cab pull time on 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cab pull time on 6.4

How long aprox does it take to do a cab pull on the 6.4psd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I watched mine being done at the dealer and it was under 4 hours and it was up in the air.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenn View Post
I watched mine being done at the dealer and it was under 4 hours and it was up in the air.

This is one of my biggest frustrations with this truck. Designing a cab off engine bay is just the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. You're talking $300 - $400 in labor before the tech can actually touch the motor (not to mention the additional labor to drop it back down). Drives me up a wall that they're taking the wrench out of the weekend warriors hand, and sticking it to us even more so with the outrageous labor charges.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thero View Post

This is one of my biggest frustrations with this truck. Designing a cab off engine bay is just the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. You're talking $300 - $400 in labor before the tech can actually touch the motor (not to mention the additional labor to drop it back down). Drives me up a wall that they're taking the wrench out of the weekend warriors hand, and sticking it to us even more so with the outrageous labor charges.
you want the Ferrari of diesel pickups? you deal with Ferrari like maintenance!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
you want the Ferrari of diesel pickups? you deal with Ferrari like maintenance!
I'm always the first to admit that I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I fail to see how that applies to my comment in any way ... and I'm stretching to see how it even makes sense. The Ferrari is an extreme sports performance car, the F250 is just a regular ol' superduty truck designed to be a work horse. It's not an extreme performance vehicle that .01% of the population owns. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you have the $250k+ to buy a Ferrari you probably don't sweat the repair costs....

This isn't a matter of maintenance, I'm perfectly happy to maintain my truck on the extreme schedules that the 6.4 demands, in fact I thoroughly enjoy doing it. My statement and issue was about designing an engine bay that requires the entire cab to be pulled for major engine work / repairs because the large majority of owners don't have the means to do that on their own.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 AM

I do agree Thero, the cab off design is ridiculous! I would love to know the reasoning why Ford designed it that way!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acelay View Post
I do agree Thero, the cab off design is ridiculous! I would love to know the reasoning why Ford designed it that way!
So people have to go to the dealer for repairs... Not the only reason but they don't mind.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton1985 View Post
So people have to go to the dealer for repairs... Not the only reason but they don't mind.
Sadly I agree that's probably a very legit reason ... it puts a LOT more money in dealers / Fords pockets when they make it so most people can't do the repairs / modifications. But for those of us who enjoy working on our trucks it pretty much sucks!!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks guys this hellped alot!! now do you recomend ford doing it or a shop?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thero View Post
I'm always the first to admit that I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I fail to see how that applies to my comment in any way ... and I'm stretching to see how it even makes sense. The Ferrari is an extreme sports performance car, the F250 is just a regular ol' superduty truck designed to be a work horse. It's not an extreme performance vehicle that .01% of the population owns. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you have the $250k+ to buy a Ferrari you probably don't sweat the repair costs....

This isn't a matter of maintenance, I'm perfectly happy to maintain my truck on the extreme schedules that the 6.4 demands, in fact I thoroughly enjoy doing it. My statement and issue was about designing an engine bay that requires the entire cab to be pulled for major engine work / repairs because the large majority of owners don't have the means to do that on their own.
The correlation is that the 6.4 is the most potent factory diesel truck, performancewise. You pay for it by having to remove the cab. Funny thing is, once the cab is off, the engine is a lot easier to work on than most trucks leaning over the grill/fenders.

If you don't have a 2 post lift and don't have a good, competent mechanic who does, and don't want to rely on the dealer? You can either break your back trying to do work cab-on, you can pull the engine, or you can not buy a truck that requires cab removal to do repair work. Seems like a pretty simple equation to me.

If you sweat the repair costs, why buy a truck that isn't shade-tree friendly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.