new guy questions just curious - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 02:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new guy questions just curious

hey y'all just had some questions. for clarification, i'm a wyotech student at the moment. im graduating very soon. im a jeep guy, but i was raised ford. my 89 wrangler got totaled a few months back and ill be looking into a new ride when i get home and start work. ill be driving an hour minimum to work and back, so i need decent mpg's. i decided i want a powerstroke. always have but never had the money. i cant afford a new 6.7, but i dont want a 6.0 or older, so im stuck with the 6.4. my instructors have told me about some of the common issues with them, head issues with gaskets and such, variable vane turbo issues as well. i figured this would be the best place to ask if i would be making a mistake buying a 6.4 powerstroke, and if i do buy one, what might i be looking at for possible short term issues if any. all help would be awesome, and please dont hold back, i need to hear what i need to hear. thanks yall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Head gasket issues have not been with the 6.4, the 6.0 had the gasket and stud problems. MPGs will be your biggest issue, however deleting emissions components from the truck both increase economy and help prolong the life of the 6.4. A DPF delete and a tuner are a must for economy, A tuner will also shut down the EGR in most situations but deleting the EGR is not a bad idea either. If you are planning on staying around the +300 hp threshold stock heads/gaskets and studs are fine. The transmission has also proved to hold up rather well with these tunes although it would be the next thing I look at.
Most common issues the 6.4s have had are bad radiators, coolant leaks and less common are EGR failures, all on stock trucks. Clogged DPFs are also something that comes up from time to time. I had to replace a waterpump at 107k
Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw33 View Post
Head gasket issues have not been with the 6.4, the 6.0 had the gasket and stud problems. MPGs will be your biggest issue, however deleting emissions components from the truck both increase economy and help prolong the life of the 6.4. A DPF delete and a tuner are a must for economy, A tuner will also shut down the EGR in most situations but deleting the EGR is not a bad idea either. If you are planning on staying around the +300 hp threshold stock heads/gaskets and studs are fine. The transmission has also proved to hold up rather well with these tunes although it would be the next thing I look at.
Most common issues the 6.4s have had are bad radiators, coolant leaks and less common are EGR failures, all on stock trucks. Clogged DPFs are also something that comes up from time to time. I had to replace a waterpump at 107k
awesome thanks so much! for the time being it will be my DD so im not going to beat the piss out of it yet. ive been looking into egr and dpf deletes what tuners should i look into? ive heard good things about sct. from my world, i like superchips, i have not heard good things on any banks stuff either. what yall think?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
H&S or Spartan for the 6.4's

SCT also but those two are the leading ones/recomended ones right now
Old 04-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

SCT was good for the 6.0, As mentioned above, Spartan and H&S. I have Spartan and drive it daily with a 250 tune, I need to update and get the 275. Spartan seems to have good customer service here and they are always working to improve the 6.4
Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw33 View Post
SCT was good for the 6.0, As mentioned above, Spartan and H&S. I have Spartan and drive it daily with a 250 tune, I need to update and get the 275. Spartan seems to have good customer service here and they are always working to improve the 6.4
yeah ive heard so much about spartan, but damn theyre expensive! well i just found an 08 with 81,000 on it. theyre asking 26,000 firm. just talked to my dad back home where ill be from june on, and he said they have some with a little more mileage for low 20s. i really need it now but i think ill be patient and wait until im home. what kind of mpg's do you get with the tune? whats average?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

15-18 just depending on how i drive, hand calculated.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

H&S and Spartan are fine tuners, plenty of power and mileage to be had with both. Many happy users in both camps. Cost is about the same.

If all you wanted to do was remove the emissions and gain the mileage, the cheapest unit is the DPF-R+. Users I know who have used are very happy with the added power and mileage.

SCT and Edge/Superchips have gotten out of the delete business and now offer only emissions compliant devices. However, if you search hard enough, you may be able to find a used one. Just don't expect support other then from custom tuners.

As for DPF friendly devices, the best is Banks.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide app.

Last edited by smotrs; 04-10-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 AM

yea mpgs really sucks and you'll just have to except it, plus fuel is more expensive then gas, but you know what they say you have to pay to play... after my mods I avg 17mpg (70% highway)
Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
H&S and Spartan are fine tuners, plenty of power and mileage to be had with both. Many happy users in both camps. Cost is about the same.

If all you wanted to do was remove the emissions and gain the mileage, the cheapest unit is the DPF-R+. Users I know who have used are very happy with the added power and mileage.

SCT and Edge/Superchips have gotten out of the delete business and now offer only emissions compliant devices. However, if you search hard enough, you may be able to find a used one. Just don't expect support other then from custom tuners.

As for DPF friendly devices, the best is Banks.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide app.
i've also been thinking about making my own exhaust system as opposed to just doing a dpf delete race pipe. whats the dpf-r+?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.