replacing lower rad. hose myself... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
replacing lower rad. hose myself...

Hey guys, Im just looking for some insight on replacing my lower radiator hose. I bought the hose from tasca parts for half of what it cost at the dealership. I was told the hose was "the latest product from Ford", and it IS a genuine Ford Motorcraft part.... However, I don't see two O rings in the hose where it connects to the block!! Anyways, has anyone replaced this themselves that can provide some helpful hints on how to remove the metal clips? I bought a pick set to help with the clip located under the radiator where the two hose mate together... any advice or instructions that will be helpful? I haven't done any hoses on this truck yet, so im sure there will be some learning involved with these retainer clips and ect. Im gonna do a full flush and my coolant filter at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 AM

I did mine about 15k miles ago. It's not a bad job at all, but mine had the dual o-rings in each end? After you drain the cooling system, split the two hoses in the middle behind the radiator first and have a 5 gallon bucket ready because there is plenty of coolant that still comes out. You need to remove the passenger side fender liner thats how I accessed the metal retaining clip then you can pull that half of the hose up and out to remove. You use the same method to put the new one in, go through the fender area. The other half is easy and straight foward.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT9AIX View Post
I did mine about 15k miles ago. It's not a bad job at all, but mine had the dual o-rings in each end? After you drain the cooling system, split the two hoses in the middle behind the radiator first and have a 5 gallon bucket ready because there is plenty of coolant that still comes out. You need to remove the passenger side fender liner thats how I accessed the metal retaining clip then you can pull that half of the hose up and out to remove. You use the same method to put the new one in, go through the fender area. The other half is easy and straight foward.
Thanks for the info..... I'm sure you just saved me a ton of time and aggravation by telling me to remove the fender lining! I was wondering the best way to get to that upper retainer clip next to the block! I was trying to feel around and get an idea of what I needed to do ahead of time, and I was pretty worried about that top clip.... Not anymore! Thanks man!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 AM

No prob. That retaining clip on the block end of the hose is not terrible to get off, took 2 or 3 tries but its no bad. Getting it back on is easier.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Part number for 2 O-ring lower hose

I'm getting ready to replace the half that goes to the engine. Any idea what the part number for the 2 O-ring design is? I also want to order one online, but want to make sure I get the new style so I don't have to do this again in a year.
Also, did either of you have any trouble with air is the system once you refilled the radiator without using the refiller tool specified in the TSB.

Last edited by orange1954; 03-04-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the hose with the double o-ring is easily distiguishable by the white plastic end piece. the original ones are black
Old 03-04-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange1954 View Post
I'm getting ready to replace the half that goes to the engine. Any idea what the part number for the 2 O-ring design is? I also want to order one online, but want to make sure I get the new style so I don't have to do this again in a year.
Also, did either of you have any trouble with air is the system once you refilled the radiator without using the refiller tool specified in the TSB.
I'm not sure of the part number, but I bought mine from TascaParts.com and it was only like $50 shipped. You can look at the diagram to make sure you are getting the right hose. It's all OEM parts, and they are the latest parts from Ford. No issues with air, but keep a gallon of distilled water with you to top off the system after as air bubbles work their way out and create more space
Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
the hose with the double o-ring is easily distiguishable by the white plastic end piece. the original ones are black
Does the updated lower radiator hose have a white end also or just the upper hose?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
Does the updated lower radiator hose have a white end also or just the upper hose?
Yes. White ends on both upper and lower updated hoses.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Part number for the lower hose that goes from the midline of the truck to the engine block is AC3Z-8286-A. I have mine right here and am going to replace this weekend. Already replaced the top hose.

Since the clips are just retaining clips, do whatever you need to do to the clip on the old hose to get it off then just wiggle the hose off. The new hose just gets pushed on with the clip already on the hose. When you hear the click, you are done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.