6.4 fifth wheel hauler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile 6.4 fifth wheel hauler

Well guys, I went and did it. I bought an 08 f350 crew 4x4 dually with the 6.4 with 44,000 miles to pull my fifth wheel camper.
I know the mileage sucks on these trucks and am not real concerned about it. I only plan on putting about 5000 miles a year on the rig.
Are there any mods that I should consider to pull my 34' fifth wheel?
Exhaust, chips, programmers, cold air, etc.
I own a 03 7.3 liter that I can't seem to keep a trans in (edge CTS related) and don't want to make the same mistakes with this dually. Bone stock on the 6.4 might be just fine but am looking for any and all suggestions from you guys!
Please don't let me make the same mistake twice, my pockets are not that deep!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the same truck, bought for the same reason. What I've done in the name of making it a better tow beast is DPF/ DOC delete, Spartan tuner, EGR delete, CCV mod, mag-hytec trans pan and rear air bags. Depending on the pin weight of the trailer you may not need the air bags (pin weight on mine is 3200 dry, so the bags help keep it level).
Tuner selection is personal preference but get one that has DPF and EGR removal capability ( by far the two most popular are Spartan and H&S). Getting rid of the DPF and the EGR systems are the most important, IMHO, for tow rig reliability.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Hes got it pretty well down
Old 04-16-2012, 03:25 PM

Camper weighs in at 11,400 empty and has 1900 lbs pin weight. I just put Firestone bags on my 7.3 but since that is going to be my everyday driver, I might put them on the dually just because.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:27 PM

Have you had ANY issues with your mods? I want this to be a dependable tow rig but wouldn't mind making some rice burners turn there head every now and then!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM

The only issue I've had was with a closed loop CCV mod that I bought. Caused me a turbo rebuild . I've since made a better one myself and got rid of the one I bought that was made out of PVC pipe and plastic pot scrubbers. The CCV mod is worthwhile and if you can stand the smell it’s easier /cheaper to just vent to atmosphere. But the importance of the CCV mod is minor compared to getting rid of the DPF and EGR systems.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM

You can see in my signature what I have done to mine to pull a 15,000# 5er around and to hopefully have no issues with it in the future, good luck have fun.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM

Still looking for any and all suggestions. I don't want to do anything internal or crazy, just bolt on and go stuff. Like I said, this truck is for only pulling my fifth wheel. We pulled 1500 miles one way to Glenwood Springs Colorado last September to do an elk hunt (no luck) and averaged about 7mpg. Did your mods help pulling and mileage?
Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM

General 6.4 Modifications

This will have all the info that you should need.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 AM

If you want to get better mileage towing, slow down. While towing, I never let the boost to go above 20 PSI. That equals about 63 MPH on the flats and if in hills it slows down depending on the hill to about 55. On a few steep long grades keeping it below 20 PSI it slows to the point of down shifting to 4th and the EGT's drop significantly. Mileage runs between 9.2 and 10.2 hand calculated. My fifth wheel is about the same as yours My mods are H&S Mini Max running on mild, 4" downpipe back exhaust and a SFE intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.