. If i get a SD w/ a 6.4L, what milage should i be looking at? most ones i have found have over 100,000km's on em' and dont know if that is to high or not. Especially considering the damage it might have with the stock components still on it. I'm just skeptical that if i get a 6.4 with that many km's it'll have to many problems even after i delete the DPF, CAT, EGR, etc.

Sorry for the long post. Lol. Any help would be great!

Last edited by RF25092; 04-18-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Dont waste your time on the 5.4, they are pretty much just junk. NO power, and crappy MPG.

The 6.4 is awsome, i have about 200k on mine and runs just as strong as a new one. If you do a DPF delete, egr delete, tuner, exhaust, coolant filter, and maybe a external tranny filter the truck will last you a long time as long as you keep up on the maintance. The 6.4 has no more problems than anyother truck out there. You might get a good one like me or you might get a bad one.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstroke_02 View Post
Dont waste your time on the 5.4, they are pretty much just junk. NO power, and crappy MPG.

The 6.4 is awsome, i have about 200k on mine and runs just as strong as a new one. If you do a DPF delete, egr delete, tuner, exhaust, coolant filter, and maybe a external tranny filter the truck will last you a long time as long as you keep up on the maintance. The 6.4 has no more problems than anyother truck out there. You might get a good one like me or you might get a bad one.
Thanks for the reply. Nice truck. How many km's were on the truck when u purchased it? Did u delete the DPF/ EGR as soon as you got the truck? I guess what i'm saying is that if i get a 6.4 in my price range, i'm probably gonna pick one up with 150k+ and there are no tuned/ deleted 6.4's around so it'll probably have been stock since day one. should that make a difference?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 PM

I bought mine with 140k on the truck. I deleted the dpf, tuned, and a CAI as soon as i got it. I will be installing the egr delete, coolant filter and a coolant flush this week. The only problem i have had with the truck is a pulley tensioner. I had a oasis report ran and there wasnt nothing major.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
I bought mine with 140k on the truck. I deleted the dpf, tuned, and a CAI as soon as i got it. I will be installing the egr delete, coolant filter and a coolant flush this week. The only problem i have had with the truck is a pulley tensioner. I had a oasis report ran and there wasnt nothing major.
Thats good to hear. This is probably a stupid question, but since I'm new to the whole diesel world, is an oasis report basically I diagnostic test for the truck ? Mechanical wise?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF25092 View Post
Thats good to hear. This is probably a stupid question, but since I'm new to the whole diesel world, is an oasis report basically I diagnostic test for the truck ? Mechanical wise?
You got it. Demand one!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There's a reason Ford doesn't even offer the 5.4 anymore. They're a waste of resources.
I'll admit, they are hit-or-miss and you can find the occasional 5.4 that is decent MPG and power. But more often than not, they are pieces of craaaaaaaaap.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonw2 View Post
You got it. Demand one!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Lucky guess. Lol. That will be the first thing i do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkcr View Post
There's a reason Ford doesn't even offer the 5.4 anymore. They're a waste of resources.
I'll admit, they are hit-or-miss and you can find the occasional 5.4 that is decent MPG and power. But more often than not, they are pieces of craaaaaaaaap.
Makes sense. A 5.4L in a 3/4 ton truck. lol. Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely not consider getting a 5.4 in a Superduty.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Lucky guess. Lol. That will be the first thing i do!
Makes sense. A 5.4L in a 3/4 ton truck. lol. Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely not consider getting a 5.4 in a Superduty.
At work we have a regular cab chassis F350 with a utility bed (not very heavily loaded) and it has the 5.4 and won;t get out of its own way and gets like 8mpg....

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Nice truck. How many km's were on the truck when u purchased it? Did u delete the DPF/ EGR as soon as you got the truck? I guess what i'm saying is that if i get a 6.4 in my price range, i'm probably gonna pick one up with 150k+ and there are no tuned/ deleted 6.4's around so it'll probably have been stock since day one. should that make a difference?
I purchased my 2008 (mine is the "bad" Job 1 truck) in Jauary this year with 162K on it. Stock front to back. I drove it about a month or so averaging 12 or so mpg (mostly in town stuff) I deleted the truck, and she runs GREAT! I also had an Oasis report run on the truck and it came back basically clean. I am up to 166k now and zero issues
Old 04-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:

Quote:

OP:
You are in canada and Benstroke is in the USA... I JUST want to make sure that you guys both understand each other....

He has close to 200,000 Miles on his truck....Not Kilometers

Just thought i'd bring that up as IMO that makes quite a bit of a difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.