about to do a coolant flush - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
about to do a coolant flush

I am going to do a coolant flush in the next week or so I'm finally getting rid of the ford gold!! I have three jugs of cat elc (red) They are already pre mixed 50/50 and they are 1 Gallon jugs....How many gallons does the cooling system hold? Im going to be taking it to a dealer to have it done and since they need directions half the time is there anything I should tell them to do like flushing with just water or adding vc-9? just want to have them get it right the first time
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 AM

I think the engine holds like 7 or 8 gallons.

I guess it depends on how they do the flush and if they get all of the water out of the engine before they refill.

Typically you go through the process of flushing and end up with 3 gallons of distilled water in your engine. Then fill with 4 gallons of concentrated coolant/antifreeze and then add more distilled water to top off which in the end provides a 50/50 mixture.

Maybe someone can chime in with an answer filling with 50/50 with water already in the block or flushing all the water out completely.

Oh and BTW if you're instructing a dealership mechanic to do the coolant flush you might want to read up on it. There are a lot of threads on this subject particularly for the 6.4.

Last edited by Capt dong; 04-17-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 AM

6.4 coolant flush process

Well here ya go this will HELP you out ALOT
Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 AM

I highly recommend you get the concentrate and not the 50/50 mix. You will only get about half of the water out of your cooling system. If you fill with 50/50 you will never have the proper mix of coolant and water in your cooling system.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 AM

well thats disappointing news because I got the 50/50 mix for free. Also with the coolant filter I heard somewhere when doing a flush to close the ball valves? is this true or do I just leave them open?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 AM

I would also like to know whether or not to close the ball valves!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
well thats disappointing news because I got the 50/50 mix for free. Also with the coolant filter I heard somewhere when doing a flush to close the ball valves? is this true or do I just leave them open?
I hear ya man it would just suck to do it and then it not be done right. I just thought i would give you my opinion. Also i didnt close the ball valves. Not sure if it matters or not
Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Ill just go out and get the concentrated stuff i like to do things right the first time so I'm glad you mentioned it. I can keep a jug of the 50/50 on hand if I ever need to add some. Does anyone else have input on the ball valves? I can't see it mattering especially when some kits don't even come with them. I just remember reading on here a while back someone said make sure they are closed when you do the flush
Old 04-17-2012, 12:16 PM

The only reason i can think to close them is so you dont plug up your coolant filter right away during the flush. Hopefully someone else will chime in with their opinion.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 PM

I also highly recommend getting the concentrate, for reasons already stated above.
As for the ball valves, I flushed mine with them in the open position. My coolant filter was also new though, so I had to replace it around the 500 mile mark anyways. I replaced the filter around 1000 miles and it still got pretty hot after running truck, so I'm positive it wasn't plugged up. Before I used the restore and restore plus I did several flushes with just water, and i got a decent amount of sand out just doing this.
BTW when I did the flushes, I would also spin my coolant filter loose to drain more coolant out of the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.