Buying a used 6.4, looking for some tips from the experts! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying a used 6.4, looking for some tips from the experts!

Alright guys, powerstroke newb here looking to buy on this coming friday. I'm fairly aware of some of the things to look out for and some of the things these motors have issues with...however I was hoping those who have some experience with these motors could make some suggestions.

Truck is a 2008 Crew Cab SRW Lariat with the 6.4, one owner, no accidents, 116,000 miles and in excellent condition.

Carfax records show complete records for service, with the radiator being replaced at 79,000 miles (an issue i know these trucks have).

I'm really looking for some guidance on things that I should check out and watch out for when buying a used 6.4. I know they have their issues, but I also realize that with being treated properly and tweaking a few things they can be powerful and reliable motors. Also, this truck is 100% stock and will likely get some aftermarket goodies after its purchase.

So far the plan is:

Spartan Tuner (shut off egr, dpf and for milage)
Some sort of downpipe-back straight exhaust
AFE Intake
EGR blockoff plates

Can anyone make any general recommendations for what to watch for when test driving and looking at this truck, and also some feedback on any preventative maintenance and parts to make this thing a reliable ride?

I appreciate everyone's time. I know new guys can get annoying but we all start somewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Same recommendation as always, get an oasis report on it to see in detail what has happened to it. If the previous owner was good with oil changes and filter changes 116k shouldn't be an issue, but the sooner you delete the better it is for the engine. In stock form the truck should be pretty quiet, no excessive injector rattle or high pitched sounds from turbos. Check the coolant level and water separator, Truck should shift smooth, 2/3 shift could feel a little weird sometimes. My truck has been deleted and spartanized since 78k DD on 250 tune and the only issue I have had since was a water pump seal and I need to replace my thermostats, has 115k now.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw33 View Post
Same recommendation as always, get an oasis report on it to see in detail what has happened to it. If the previous owner was good with oil changes and filter changes 116k shouldn't be an issue, but the sooner you delete the better it is for the engine. In stock form the truck should be pretty quiet, no excessive injector rattle or high pitched sounds from turbos. Check the coolant level and water separator, Truck should shift smooth, 2/3 shift could feel a little weird sometimes. My truck has been deleted and spartanized since 78k DD on 250 tune and the only issue I have had since was a water pump seal and I need to replace my thermostats, has 115k now.
Thank you sir, I'll have the dealership run an oasis in the morning.

For exhaust, can you recommend a brand, and also DP-back or Turbo back?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Might as well go turbo back, I just have a 4" turbo back stainless flo pro on mine and I like it, its not too loud unless you want it to be.

There are a few good options for exhaust and several threads on it but from what i've read on here people seem to like their flo-pro setup pretty well, Its the only setup I have had on this truck so I cant give any insight on the others.

I also have an S&B intake, the whole setup seems to work real well with spartan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.