Need Some Ideas!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Some Ideas!!

OK, have a 08 6.4L and the other day when accelerating from a stop light the truck went wide open. Both feet were off the pedals, go pedal not stuck down, it was up. Had to shut the key off cycle the ignition, then all was well again.

It has done this several times in the last couple years, this time it ate a glow plug and damaged the valves. So now the head has to come off and I dont want to have to pay for this twice.

Any Ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Holy cow, that sounds like it could be very dangerous.....To be honest I have no answers I can provide you but make sure if anyone ever does drive your truck with out you, make sure they know to cycle the ignition off like you did.

So it was a run away wide open going until you were able to kill it?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM

Take to dealership and have them hook it up to the computer. Also is the truck stock
Old 03-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Wow man...That is some scary crap
Old 03-14-2012, 03:33 PM

I've never had that happen that's insane! I have been sitting at a stoplight with my foot on the brake and it stated Erving up to about 1500rpm until I tapped the throttle. Made me really nervepus did it about 3 times stock never since it's been tuned. I would have ford look at it and they should for free weather it's under warranty or not that's a huge saftey concern
Old 03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I've never personally heard of this but would have to think it was something goofy with the common rail fuel system. I can't imagine it's something with the accelerator pedal, because ford pedals are redundant in the amount of throttle pedal potentiometers used in the throttle pedal, so you would have to have multiple failures for it to rev up from that. If you did have any issues with the throttle pedal it would most likely go into a limp mode and idle only.

Crappy thing is if it's not logging any codes you'd almost have to try and watch data when it's acting up to diagnose it. I'd be looking at FRP actual and FRP desired readings to see if anythings going on there.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2elvis View Post
OK, have a 08 6.4L and the other day when accelerating from a stop light the truck went wide open. Both feet were off the pedals, go pedal not stuck down, it was up. Had to shut the key off cycle the ignition, then all was well again.

It has done this several times in the last couple years, this time it ate a glow plug and damaged the valves. So now the head has to come off and I dont want to have to pay for this twice.

Any Ideas???
Btw, you are sure it ate a glow plug? Or was it a overfueling issue and it melted down the piston? Really haven't heard of to many glow plug problems with later style glow plugs.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
Btw, you are sure it ate a glow plug? Or was it a overfueling issue and it melted down the piston? Really haven't heard of to many glow plug problems with later style glow plugs.
It ate the tip of the glow plug, I replaced it and the glow plug code went away.

The engine now has an extra knock in it and doesnt run correctly.

Just test drove after #2 glow plug replacement, no tuner, truck stock and sure enough again Wide Open from a stop. Holy cow this time had to clean my pants, was in trafiic and almost had major problems.

So it seems like now its happening more often. Ran a compression test and found #2 cyl 310 and the rest 420psi. So at this point I know there is engine damage just not sure if its valves or piston.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

Alright fella's looking for input... Anyone??
Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 AM

Sounds like your truck is cursed. Screw the dealership, you need an exorcism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.