To get Load Leveling air bags or not? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To get Load Leveling air bags or not?

I have a 2010 F-250 2wd and pull a 11K lb fifth wheel from time to time. My question is do i need to get load levelling air bags or not? Also any other solutions you would recommend? Below is a pic of the Fifth wheel on my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
To get Load Leveling air bags or not?-photo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 AM

Why do you think you need to load leveling?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD05 View Post
Why do you think you need to load leveling?
I dont necessarily think I do just want the opinion of the ORG.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 AM

My 2 cents onthe subject, Most folks put way too much on the back of their trucks so much so as they are over what the manufacture recommends. I will be told that I an full of crap and that "I do it all the time with no issue", but that is not the case.

The factory suspension is setup to handle a specific amount of weight to provide a car like ride that most require or have come to know. The issue comes when the truck is loaded to 80-100%+ of that rated capacity. Air bags helper springs, more springs, Air Suspensions are all directions to go in and there for the most part is little thought given to the system as a whole.

If you are happy with the ride quality of your rig hauling the fiver why would you change it. If your not examin the whole system and see what can be improved. Spring rates, Tire size/width, axle capacity, brake capacity, gearing, etc.

In my case, I wanted a better quality of ride light loaded but retain the load carring capacity loaded plus the added benifit of automatic load leveling.
My rig is set up to haul a slide on camper at 5500#dry. add another 1500# wet and loaded there is a bunch of weight up there.

The lowest capacity is the Air suspension at 13,000#, followed by the rear Axle (S14 110L) at 14,000# and the tires at 23,200# @110PSI. My truck weighs in at 9900# with a 60/40 split empty I have 4000# on the rear end subtract that fromthe lowest capacity system (Air Springs) I have a true #9000 carying capacity and a 2000# safety margin.

Look at your weights and capacities and do the math, you will quickly find out where things stack up and what needs to be improved/replaced.

I suspect just using your picture as a reference you rig rides fine with the said load hooked up.

Cheers

Again just my 2 cents.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM

It rides fine really i just wonder what long term effects hauling heavy loads has on the leafs? Like I said I haul the fifth wheel 8 times a year on average and no more than 2 hours 1 way. So im guessing I am probably fine.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Like death and taxes everthing comes to an end sooner or later. Abused come to an end sooner than cared for equipment.

Hope this helped.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have 2cents to throw in this bucket....

i dont always overload my rear axle/tires...i do have Firestone air bags in both of my pick-ups....

i find that when i am empty the rear air bags help with some lane hopping; which happens to me on some of the tight curvy, bumpy parkways in NYS. ( i keep 15-20 psi unloaded ; out of 100psi max)

when i have a load on.... the bags also help with keeping my headlights at the proper height so i dont get high beam flashes from oncoming traffifc at night...nor do i get looked at by enforcement, cause my truck does not appear loaded. Not to mention i like to maintain adequate frt axle weight for steering and stopping.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

2more cents......

i also pull utility trailers up to 9ton....with equipment & attchments (buckets etc...)

and my Jayco is 8k+...and 29ft off the bumper tow....the bags make towing very enjoyable. all of my air bags are filled via valve stems; no on-board compressors.

i can put a full cord in my Dirtymax shortbed...no problems steering and stopping.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 PM

Just looking at the pic , you seem fine without them. The truck and trailer both appear to be level. Whats the pin weight on the trailer?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonm View Post
Just looking at the pic , you seem fine without them. The truck and trailer both appear to be level. Whats the pin weight on the trailer?
the hitch weight is 2185 Lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.