Worth it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Worth it?

I am new to the forum and have a question about the 6.4L. I am looking at buying a 2010 F250 Lariat with the 6.4L and wondered if there are any problems with the motor that I should look out for? Do they have any issues like the 6.0 did? Also anything specific I should look out for with the truck in general? Thanks in advance.

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well just start going through the 6.4 threads and you will quickly see that deleting the DPF and CAT will greatly increase the the reliability and longevity of the truck. This will require a tuner and delete pipes however that will void your warranty if left on while at the dealership and they flag you. Some dealerships are lenient however and can let it slide....

I would think the next major issue lies within the EGR system. This recirculates hot exhaust(soot) back through the EGR valve and into the intake to go back through the compression cycle. You can read EGR delete threads on here that talk about the large amounts of nasty soot cake built up on the insides of the intake manifold that is almost impossible to remove with out taking the manifold off. The soot mixes with the crank case return vapor to make a muddy black soot coating that can get very thick and nasty. This is what can end up going back through your motor. That is why EGR deletes are put on the truck. This also however will void the warranty and takes a tuner to shut it off so no codes are thrown within the truck.

Your truck will thank you though for removing all these restrictive devices even though they are 1)Illegal 2)warranty voiding. You will see that guys on here, such as myself, have a lot of warranty left yet chose to remove for the sake of the engine. I want a truck that will last a long time so thats why I did it.

Going back to the DPF, stands for Diesel Particulate filter. It catches the exhaust after it goes through the CAT. Every couple of hundred or so miles it goes into Exhaust regeneration. Additional fuel is dumped into two of the cylinders to super heat the exhaust to burn off the built up soot inside the DPF filter. This high heat puts a large amount of stress on the motor and other vital "Organs" such as the turbo. You will read that guys on here have been "Deleted and Tuned" for MANY trouble free miles where as some that arent deleted have had many issues. Coincidence? Maybe I dont know....Just think of it like you are trying to breathe in and out through a straw, very hard. Remove the straw and you can function so much better. Same concept with the truck and the DPF and CAT. Take a look at my thread that I started that shows pictures of the inside of the CAT and DPF, you will see why it is very hard to flow through(They call it a honeycomb on the inside). I find that the super duty trucks have wonderful interiors and have a bad A looking exterior. These trucks, when the maintenance is taken care off properly will treat you and your wallet very nicely. This is a little hint at the types of things you will find out by reading this forum. All of the guys on here are very welcoming and helpful. I had questions just like you did when I first joined and through digging and asking the vast majority get answered quickly and accurately.

Does anyone agree with what I said, or disagree? Or want to make corrections? I think what I have said is fairly accurate, correct?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:03 PM

I think you more then answered this guys question. I just can't stress maintenance enough
Old 03-24-2012, 06:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
On a 2010 you should see little to no issues with the 6.4. The earlier 6.4 Job 1 and 2 08's had a few issues here and there, but by 09+ they had pretty much cleared up the mechanical issues. As was said maintenance is KEY. These new motors (No matter what brand) do not take kindly to lack of maintenance like the older motors used to.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Is there anything I should look out for on a used truck? Also if its not too much to ask could you give me a recommended maintenance schedule to follow??
Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 AM

If you decide to get the truck, make sure you get an oasis report done so you know the trucks past history. It is fords version of a car fax. And since the truck is new enough everything will be one there. oil every 5k, fuel filter every 10k, and I do tranny fluid every 30k. I do diff fluid every 50k, coolant every 50k. Those are the big things.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:33 PM

herd of 6.4's!

there's a two day high school rodeo going on here....i've never seen so many 6.4's pulling huge livingquarter trailers in one place...probably 100 trailers obviously not all ford but the many i walked by i checked the tail pipe...90% were stock...some job1's and not a trace of soot on any of them.i was impressed.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:00 PM

There are TONS of stock 6.4's out there. They run good stock, run better tuned! Who ever you know in that high school rodeo tell them good luck, I miss the days of rodeoing!

Last edited by blackcloud2k; 03-24-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:21 AM

James W,

I also think atwoojr answered the question completely. I too have a 2010 Lariat CC. I bought it as a steal with 13K miles on in it. I immediately took the warranty risk shorty after. I have since put on 25K miles with the EGR-DPF delete with the SCT and RCD 450 tune. I have used the truck as a daily driver, to pulled large snowmobile trailer and a 10K 5'er several times. The truck runs stronger and better than it ever did. I view the changes as saving fuel and saving the engine from the EPA.

Since I took the warranty chance a year ago my next step is shut the the EGR completely with the Sinister kit and change the whole exhaust to 4" from the down pipe to the exhaust tip. I would expect cooler temps thus resulting in even better mpg thank I am getting now. The truck is a beast now I would expect it to be one on steroids.

Anybody have any experience with the EFR shut of and the down pipe expansion? If so, it will help me get psyched and get over the length of the job and the cost.

Thanks

2010 F-350 Lariat CC LB 3.55 11500 GVWR nicely equipped
Old 03-25-2012, 06:28 AM

I assume EFR meant EGR? If you are pretty good with a wrench then the EGR is not that big of a deal. Took me about 5.5 hrs to do mine with one buddy helping. Down pipe expansion, are you talking about putting in a different downpipe? If so that is easy. Took me an hour to do. I just went ahead and cut my stock downpipe and pulled it out since I am now out of warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.