tongue weight issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tongue weight issues

ok, I have a 2008 f-250 lariat and I pull a 7000lb trailer with it and i was always told that you should have about 10-15 percent tongue weight to prevent sway.

My problem is I have about 19%. My truck squats 3 inches when I hook up my trailer and I measured the tongue weight and it is right at 1350 pounds. Now does anyone know the max tongue weight on the F-250. I do have a weight distributing hitch.

Will I be fine at this weight? Am I putting more stress on my springs and shocks.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You answered what would be my first question and stated you have a weight distributing hitch (which I also use with my enclosed car carrier that's about 8K pounds loaded). My truck rides DEAD level, with less than a 1/2 inch difference between the front and rear of the trailer, with the truck planed out PERFECT.

Most people would agree that ideal tongue weight is 10% (up to 15% max) of the trailer's total weight, higher or lower than that can cause a variety of issues. I had to experiment quite a bit to get it to ride the way it does now, including the height of the hitch (got an adjustable one) and it's angle (likewise adjustable with washers and set pin), the number of links on the weight distribution bar chain and the location of where the chains hook up and their angle...

WHEW! Of course adjusting one thing affected one or more other measurements and at times it downright maddening, but the end result is worth it. Now that I'm in the process of changing my suspension I'm going have to do it all over again, but rolling down the road with that piece of mind is priceless.

I'd say that a set of air-bags (like FireStone, etc.) would help, but you're barely at 1/2 your max towing capacity (tongue weight not withstanding) so I would think with some tinkering with what you have you'd be good to go...

There are some excellent towing (sub) forums out there with an invaluable amount of information that should definitely be able to help too...
Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM

The factory hitch on my truck says 12500 with wd hitch, so that would be 1250 to be 10%.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:00 PM

Don't listen to the towing capacity fantasy... your real ratings will be limited by axle ratings and payload and don't confuse 5th wheel ratings with hitch ratings. For example, with the F250 maximum GVWR of 10000lbs your 1350 tongue weight would mean that you could load up about 650-700lbs of additional cargo plus about 150lbs of assumed driver weight before you would be overloaded on payload. Your actual payload is listed on the Tire and Loading sticker on the driver's side door jamb.
If your trailer is really 7000 lbs, then a 1350 tongue weight means that the trailer is probably not level, which you should be able to fix by adjusting your hitch. For the real deal, punch in your numbers here: Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

The max rating of a Class IV hitch is 1250lbs, so 1350 would be too heavy for that as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 PM

I weighed my F250 to see what the "real" weight is - came in at 8200# with my wife & I and a few things we always carry, so that's essentially the "empty" weight. That leaves us with 1800# we can put in the truck. My hitch from the factory is a class V with a 17000#/ 1700# tongue weight rating. Last time I weighed my trailer the tongue came in at about 1600# That's a bit heavy and a little over the 15% and a long way from the manufacturer's stated 1250#. My GMC 2500HD towed it for 10's of thousands of miles without a problem. Now that the GMC is replaced with my Ford we're taking a few short trips before we do another 10,000. Just be sure your hitch is adjusted right and you'll be ok.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Don't listen to the towing capacity fantasy... your real ratings will be limited by axle ratings and payload and don't confuse 5th wheel ratings with hitch ratings. For example, with the F250 maximum GVWR of 10000lbs your 1350 tongue weight would mean that you could load up about 650-700lbs of additional cargo plus about 150lbs of assumed driver weight before you would be overloaded on payload. Your actual payload is listed on the Tire and Loading sticker on the driver's side door jamb.
If your trailer is really 7000 lbs, then a 1350 tongue weight means that the trailer is probably not level, which you should be able to fix by adjusting your hitch. For the real deal, punch in your numbers here: Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

The max rating of a Class IV hitch is 1250lbs, so 1350 would be too heavy for that as well.
Great link thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.