newbie...Looking to buy..Any input - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
newbie...Looking to buy..Any input

I am in the market for a Truck and I have been looking at various Diesels. I have one in mind that I really like with tons of mods done. If i could get peoples opinions on this truck that would be great.

2008 Ford F250 Fx4, CREW, DIESEL, 8" LIFT, 37'S, $20k IN MODS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseyquads View Post
I am in the market for a Truck and I have been looking at various Diesels. I have one in mind that I really like with tons of mods done. If i could get peoples opinions on this truck that would be great.

2008 Ford F250 Fx4, CREW, DIESEL, 8" LIFT, 37'S, $20k IN MODS!
It looks pretty sharp minus a few small little personal "nit picks", but that's just a matter of opinion. Get the VIN and go to Ford and ask for an Oasis report.... That will see what all has been done to it at the dealership as far as warranty work goes. But then again, the truck is Modded so the oasis might not be a good judge as to what have been covered by warranty. It's a starting point though if you are serious about the truck. I would obviously drive it and see how it rides. I would crawl under the truck and look very carefully for oil leaks of any kind, and also for any coolant leaks. Two common things that can go wrong and may or may not be serious. Oil leaks would be a red flag. Price doesn't seem bad for all the mods, but I would talk them down for sure.... There is always a game to play at dealers
Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 PM

Thanks, Yeah I drove it yesterday and crawled all over it... it is extremely nice. if i do pull the trigger on this truck there are a couple little things i don't like but easy to change...Like the Camo rain guards to start...lol. any other concerns or things to look for on the 6.4L
Old 04-01-2012, 01:58 PM

im not a 6.4 expert but have herd alot about them,might wana get the prodution date and see what job# it is cause diff ones had there issues, and the oasis will help u fig out if any of there were already fix or not
Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

From the pictures there are 2 things that concern me (you addressed the first by commenting on the camo window shades!)...
The coolant level is low in the degas bottle - not sure, but this would make me look into radiator leakage. There is one other thing to research and that is front cover/water pump cavitation. By allowing the coolant to be below the little hose in the degas bottle, air is allowed to enter and cavitation happens - it is very common
Good luck!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow View Post
From the pictures there are 2 things that concern me (you addressed the first by commenting on the camo window shades!)...
The coolant level is low in the degas bottle - not sure, but this would make me look into radiator leakage. There is one other thing to research and that is front cover/water pump cavitation. By allowing the coolant to be below the little hose in the degas bottle, air is allowed to enter and cavitation happens - it is very common
Good luck!
I have a question about the "low coolant" below the return hose causing problems. On my degas bottle the return line sits just a fraction above the "MAXIMUM FILL" mark. This line is supposed to be a return.... if the port/hose was below the coolant in the degas bottle (under water so to speak), I don't think it would function properly. Any input on this? I'm not trying to call you out, but it doesn't make sense to me.... maybe i can learn something here. I keep my coolant level in between the two lines, and my return line stays above the coolant level.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am old school as we run lots of diesel equipment that still doesnt have overflow bottles. I am of the ***-umption that if there is any amount of coolant in the overflow bottle, then the rad is full, and life is good?
However, on another website, there was a Ford tech that made the comment that I posted above. My research stemmed from needing the front cover replaced due to cavitation. My truck has had 3 rads, and the lowest level the coolant got to was like in the picture. He stated that these are really high flow coolant systems and air gets injested.
I am not an expert, remember this is the internet, but I am relating my experience....
Research '6.4 front cover cavitation'! Hope this helps
Old 04-02-2012, 12:56 PM

Bigshow, i see where your coming from. Ill do some research myself and see what I can dig up. BTW, i looked at my degas bottle after posting my last comment, and the return line sits about flush with the max fill line marking... the bottom of the return line sits underneath the marking. Either way, i still keep my coolant below the opening. I'll research it.
Lindseyquads, sorry to derail your thread! Did you make a decision about the truck, or are you still shopping? The posting has now been removed from craigs list.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 PM

I want to thank everyone for there input, it was very helpful. I did do a Oasis Report and all was good. I did go pull the trigger and purchase the vehicle and I have it at a local Ford Dealership having some Warranty work done. First thing I plan on doing when I get it back is take the rain guards off...lol. Then i'm going to do a complete Service Oil Change..Trans Flush...Coolant flush and fill with ELC (CAT EC-1 Rated) coolant...Diff drain and fill..Fuel Filter. Again.. Thanks for all your input
Old 04-06-2012, 03:04 AM

Congratulation on the truck!! That's awesome, and I bet you are extremely excited to own it! It sounds like you are definitely going to take care of it.... Maintenance is definitely key on these things, but it sounds like you already know that. Good call on the coolant flush and switching to a CAT ELC or CAT EC1 rated coolant!! If you have a hard time finding the restore and restore plus flushing agents then lemme know. Congrats again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.