Recommendation, please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recommendation, please

I know there will probably be as many opinions about this as there are people who read this forum, the same as with how often to change the oil, but what do you guys think is a reasonable interval for changing the fuel filters? I changed the oil yesterday and while it was on the rack, drained the fuel/water separater. All I got out of it was a couple of drops, literally. I want to keep clean filters installed, both topside and framerail, but don't want to change them unnecessarily if they're okay. The book says every 20K miles or 24 months, whichever comes first, but that seems like an awfully long time between changes.

Wayne

2008 F350 Lariat 4X2 CC 6.4L
dark blue over grey
totally stock and love it that way

Last edited by cp2146; 03-07-2012 at 12:40 PM.
post #2 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 12:45 PM

I plan on changing my fuel filters every 10K, well really every two oil changes. So I would say between 10-12k. That all may change however if I decide on throwing an Airdog on the truck. I havent really put much thought into that yet though.....

*2009 F-250 CCSB Fx4 *Ranch Hand Front and Rear Replacement *Blue LED's shining on front and back floorboards
*Zebco 33 Mod
*H&S Black Maxx *Diamond Eye 4" *aFe and custom airbox *Color matched side vents *Home-made Coolant Filter *Fumoto oil valve

[IMG][/IMG]
post #3 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would change the filters every 10,000 miles. With my airdog i plan on changing them every 20,000 miles

08 F350 cc/sb 4X4
h&s minimaxx, 5" flo pro, 4" down pipe, no limit cold air intake, dirty diesel EGR delete with intake elbow, 6.0 exhaust manifolds, custom up pipes, ported intake manifold, Apex 71mm LP turbo, Rudy's cold side pipe, diesel site coolant and transmission filter, diesel site intercooler boots, ccv mod, bilstein shocks, gogo dd solenoid, HID lights, Airdog II 165, PMF traction bars, PMF drag link, moshimoto aluminum radiator
post #4 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If all you got out of the drain valve was a couple drops it may be clogged it should flow fuel continuously when opened.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
try poking a little pin up there it may be clogged with debris either way I would get it unplugged asap and always change both filters at the same time. Im way over kill i change my filers about every 8000-10,000 kilometers. I look at it as insurance and I drain my seperator weekly into a water bottle and at most got only a drop or two of water the rest is pure clean fuel.....i do mine so much because im paranoid about the fuel system on this thing and dont want any water what so ever getting thru because I know ford wont hesitate to make me pay for the expensive repair. Even tho they have warrentied everything else and im deleted

01/07 Job 1 F350 H&S Tuned. ARP Studs, AFE 4'' straight pipe, EGR delete with elbow, AFE stage 2 CAI, 6'' lift on 37s, 20x12 Fuel Nuts two piece, Sinister coolant filter, CCV Mod, Projector headlights HID kit
post #6 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
my ford service mgr, told me every 10,000, i do it every other oil change

08 F350 MINI MAXX,5"FLO-PRO DPF DELETE, AFE INTAKE,HID'S,BFG A/T'S ON 20" BMF NOVAKANES,TIMBREMS,BLACKED OUT BUMPERS GRILL,STEPS RACING STRIPES,PAINTED HEADLIGHTS ,FABTECH LEVELD,RCX DUAL STABILISERS
post #7 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. I was thinking the same thing...every other oil change.

Wayne

dark blue over grey
post #8 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM

I also do every other oil change, and if I travel I do it more often due to the fact I dont know how good or clean their fuel is. The filters arent cheap, but neither is fixing this truck. You could get an Air Dog II also

2008 CCSB F-350, Newton Level, Custom Harley lights, 6000k H&F, Spartan 300 LL, 4" Turbo back MBRP AD 6", S&B, Blocker Plates, CCV Mod, MBRP CAC, BMF Novakanes, Toyo MTs
post #9 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
try poking a little pin up there it may be clogged with debris either way I would get it unplugged asap and always change both filters at the same time. Im way over kill i change my filers about every 8000-10,000 kilometers. I look at it as insurance and I drain my seperator weekly into a water bottle and at most got only a drop or two of water the rest is pure clean fuel.....i do mine so much because im paranoid about the fuel system on this thing and dont want any water what so ever getting thru because I know ford wont hesitate to make me pay for the expensive repair. Even tho they have warrentied everything else and im deleted
I agree. I don't want to tempt fate either.

Wayne

dark blue over grey

Last edited by cp2146; 03-09-2012 at 11:51 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by INJEKTER1 View Post
my ford service mgr, told me every 10,000, i do it every other oil change
same here....

2010 F350 lariat cc sb srw
H&S Black Maxx,S&B CAI,,Readylift leveling kit,,GY 325/60/20,Smoked Recon: tail lights,cab lights,3rd brake light and tow mirror lights,AVS smoked window vents,20% window tints,Curt front mount hitch,Rear hitch mounted lights,Sinister coolant filter,PMF dual steering stabilizer,PMF traction bars 51 Gal. Titan tank,Bilstein 5100`s,Rudy`s up pipes,ARP studs,RCD egr delete w/ elbow,AFE cold side pipe,AFE 4"dp, AFE 5"
exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode