Egr questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Duffie112
Egr questions.

I run the 210 currently and I'm gonna drop down to cycle egr. My ? Is what hurts the truck more cycling the egr on lower tunes or not cycling them on the higher ones. Is all that soot in the intake pipe from running the truck stock and on tunes that cycle the egr? Or having it closed all the time?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 07:25 PM

Im curious on this too hopefully someone will chime in on this.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:14 PM

I would like to know also. What helps make it recycle or will it do it automaticly? Seems I can't get mine to cycle unless it is at full operating tempertures.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:11 AM

Well, it will hurt the engine internally more with the EGR cycling due to it letting all that exhaust in. But, talking about the EGR valve itself, I would say not cycling it and driving like that for an extended amount of time will cause the valve to get frozen in there. Now I have no first hand expirence with this, its just me thinking.... usually exhaust gas passing through coolers and out valve when it opens... valve is moving keeping crud off and staying active... Turn off EGR valve... same amount of exhaust gas running into coolers and up to valve but now hitting a brick wall and doing nothing besides caking up in valve and being heat cycled... sounds like a recipe for a stuck valve.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffie112 View Post
I run the 210 currently and I'm gonna drop down to cycle egr. My ? Is what hurts the truck more cycling the egr on lower tunes or not cycling them on the higher ones. Is all that soot in the intake pipe from running the truck stock and on tunes that cycle the egr? Or having it closed all the time?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

The Spartan 210 (EGR enabled tune) cycles the EGR valve at idle anyway. Go take a listen at the tail pipe when the truck is idling (not high idle, just regular idle after the engine is warm). No need to change tunes from the Spartan 210 for EGR valve concerns.

But the EGR system is useless and detrimental to the truck, so I say get rid of it all together. Especially since Spartan includes EGR delete tunes now.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:14 AM

Is the h&s the same?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:56 AM

I had an H&S XRT and it seemed to cycle on all the tunes. I've had the Mini Maxx for about a month (canned tunes) and it doesn't cycle at all. The truck seems much more responsive now even on the no power setting so I assume the egr is closed. I am still on the fence about an egr delete. Wondering about just a block off plate to keep the crud from accumulating in case I ever have to go stock.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamsphelps View Post
I had an H&S XRT and it seemed to cycle on all the tunes. I've had the Mini Maxx for about a month (canned tunes) and it doesn't cycle at all. The truck seems much more responsive now even on the no power setting so I assume the egr is closed. I am still on the fence about an egr delete. Wondering about just a block off plate to keep the crud from accumulating in case I ever have to go stock.
Me too but every one I ask wants me to buy a egr delete kit. Everyones trying to make a buck.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:14 PM

RCD sells a just a block off plate. Can this be squeezed in between the the flange and horizontal cooler without removing the cooler? I have had the coolant puke a couple times but it may have been overfilled a bit. I notice the coolant level fluctuates normally. I also did a block check for any combustion gas in coolant and that was ok. If you notice, Rudy only sells the high end delete kit for the 6.4. I think he says that these trucks are ok without the egr delete for tunes up to 250hp.And he is an opinion I value. It would look alot nicer under the hood with all that crap removed but I am thinking it may not be necessary. I guess if the crud builds up in there it's better to be stuck closed than partially opened. I am seeing much better MPGs with the EGR closed as well.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:49 PM

The main reason for the egr delete is not the crud that builds up but more to get rid of the coolant that runs through the coolers. I am not saying that it is great to help prevent the crud that builds up in the intake as well.

When the egr coolers fail there will be coolant leaking which leads to possible hydrolock

You can get an egr delete flo pro kit from PTP for around $295
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.