Coolant Loss Question??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Loss Question???

I have an 08 F-350 with 48000 miles on the truck. Its has had 2 radiators replaced over the life of the truck. I've noticed over the past year or so that the truck is slowly loosing coolant however I don't have any symptoms of steam or puking related to EGR or head gasket failure. I've added anout 1.5 gallons of coolant over the past year.

I had an oil analysis completed by Blackstone earlier in the year and they said there was coolant in my oil (0.08% of coolant in the oil). I took it to my dealer and they said everything looks good and pressure test was fine....

I didnt even think about the front cover being the issuse when I took the truck in. The coolant is clean. Would there be oil in the coolant too or is it possible to just have coolant in the oil? Would a pressure test show cavitation toissue the front cover?

I had to pay $100 for nothing when I took the truck in last time and they said it was fine, and that the amount of coolant in the oil was minimal........? Doesnt sound right to me?

Does it sound like a cavitation issue or something else????

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM

I have no external leaks either and the blackstone report also said there was a high amount of aluminum in the sample...

Even more evidence pointing towards cavitation right? Considering that the cover is made out of aluminum!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 PM

No input????
Old 04-07-2012, 06:41 AM

Your logic is good, but the only way to prove it would be to remove the water pump and look.
I think the cavitation issue is due (at least in part) to the radiator cap issue. Cavitation is defined as "the rapid formation and collapse of vapor pockets in a flowing liquid in regions of very low pressure, ". If you lower the pressure in the cooling system (by having a cap that doesn't hold the 16psi it’s suppose to), then you effectively reduce the boiling point of the coolant. Making it possible for cavitation to occur in the water pump where the pressure change between the suction and discharge of the pump happens.
And the less ethylene glycol to water you have the boiling point would be even lower still, making cavitation easier.
Try pressure testing your rad cap and see if it’s holding 16 psi. Then testing your coolant freeze point to see if its over diluted with water.
While maybe not the sole cause for the cavitation issue, they certainly would make it worse.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:31 AM

Yea definitely think the old style cap is part of the problem. Before I became familiar with this issue and thought it was possibly the EGR I took the truck in to Ford and while I was talking with the service advisor he said, oh you have the old style cap and the old hoses too. They then kept the truck for a couple of days doing pressure test and said everything was fine....

They didnt find anything so none of the old defective parts were changed out at that time. I then got the truck and researched the cap issue and went and bought the new cap from Ford. The degas bottle both hoses and EGR valve is still the old style crap.

Ill pressure test the old cap and see if it was holding or not.

Since I put the new cap on and been to Ford a month has passed. My coolant level has dropped about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch since then.

Im going to call the dealer back on my day off and push the cavitation issue and have them change out the the out dated parts.

Thanks for the input

Mike
Old 04-08-2012, 06:03 AM

Will a pressure test even show that there's cavitation to the front cover?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 PM

No, the only thing that will show cavitation is to remove the water pump and look. Low pressure in the cooling system and over dilution of the coolant with water will make cavitation easier to occur (or more severe if it was occurring already).
Old 04-09-2012, 06:26 AM

What i understand is that if there is coolant in the oil there is a good chance the front cover is cavitated. If there is oil in the coolant more than likely your oil cooler has ruptured. Like stated above the only way to know if the front cover is cavitated is to take off the water pump and look. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 AM

Also NVhunter i recommend a flush and switch to a heavy duty diesel coolant such as a cat rated elc.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Thanks guys! I talked to one of the fleet services diesel techs at the local dealer last night and he also thinks its the front cover being cavitated. Im going to bring in within the next week or so. Hopefully I can get all of the coolant parts updated, coolant hoses, degas bottle and EGR valve. Ill keep everyone posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.