08 F450 6.4 questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 F450 6.4 questions

Hey guys my brother just got a 2008 F450 King ranch with the 6.4 its got 68k on it. I don't really know much about them except like what they are capable of. So I was wondering what would be the best tuner, exhaust size and intake for the truck. Ive looked into the spartan tuning and that's really what we are leaning towards cause he heard somewhere that they use ford codes in their tuning so they have less issues also I was curious about egt's because of the twin turbo what would be a comfortable temp. and would 4" exhaust be to small I know there are other guys running it but just seams small for twins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Spartan and H&S are the two big hitters in 6.4 tuning, can't really go wrong with either one. I run a Spartan and like it a lot, those that run H&S like them a lot , boils down to what the guy forking over the dough likes. As for EGT's ,try to keep them below about 1600 , brief periods up to 1800 won't instantly kill it by not a great idea. And 4 inch exhaust is plenty big enough for the stock turbos. Sound is the only think a 5 inch exhaust has over a 4 incher, no performance gains to be had going 5 inch.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:17 AM

I agree with Atonm for the most part, Spartan and H&S are good companies, H&S has a shift on the fly capability.

I run an H&S Mini very happy with the unit and performance, had some issues withtheh programming but these have been resolved with updates from H&S. Another thing H&S give you is a choice in transmission programming, see the web site.

I have installed both in peoples trucks both are good units/companies. Do your homework before ordering( Check out the companies websites etc)

EGTs, I would like to find out what Ford rates the engine at stock, I have seen responses to this question from 1200 max sustained to 1600 max sustained. After a brief e-mail exchange with PTP I set my defuel at 1250 and set up my Mini to read EGT in the display. I watch that like a hawk when towing or hauling heavy.

While many on the forum will tell you it OK to tow with a 300HP tune "do it all the time" the higher tunes will generate higher EGTs quicker. When I haul my 5500# slide in camper I run the "no power" setting to control EGT. Same when I haul a heavy trailer, I have run the Mild, Wild and Hot settings to see what happens, the hotter the tune the more fuel you are adding and the faster EGT's go up. Aluminum melts around 1200 degree F But since Aluminum is an alloy this depends on what is mixed with it make the particular alloy used in Ford/IH Pistons.

While Exhaust pipe tip temps can get into the 1000 deg mark stock and DOC temps much higher than that it is not indicitive of what is going on in the combustion chamber. However after adding a tunner there is the ability to over fuel the motor More fuel = more power=more heat=shorter life of stock equipment.

Last edited by MD05; 04-04-2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Old 04-05-2012, 04:14 AM

Normal Day to Day EGT:

Empty running 55-60mph 500-700, Average around 675

Running heavy 55-60mph 900-1200, average on the flats 950, big hills 1150
Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD05 View Post
I agree with Atonm for the most part, Spartan and H&S are good companies, H&S has a shift on the fly capability.

I run an H&S Mini very happy with the unit and performance, had some issues withtheh programming but these have been resolved with updates from H&S. Another thing H&S give you is a choice in transmission programming, see the web site.

I have installed both in peoples trucks both are good units/companies. Do your homework before ordering( Check out the companies websites etc)

EGTs, I would like to find out what Ford rates the engine at stock, I have seen responses to this question from 1200 max sustained to 1600 max sustained. After a brief e-mail exchange with PTP I set my defuel at 1250 and set up my Mini to read EGT in the display. I watch that like a hawk when towing or hauling heavy.

While many on the forum will tell you it OK to tow with a 300HP tune "do it all the time" the higher tunes will generate higher EGTs quicker. When I haul my 5500# slide in camper I run the "no power" setting to control EGT. Same when I haul a heavy trailer, I have run the Mild, Wild and Hot settings to see what happens, the hotter the tune the more fuel you are adding and the faster EGT's go up. Aluminum melts around 1200 degree F But since Aluminum is an alloy this depends on what is mixed with it make the particular alloy used in Ford/IH Pistons.

While Exhaust pipe tip temps can get into the 1000 deg mark stock and DOC temps much higher than that it is not indicitive of what is going on in the combustion chamber. However after adding a tunner there is the ability to over fuel the motor More fuel = more power=more heat=shorter life of stock equipment.
^^^^exactly what he said, I have my EGT defuel at 1250 if it hits that I start backing off. Better safe than sorry. now if you are running at the track, a few second spurt of 1400 IMO is ok, but just on the 1/4 mile, never towing.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 PM

thanks

Hey thanks guys for the info it helped a lot now we can start ordering
Old 07-06-2012, 02:31 PM

hey any of you guys with the 6.4l F-450s running larger than stock tires on the stock 19 1/2 wheels? if so what size and do you have any chafing issues on the back set?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes my Last 450 I had 285/70r 19.5 tires on it . The rears were a little close like 1/2" so I had inner wheels made for it, other wise no problems, I will most likely do the same to my new 08 450.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 PowerStroke 7.3 View Post
hey any of you guys with the 6.4l F-450s running larger than stock tires on the stock 19 1/2 wheels? if so what size and do you have any chafing issues on the back set?
running 265/70R's on mine with no issues loaded or unloaded. Watch the tire pressure when loading up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.