08 programming thoughts, what do you think? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
08 programming thoughts, what do you think?

I've been thinking guys and I had a rant about thing before but I want your input on it......now when you reprogram a diesel, any diesel ,GM, Ford, Dodge, etc...you usually get more smoke, some times a lot more smoke right? I have noticed that a lot more guys are coming on here complaining about not enough power and programming options for the 6.4.....now I read in Diesel Power about the reprogramming of a 6.4 with Bully Dog and the editor said the truck went into regen a lot more, meaning that they DPF was getting clogged a lot more. Now I wouldn't know because I was smart enough (yeah right) to gut my DPF....here is my question what happens when the DPF goes bad because of the excess regens and its time for replacement? If the truck is reprogrammed the dealer isn't going to do it under warranty any way, so why not get rid of it all together .....just a thought for those who are looking to reprogram the new 6.4 and keep the DPF on.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
I don't know but that seems like a good question.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I seems like removing the DPF isn't worth the risk of loosing your warranty.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:07 AM
Let's Run'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
I seems like removing the DPF isn't worth the risk of loosing your warranty.
So would you agree that if you don't want to lose the warranty period, you shouldn't do a programmer at all regardless if they can see if you have reprogrammed the truck or not???
Old 09-26-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboStroker View Post
So would you agree that if you don't want to lose the warranty period, you shouldn't do a programmer at all regardless if they can see if you have reprogrammed the truck or not???
I wouldn't. When i was talking with the Ford guys from Texas that came up they confirmed that any type of reflash could be seen. Unless i had some extra cash laying around for when something goes wrong i know i wouldn't be touching anything.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:33 AM

program or don't

It's a matter of deciding how badly you think you need the warranty. Since there've been programmers and other neat add-ons to hop up the P'Stroke, we've been doing it, but we always wait until at least 10000 kms to make sure we're okay and that was learned by accident. I actually had a 2001 7.3L dually take off on a runaway - couldn't shut the engine down, tach pinned, until it even sucked out and burned off all the engine oil and melted her down. That was at about 1000 miles and I hadn't touched that one yet - good thing, so it was all warranted to the tune of a brand new $20K install, right off the line. All the same, my '08 dually's getting stripped of the the whole exhaust system once the more common programmers come with a full-bore regen delete. Without removing the delete cycle I wouldn't dare run an aftermarket exhaust just as I wouldn't dare run with the PDF still in place and no regen cycle - it'll plug off and that's it for the engine in short order. I still think this 6.4 is a helluva good engine, but I also think it was prematurely released. The aftermarket will fix it up, I'm sure. and as I mentioned in a different post, I refuse to believe there are fewer emissions from burning way more diesel fuel no matter what's on the exhaust system
Old 09-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Let's Run'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by spburns View Post
It's a matter of deciding how badly you think you need the warranty. Since there've been programmers and other neat add-ons to hop up the P'Stroke, we've been doing it, but we always wait until at least 10000 kms to make sure we're okay and that was learned by accident. I actually had a 2001 7.3L dually take off on a runaway - couldn't shut the engine down, tach pinned, until it even sucked out and burned off all the engine oil and melted her down. That was at about 1000 miles and I hadn't touched that one yet - good thing, so it was all warranted to the tune of a brand new $20K install, right off the line. All the same, my '08 dually's getting stripped of the the whole exhaust system once the more common programmers come with a full-bore regen delete. Without removing the delete cycle I wouldn't dare run an aftermarket exhaust just as I wouldn't dare run with the PDF still in place and no regen cycle - it'll plug off and that's it for the engine in short order. I still think this 6.4 is a helluva good engine, but I also think it was prematurely released. The aftermarket will fix it up, I'm sure. and as I mentioned in a different post, I refuse to believe there are fewer emissions from burning way more diesel fuel no matter what's on the exhaust system
I believe the 6.4 was released too early as well.....I mean right now, for someone who doesn't know a whole lot about diesels will look at all GM, Dodge, and Ford.....the fact is that the 6.4 is the smallest motor, only has a 5 speed auto tranny, and is getting the worse fuel mileage out of the three stock. Then on top of that you have the hardcore diesel heads that are stand offish to the new emissions.....now do I wish I got a different truck? HELL NO! But I do think it would have been smarter on Ford's part to waited a year build a lot more hype and equip it with a 6 speed auto....I'm not knocking the torque shift, but when it comes to fuel mileage, which is a big concern, another gear never hurts....just my
Old 09-26-2007, 12:55 PM

Really it depends on a lot of things. I've never seen it stated by Ford that the DPF is limited to X amount of regens before requiring replacement. More frequent regens just mean worse fuel economy not necessarily sooner failure. As for the dealer knowing about a tune I've heard they can tell and I've heard techs tell me no they can't. If you have a dealer that doesn't care then it doesn't matter either way.

My personal feeling is I want the DPF gone from the truck however I won't touch it till I feel comfortable that there are no major issues. I've owned many vehicles and anything major (that isn't my fault) has shown itself in the first 20-30K miles...usually sooner. Barring any head stud/head gasket issues or other major failures by the time I hit the end of my base warranty I will more than likely remove my DPF and get a tuner. If a severe enough problem occurred after I did that I would put the DPF back on and return it to stock and deal with a dealership that is modification friendly. Otherwise it's on me anyways.

Bill
Old 09-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
IF you are going to program the truck, remove the DPF -- if you aren't going to remove the DPG - its almost pointless to get a tuner IMO
Old 09-26-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboStroker View Post
What I meant was if you gut your DPF so you don't have to buy a new one thats around I think $1300 (correct me if I'm wrong). I think the DPF gets worn out over time instead of getting plugged. Here's the thing if you gut the DPF to save money but you'll end up loosing your warranty. Later on down the road gutting the DPF caused the turbo to overspin come apart and go into the engine destroying it your out a good amount of money probably $18000. It sounds like you are trying to save $1300 but you loose your warranty and then you run the risk of loosing $18000 on a non proven engine. I would program the 6.4 with the exhaust untouched and if something did go wrong I would set it back to stock and then take it to the dealer. The dealer I go to doesn't really care about my programmer as long as they see I'm not destroying the truck. Honestly I like warranty's because there cheap and easy to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.