Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I want to make it to 300K + miles......

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  jac97psd 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello guys... I have a 08 job 2 and it has been a pretty good truck. Bought it 15 or so months ago.... It was stock. I added the H&S XRT (THE ORIGINAL not the PRO) and did a DPF/CAT delete. I have 132xxx miles on it.

So far the problems I have had are leaking coolant (hose replaced about 5k miles ago.. still see leaking but I dont know if its coolant or what.. havent paid a lot of attention because it has been very minor) ALSO I get the infamous REV-SLAM. This began 30k miles ago and has not stopped. I called Rudys Diesel Performance (where I bought the DPF/Delete) and the suggested more tranny fluid, which numbed the problem.. but did not fix it.

I literally just got off the phone with rudy's and I was told that they have yet to see a truck make it to 300k. Stock w/ no tuning, or modded w/ a suncoast they all suffer from the rev/slam.

Basically what I am asking is do I need to keep my eyes peeled for a steal on a 6.7.... or keep the truck I love and try and get 300k out of it.

#3 ·
Bit*# to them that you added horsepower that didn't come from the factory and the stock trans couldn't take it? I mean I get it, but really?

#4 · (Edited)
You have no idea what you are talking about. I ran the STOCK TUNE.

This problem has absolutely nothing to do with the truck being tuned. Stock trucks do it.... trucks with a sun coast and 300hp tunes do it.

So maybe you should research before you post.... If you have a 6.4 I feel bad for you... regardless I feel bad for you....

The trucks do this both stock and tuned. Don't reply if you don't have any advice.. or know what the hell your talking about. My uncle has a 6.4 with 35,xxx miles... STOCK NO TUNING NOTHING. His does it. He is about to trade it. I don't feel like spending that kind of money.. I'm 21.. he has money.. I don't.

#5 ·
how about you come on here with 59 posts and talk crap

#6 ·
Let's See..... You don't know what you are talking about. So why post in this thread? I don't camp out on the computer... I run a business.. and need my truck for that business. So I post on here if I have questions or problems.

What does post count have to do with anything? And seroiusly... how was I talking crap? Clearly you don't know what you are talking about... That's truth.. not crap :confused:

#7 ·
I bought my 09 new and have never (knock on wood) had a rev slam. I run 300 HD daily. I've never heard of this any idea what causes it?

#8 ·
Well I have about read probably 50+ cases of it :(

I think it is caused by Ford not getting the tranny fluid dip stick set right (if that makes sense) (if I add more fluid it gets better.... then comes back 5k or so miles later) It is a VERY common problem.

#10 ·
Between the 2nd and 3rd shift it REVS and SLAMS HARD into 3rd.

It only does it after turning..... or letting off then getting back into it (not necessarily hard... but not easing) (for example a light is red... you are slowing down then all the sudden it turns green again.... you accelerate again and it acts up and may slam into gear) Earlier I called Rudy's Diesel Performance, H&S, KEM, AND Spartan.... they all knew exactly what I was talking about and said it was a very common problem and both stock and tuned trucks do it.... :confused:

#12 ·
mine does this almost daily.. didn't do it when it was stock.. but it only does it now thats its tuned.. very very annoying.. i always ease back into the throttle as to avoid the rev/slam

#13 ·
See Barry Smith you are in for some fun :confused: (i hope you are lucky and dont have this problem!!!)

p8ntballn2 have you tried tranny fluid? Its so annoying.. mine has gone into limp mode twice... due to the fact of not being able to back out of it.. in big city traffic. ( I live in the country and hate driving in city's and learned i simply cannot drive in them if they call for rapid green/red lights and rapid acceleration.)

#16 ·
Parker,

How many miles on you rig?
What tuner are you using?
What tune are you running?

I run a H&S tuner, before the 300hp tune I had occasional issues with what seem liked a missed or confused shift from coasting to accelerating. Part of my issues was the Coast Soloniod would basicly disengage the transmission and if you "got on it too hard" it would slam. Stupid design, been trying to get KEM to write me a custom tune and maybe that will happen in June we'll see.

I updated the tune from H&S and selected the lowest trans tune, serviced the transmission ( Fluid and filter) and knock wood the problem has not returned in 25,000 miles. I am about due for another Trans service this time I am adding an external filter.

I am not a fan of the "slush box" but digging deep into why Ford did this it is due to 1, lady drivers and 2, they sell more Auto trannies than manual trannies. So no more 6 speeders are offered.

I run my truck in the "no power" setting which has some added power and so far the truck run great just need the trans to work all the time not just in acceleration.

Yes I am looking for a ZF-6 speed but I will need all the associated stuff to go with it and there is a bunch of stuff! Looking for a doner truck any one know of a 08-10 ?????

#17 ·
If you want 300,000 miles on your 6.4,

Delete the EGR and run it in the stock tune, keep up on all the maintenance and do not run it hard.

Longer steady runs are much better than short or stop and go runs. Long story short these motors Ford, Isuzu ( Chevy) and Cummins are not designed for that kind of service life full stop.

My IDI 6.9 went 540K but with several major components replaced.
My 7.3 did 320K with injectors twice, HP pump twice, turbo twice.
my 6.0 made 125K, before eating a set of injectors, HP oil Pump, turbo, oil cooler, head gasket.
My 08 has 77K on it and is fully deleted with a FASS Fuel filter/pump I want to make 200K before switching to a rebuilt 6.7 Cummins.

Things that are killing your engine are
Big HP tunes.
EGR - putting soot directly into the Intake
Restricted Air filters causing the Turbos to work much harder to make power
Regenerations dumping fuel into the exahust stroke to clean the Exahust filters adding even more soot to the EGR system
Poor maintenance by the owners ( yes this happens )
Abusive operation by the drivers.

Yes there are stories of Cummins motors going a Million + miles but they are not tuned to 800HP or drag raced/sled pulled/etc, they are long distance haulers in almost every case....

#20 ·
This is a great upgrade if you are tuned. I highly recommend it. It helps the transmission hold higher horsepower.

#19 ·
Harder shifts are not the problem the lack of engagement is my problem withthis solonoid. The TQ is locked up in 4th at 35mph bu tthe coast soloniod is still allowing the transmission to coast until 5th gear. This is a software control that I would love to bypass.

#21 ·
hhhmmm....I have not had this happen yet. I did have one rev/slam way back when i first tuned it, I got on it real hard, to about 40 mph, let off them smashed it again and it about broke my neck it whipped me so hard. But other than that I have not experienced this....

good luck hope you get it fixed.

#23 ·
One of the main reasons for auto onlyis trying to get a clutch that will hold the power they make now and be smooth enough for the general public. I had a Southbend OFE in my Dodge and it was pretty good but not for someones new truck backing a trailer up hill.

#24 ·
My dad has a job 1cclb that now has 306k and hasnt been deleted 100% stock only thing done to it was exhaust manifold gaskets and studs and the usual maintenance. Still running strong as the day it was new.they do exist

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#26 ·
Well I avg about 50-60k a year so in 5-6 years I'll let you guys know what needs to be done and what parts were replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.