To buy or not to buy... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To buy or not to buy...

Im a diesel noob, so be kind...
Im looking for a f-250-350 for daily driving, towing a bass boat and occasionally a 28' 5th wheel no farther than 8 hours.

But my main problem is $money$, I dont want to spend over 15K. So im limited to either the 6.ohhh or a 7.3 that all have high miles or the gas guzzling V-10.

That was until I happened to find a 2008 6.4 with 174k miles on it for $15k. But it looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet. The interior looks pretty clean, but the inside of the bed is really dented up and it has a turn-over ball installed. Would you guys even suggest buying it? It is a #1 also...02/07

Any info and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dustin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 04:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Old 04-14-2012, 04:20 AM

Welcome to the org

I think you would be well advised to pass on that truck and continue shopping...just my .02.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 AM

id stay away from it especially if it still has the dpf in place your just taking a big chance
Old 04-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies.

The thing I dont get is diesels are supposed to last longer than gas motors, but it seems like they last the same amount of miles now and need to be maintained like a Lamborghini. I suppose this is due to the EPA and other emissions bs?...

But yeah. Im going to take my time and look for a 6.4 that has been treated better and I know the history of it.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankn101 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The thing I dont get is diesels are supposed to last longer than gas motors, but it seems like they last the same amount of miles now and need to be maintained like a Lamborghini. I suppose this is due to the EPA and other emissions bs?...

But yeah. Im going to take my time and look for a 6.4 that has been treated better and I know the history of it.
That's pretty much why. There is no such thing as driving a diesel truck because it is cheaper to operate anymore or more reliable than a gas powered truck.

I own one because of the ability to make a lot more usable power than a gas truck and still have very reasonable fuel mileage. And I just really like anything diesel powered.

Anyways, stay away from that 6.4 you mentioned.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:09 PM

you can thank the epa 100% in my opinion. If you were to get two identical trucks brand new and they were driven completely the same and one was stock and the other on had egr delete dpf delete ccv vented to atmosphere and anything else emissions taken off of it I will guarantee you it will last quite a bit longer then the one with the emissions left on it. Im not saying that will give you a bullet proof truck but the emissions junk on there is terrible for the engine
Old 04-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks big govt. Now we get less miles per gallon plus we get to replace our vehicles sooner, sounds "green" to me.

I was seriously looking at 7.3s, but after reading how fast the 6.4s are plus backed by that tranny I think its a no brainer.

If I buy one all original but was maintained correctly. Whats the maximum amount of miles I should be looking for? Remember I dont want to spend too much, I like to pay my toys off in about 3 years.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:18 PM

I bought a 2005 XL for 20k in 2007 and now I cannot replace it for less then 15k. The old diesels are holding their value very well. Not like a gasser.
But get a gauge, check the coolant and go shopping, good trucks from scared owners will show, just don't let them know what you know and price them down.
My cheap truck and my friend's 6.0's have been great performers with proper coolant maintenance. Last summer I met a camper that would have sold his cheap just to stop having to clean his turbo at the dealer twice per year, it was a low milage XLT 4X4.

PS. SCangaugeII programed for the 6.0L x-gauges will also read 6.4L data required for truck quality test.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Last edited by caissiel; 04-14-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:29 PM

7.3 will cause less headaches and cheaper to fix. 6.4 is WAY faster. But if you want reliability in a 6.4 you better be ready to spend some money. The tranny is great no lie there. Having a new one built as we speak. If your set up right, maintain, and treat your diesel right, it will out fuel, outlast, and obviously smoke a gas truck of same size. Diesel is still way togo if done right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.