New member: Looking at purchasing: - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New member: Looking at purchasing:

Hey Everyone,

New to the diesel scene (I hope). I'm looking at purchasing this 08 F350. I've checked it out myself, and done lots of online research and reading. However it seems for every negative review, there's a positive review to match.

Just wanted to get some input from the boards here and see what everyone thought. I'm getting a 90 point inspection done at Ford on Friday for it, but the truck is really clean.

Here's the link, and any input is appreciated.

2008 Ford F-350 Lariat for sale in North Vancouver, British Columbia - $27,999

A bit of a background story is that I currently drive a VW GTI, however I'm moving to Alberta in the next few weeks for work. Between the harsh winters/salty roads my car would just get destroyed out there. I've found a dealer that will take my car straight for the truck so my options are limited in a sense. The prices up here in Canada a bit more than down in the states. This is an average to below average price for this truck year, and specs (lariat, etc).

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First, welcome to the org. As I'm sure you've already seen, you can find a wealth of information on this site. In my opinion, there's nothing better to learn from than other people's experience. There are lots of folks on here who are more than happy to help you figure stuff out.

To your question, though, it looks like a nice rig. That's about what I paid for mine, with about the same number of miles on it (after I converted the number to miles instead of kilometers). And with the exception of the sunroof and drop down video screen, my interior is exactly the same. If possible, get an Oasis report on it. That should tell you any and all work that has been done on it at a dealer.

If you've done much reading on this forum, you've probably already seen the NUMEROUS threads about deleting the DPF, CAT, and EGR. Honestly, there are as many differing opinions on this subject as there are threads discussing it. From my own personal research, I can see the benefit of dumping all that stuff, if for no other reason than stopping the ridiculous regens (exhaust regeneration cycles). Many people will tell you that getting rid of the emissions garbage will help the longevity of the engine. In fact, the service manager at my local dealer has told me that as well, but that doing so before the warranty expires will void the warranty. That's the only reason I have not deleted mine yet. I have too much money invested in extended warranty to throw it away. But that's just me. Other people may feel differently.

Other than deleting those items, just keeping up with regular maintenance will go a long way towards a long and happy life for the truck. Good luck. I hope you get it.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for the response Wayne.

I have read numerous threads on the EGR delete, and what not. I also read a bunch on threads from the 6L diesels, about injectors being a big problem, has that carried over to the 6.4L?

With the warranty on this truck all but done, 3K left, I think I would look heavily at that. Is there a rough cost for an EGR delete kit?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 AM

I believe an EGR delete runs about 250 with an intake elbow. I would delete the DPF and egr and tune it with a minimaxx. Especially if the warranty is almost done. By the way your truck is almost identical to mine except i dont have a camper shell
Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djackson34 View Post
Thank you for the response Wayne.

I have read numerous threads on the EGR delete, and what not. I also read a bunch on threads from the 6L diesels, about injectors being a big problem, has that carried over to the 6.4L?

With the warranty on this truck all but done, 3K left, I think I would look heavily at that. Is there a rough cost for an EGR delete kit?
Not having read much on injectors in the 6.0, I don't know the answer to that. However, I have seen some posts about injector issues in the 6.4. I think with any diesel engine you will find the occasional problem with pretty much any component in it. When I first joined the org, I kept seeing posts about leaking radiators on the 6.4, but so far I haven't had a problem. You kind of said it yourself, for every negative comment you see, there is a positive comment. I'd go so far as to say that for every negative comment, you'll find three positive comments. Ford builds lots and lots of trucks, and they can't all be having problems.

As for the EGR delete package, I don't know what that costs. For the DPF and CAT delete package, depending on what tuner you go with, it's around $1500.00. That includes a H&S Mini Maxx tuner, the delete pipes and air intake. If you go to Performance Truck Products website, you can find eveything you'll need, as well as a very friendly sales staff that can help you determine what package would be best for you. Obviously there are other sources for this stuff, but in my opinion, PTP is the best. One thing about the Mini Maxx tuner is that you can turn off the EGR funtion without actually having to remove it. A lot of guys do that and it's most likely what I'll do at first when the time comes. Then later on, when time and finances permit, you can go in and actually remove the parts.

Last edited by cp2146; 04-19-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 AM

I need to clarify something. I didn't mean that my truck has been completely problem free since I've had it, quite the contrary. I have fought with an electrical gremlin that was causing my truck to go into reduced power mode (limp mode) and throw several DTC codes and the CEL light to come on. Unfortunately it was one of those problems that could have numerous causes (mostly a butt load of sensors), but fortunately the dealer finally found the culprit and replaced it. It's been a little over a month now and the problem hasn't come back (knock on wood).
Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I've read about the rad problems as well. I guess everything is only as good as you take care of it - to a certain degree. I like the white set up, and the canopy would be up for sale right away! haha
Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 PM

If you decide to sell the canopy, post it on this site. I bet it wouldn't take long to sell.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you think so? Are there lots of members in the NW here?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djackson34 View Post
Hey Everyone,

New to the diesel scene (I hope). I'm looking at purchasing this 08 F350. I've checked it out myself, and done lots of online research and reading. However it seems for every negative review, there's a positive review to match.

Just wanted to get some input from the boards here and see what everyone thought. I'm getting a 90 point inspection done at Ford on Friday for it, but the truck is really clean.

Here's the link, and any input is appreciated.

2008 Ford F-350 Lariat for sale in North Vancouver, British Columbia - $27,999

A bit of a background story is that I currently drive a VW GTI, however I'm moving to Alberta in the next few weeks for work. Between the harsh winters/salty roads my car would just get destroyed out there. I've found a dealer that will take my car straight for the truck so my options are limited in a sense. The prices up here in Canada a bit more than down in the states. This is an average to below average price for this truck year, and specs (lariat, etc).

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.