Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Let’s Talk Emissions!?!

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  turbo kidd 
#1 ·
I own a 2010 6.4L and I love my truck. I bought in new, and it now has 40,000 trouble free miles. The fuel economy is less than I would like…..11-12 MPG / City (Chicago) and 14-16MPG / Highway. These are real world hand calculated numbers. Well, I decided it is time to tune and delete. So, here are my question(s) to all of you:

1.) Does anyone know what Illinois has in store for Diesel emission testing? I know currently there is no testing.

2.) Where do you live and what emission testing are you subject to?

Thanks,
Turbo Kidd

#2 ·
Live in OR and we dont test Diesels over 8500 GVW.

As fare as i have understoon most places when they change Emssion standards older vechicles or the ones prduced before the emissions change have to be grandfathered in under the origianl law.

This is how we end up with a lot of the 70 older cars not needing emissions and such.

Same thing with my boat, its on 08 Moomba Wakeboarding boat. It doesnt have emissions standards, but as of 10 all new boats of my type require Catalitic converters to be leagal. Also Spark arestors are mandated on all boats but since mine is fuel injected i dont have one and so i pass my yearly inspection without running one. Mine does not require Cats because it wasnt required when i bought it. I know its a boat and it doesnt get emissioned but it does get inspected each year.

#3 ·
I'm in Ohio and we had echeck a while ago then they did away with it. I just deleted my dpf this weekend. Its well worth it.

#5 ·
once you take the dpf off once its super easy. i did it by myself in about 3.5 hours and that includes updating my h&s. i bet i could put the dpf back in there by my self in under 1.5 hours. so just delete it and if they come back with emission testing for diesels, throw it back on there and go get it check. you should have a few years before all the states are made to start up echeck, plus with the way the economy is, i dont think the government could afford forcing echeck back because i think that would cause alot of people to have to pay to get there car up to par to pass or buy a new car. if you were close id come and help ya knock it out. i sprayed all the bolts with pb blaster the day before and i could hand wrench everything off with out a problem but i used my impact on anything i could get it on.

#7 ·
I would remove it. If you just do a delete pipe and not a full exhaust it will be really easy to put back to stock once a year. I wouldnt worry to much about it. Like was said, after the first time you take it off, taking it on and off becomes really easy.

#8 ·
O.K., I just got my MiniMax, 5" turbo back exhaust (Diamond Eye) and my S&B intake from Nate at PTP. Nate is the best.....best price and over night free shipping...WOW.

I'm going to do the intake & MiniMax this weekend, and run DPF on tunes until the weather gets better here. I just got 7" of snow last night, so I do not want to get under my truck until it melt and it dries up. Then the exhaust will be put on and the tune changed to the 250 hot tune.

Now back to my question(s)....Anyone from Illinois know what is up with diesel emmision testing? Rumors / facts? As of now we are not testing, but I would like to know what the plan is.....if any.

Thanks,
Turbo Kidd

#9 ·
i live in southern california, and im about ready to hit the road! i just had to smog my 7.3psd and mines a 99!! its a comlpete visual, check for cat, and muffler and does a smoke test and if it smokes excessivley or longer then 4 seconds you fail, they plug in to see if your running a tune, buty that just means you gotta make sure your back down to stock before you go in.. i had a guy i went to, but he got busted now i dont know what to do, i think im gonna have to put a cat on flanges. its been a nightmare, everyones heard of DUI checkpoints (im sure) well california is starting to do smog checkpoints!!!

#13 ·
I'm in Washington. Some counties have checks here but I live in a rural area so no checks for me. My 2010 has also been trouble free but I am so glad I did the mods as the truck is a totally different beast now.

#16 ·
Thanks for the scoop guys....Glad I don't live in Cali. I visit family in the Bay area every couple of years and that is enough for me. The state is beautful, but is is a little bit too wacked for me.

Can anyone from Illinois chime in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.