How many Daily Drivers do we have out there? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many Daily Drivers do we have out there?

I haven't seen a thread on here about this, and if there already is one, I apologize in advance.

So what I wanted to see was how many of y'all out there use their PSD as a daily driver? If you do, daily towing (avg. Gross wt.?), or just to and from work and groceries? If not, how long does she sit in between runs, and what do you use her for? How many miles/mods/tires, etc? How do you feel about running/not running her as a daily driver?

The reason I'm interested in knowing this is because I use mine as a Daily Driver, and during the summer months (i live in Charleston, SC so my summer months start in April/May and end in Sept/Oct.) i occasionally tow the boat. But mostly groceries, joy riding (less than 10% of the time), and work work work. Where my concern lies is in my $56K machine (didn't pay that obviously) that I love more than my house/gf/etc.--i feel like i have conflicting diesel mechanic angels on my shoulders:

--angel on the left says buy a beater car or a motor cycle so you aren't putting miles on your expensive PSD, and wearing the front end components, etc. out.

--angel on my right says "did you buy that monsterous, awesome diesel truck to stare at it in the driveway, or drive it???" Your truck is tough, and built to drive, not built to sit in the driveway!!!!

I know that it's bad for diesels to sit, but I also know running them requires maintenance and money.

I'm just wondering everyone's thoughts on this topic. Hopefully i'm not the only one out there with conflicting thoughts on the matter. Thanks in advance!!! I effing love my truck!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 05:24 AM

DD to and from work and all other errands. Pull my 10k boat 2-3 times a year. Pull light work trailers often. Have had since 5k miles, have 20k now. Modded at 6k miles. Zero issues and puts a smile on my face everyday.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:36 AM

Mine is also a DD. I also use it to pull tractors, hay, backhoe's and anything else i need to. It has been deleted since about 70,000 miles. Right now it has a little over 100,000 miles. Now that it is warming up i will start using my Harley to save fuel money. I love my truck.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 AM
08MochaTanF350PSD

My truck is a DD, though I am a full-time telecommuter. When I do have to go into the data center, if the weather is good, I'll ride my Harley...otherwise the truck is my transportation!

Don't have anything TO tow yet...but am researching a 5th wheel/toy hauler (as long as I have Internet connection & a phone, I can work just about anywhere).
Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2010 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW 6.4 Crew 14,000 mi
Daily driver 25 mi/day
tow 11,500# 5th wheel camping 2 weekends a month

Last edited by ziggyga; 04-05-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 AM

mine is a DD, to and from work, also use it at work to haul crap, and go get stuff...my fuel is free, so its our main ride on the weekends as well.. but in the summer i take the Harley every chance i can....
Old 04-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Retired Army

used to be my DD till fuel got so dang high! wilsonw2 check out the CPA Chat Thread
Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 AM

My DD to and from work and thats about it. I am so glad I kept my 04 civic instead of trading it in.

Unfortunately the fiancees car was totaled by an ******* with a known medical condition. He had a heart attack at the wheel and slammed headfirst into the fiancee on a major street. Long story short, she is having to sue to get his 3rd world insurance to do anything.

Therefore she is driving the civic back and forth to work instead of me. (Thought about making her take the METRO... )

My commute is 15 miles one way and I'm all highway. But we definitely use the civic on the weekends for groceries and running around so I can almost go a month on one tank of diesel.

I've towed my 'rents 37 foot fifth wheel back before I was deleted and it pulled just fine. All mods and miles in the sig. I've just hit 90k.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I have close to 20k miles on my 2010. It driven daily and tows 8-10k pounds Atleast 3 days out of a week. Its been tuned for bout 750 miles and its not the same truck anymore. Although I wish it sounded like it had power. My 6.0 you heard that thing coming and it wasnt as powerful as this 6.4. On the other hand our 2004 6.0 has only 23-24k miles on it and never had any problems. It sits alot but when it's drove it has 5-6k pounds of dirt or gravel in the back. So when it is drove its drove hard which I think that keeps everything in good condition compared to sitting and then a 15 min cruise then parking again. It's also on its third set of brakes. I don't usually drive the truck to school because of parking issues plus I bought a motorcycle as a toy and gas saver. My bike gets 68 mpg hand calculated and that's with me beating it everywhere go. If it rains I take the truck. Alot of the times when I take the lady out I take the truck, I just like driving it.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 AM

DD, put about 25 miles a day on it mostly hwy. Weekends I pull a trailer, sometimes tractors, fourwheelers, welders, or whatever. I use mine everyday. I have a Harley, but I'm selling it for tires, wheels, and lift.(wifes orders) I love the truck besides the passenger door rattle, which will get tore apart this weekend. Been deleted for about 10,000 miles and no problems. 55,000 or so on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.