Whoulda Thunkit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whoulda Thunkit

I went to pick up my truck today at the dealership. Had it in for a limp mode problem last week (see liar, liar...part 2). I found out something really interesting from the dealer. Apparently they are very mod friendly. While I was waiting for the paperwork to finish, I asked the service manager (off the record, of course) about deleting the DPF/CAT, EGR, and tuning the truck. His reply..."Oh yes. In fact I recommend it." He said they would even do it there and introduced me to their mechanic who does that for them. My jaw about hit the floor. I asked about voiding the warranty. His "official" answer was yes, it could cause Ford to get in a twist, but his "unofficial" answer was that they would still honor the warranty, especially if the problem was not directly related to deleting or tuning. Did I luck out with this dealer or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Don't you worry about it

 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,491
Thanks: 2
Thanked 54 Times in 48 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mine told me the SAME thing and then turned around and screwed me on a warranty claim... tread lightly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some will tell you that, especially if they are willing to do the delete, they are in the business of making money.

But like you said, off the record. He will never admit to telling you that when the chips fall.

Its all up to Ford, in most cases depending on how severe the engine damage is Ford will send out a rep from the Head Office to inspect the truck, the inspector will have the final word.

I just dont have the ba*** to do it mainly because these motors are so danged expensive to repair.

JMHO.

Good luck on what ever you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hammond, LA
Posts: 865
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I purchased a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty when I purchased my truck. To make a long story short when I found out I had a head gasket leak and claimed it under warranty they denied me due to oversized tires. Didnt say anything about the engine mods. They will find a way to wiggle out of a costly repair. This was not a Ford warranty though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You guys all make good points, and I agree. He did suggest waiting until the warranty was out, just to avoid any potential disputes. I was just shocked to hear him say they would do it. I didn't expect that from a dealer. I imagine I'll go to an independent shop somewhere and if I have other problems, just deal with them on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere On The West Coast
Posts: 203
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My service manager told me basically the same thing. In fact I did talk to one of the mechanics and he confirmed what the service manager said. They even suggested a diesel shop (I asked) that would do the work since I broke my neck a few months ago and cannot do it myself. As you can see from my signature I had the work done. A few days after the work was completed my upper radiator hose broke and I took the truck in under warranty. The service manager was glad I had decided to have the crap removed. The repair (replacement) of the hose was done under warranty with no hassle. There are truly some good guys out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 848
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GET IT IN WRITING
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairhaven View Post
My service manager told me basically the same thing. In fact I did talk to one of the mechanics and he confirmed what the service manager said. They even suggested a diesel shop (I asked) that would do the work since I broke my neck a few months ago and cannot do it myself. As you can see from my signature I had the work done. A few days after the work was completed my upper radiator hose broke and I took the truck in under warranty. The service manager was glad I had decided to have the crap removed. The repair (replacement) of the hose was done under warranty with no hassle. There are truly some good guys out there.
Yeah, my guy was kind of hinting at the same thing. We went back and talked to their mechanic who does the work for them (if I used them for it) and he said I'd definitely be pleased with the results. That's when I really pressed him (the service manager) on the warranty concerns. He did say it would probably be better to wait until the warranty was out to do it, but most likely they'd still honor warranty if I did it now. That's where the rub comes in. I REALLY want to go ahead and delete everything now, but I also don't want to run the risk of voiding my warranty. I have a lot left and I don't want to just throw it out the window. So, do I take my chances that they will honor the warranty and go ahead and delete, or do I just wait wait until after the warranty when it's no longer an issue? Decisions, decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-31-2012, 05:20 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 34'.6264 -98.4192
Posts: 20,704
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp2146 View Post
I went to pick up my truck today at the dealership. Had it in for a limp mode problem last week (see liar, liar...part 2). I found out something really interesting from the dealer. Apparently they are very mod friendly. While I was waiting for the paperwork to finish, I asked the service manager (off the record, of course) about deleting the DPF/CAT, EGR, and tuning the truck. His reply..."Oh yes. In fact I recommend it." He said they would even do it there and introduced me to their mechanic who does that for them. My jaw about hit the floor. I asked about voiding the warranty. His "official" answer was yes, it could cause Ford to get in a twist, but his "unofficial" answer was that they would still honor the warranty, especially if the problem was not directly related to deleting or tuning. Did I luck out with this dealer or what?
My dealer is a total toolbox. Where is your dealer. Dallas is not that far from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-31-2012, 05:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Rønning View Post
My dealer is a total toolbox. Where is your dealer. Dallas is not that far from me.
Sent you a private message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors