Trading my 6.4 for 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trading my 6.4 for 6.0?

Firstly, let me apologize in advance for the length of this post.

That being said, I currently own 2 powerstrokes, a 2000 7.3 (company's) and a 2010 6.4 (personal). Lately I have been contemplating cashing in on my 2010 6.4 and picking up a used 6.0. I have been searching Craigslists and I'm in shock at the deals you can get on 6.0's. Plenty of low mileage (45k-65k) 06-07's all over with the exact options I am looking for between 18k-22k. I have read up a lot on the 6.0s and understand I would need drop a couple of thousand into "Bullet-proofing" it. So here are my questions/concerns:

1) Are the 6.0s truly that bad once the necessary modifications (head bolts, new egr/oil cooler, etc.) are done? Anyone know of a high mileage - no problem 6.0?

2) I absolutely love the 6.4, but living in So-cal I keep the DPF/emissions intact. I am not willing to risk getting a ticket or voiding warrant on a DPF delete. Another reason I am interested in the 6.0.

3) I frequently tow an enclosed trailer (5k-8k pounds) and travel on moderate to steep grades. My 7.3 struggles to find the right gear and the 6.4 breezes through the grades but also the gas gauge. Does the 6.0 tow well? Could it be a cross between 7.3 and 6.4 when it comes to power/mpg?

Everyones opinion will be GREATLY appreciated. Is this just a crazy idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 PM

I have owned 2 6.0's, and will never own another. They are cheap now for a reason. I've had numerous head gasket problems,EGR problems.... It's not worth the hassle, and the 6.4l runs better, tows better, and looks better. From my experiences e 6.0 is no better on fuel either.

I say DON'T DO IT!!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would get a late model 7.3 (2002 or 2003) before ever getting a 6.0. There are days where I still question ever getting rid of my 7.3 ... but then I go get in my 6.4 and it reminds me!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoStroker16 View Post
Firstly, let me apologize in advance for the length of this post.

That being said, I currently own 2 powerstrokes, a 2000 7.3 (company's) and a 2010 6.4 (personal). Lately I have been contemplating cashing in on my 2010 6.4 and picking up a used 6.0. I have been searching Craigslists and I'm in shock at the deals you can get on 6.0's. Plenty of low mileage (45k-65k) 06-07's all over with the exact options I am looking for between 18k-22k. I have read up a lot on the 6.0s and understand I would need drop a couple of thousand into "Bullet-proofing" it. So here are my questions/concerns:

1) Are the 6.0s truly that bad once the necessary modifications (head bolts, new egr/oil cooler, etc.) are done? Anyone know of a high mileage - no problem 6.0?

2) I absolutely love the 6.4, but living in So-cal I keep the DPF/emissions intact. I am not willing to risk getting a ticket or voiding warrant on a DPF delete. Another reason I am interested in the 6.0.

3) I frequently tow an enclosed trailer (5k-8k pounds) and travel on moderate to steep grades. My 7.3 struggles to find the right gear and the 6.4 breezes through the grades but also the gas gauge. Does the 6.0 tow well? Could it be a cross between 7.3 and 6.4 when it comes to power/mpg?

Everyones opinion will be GREATLY appreciated. Is this just a crazy idea?
1) A buddy of mine who works for a construction company had a 2004 6.0 that went 314,000 miles without a single problem and it finally took a crap when he blew the turbo out of it. That being said, he towed 15k everyday, long freeway miles and his foot to the floor. Pretty much a hit and a miss. But once the EGR and studs are out of the way it's pretty much a faster 7.3.

2) The 6.0 does tow exceptionally well. The only down side is the Ford factory tuning it comes with. I know before mine was tuned I could set the cruise control at 80mph on a flat ground with a 32 ft travel trailer and not worry about a thing. Mileage was about 11. Then when it came to a decent sized hill the boost would automatically back down, and you'd be stuck with your foot to the floor doing 55mph.

Both the 6.0 and 6.4 are great motors, but with the emissions BS in Cali you might be better off going to a 6.0. I'm not sure if there is DPF tuning available for the 6.4. The only one I can think of is Banks that tunes with the DPF on.

Just my
Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check out Bullydog programmers, the newest one out makes more power than the last model. Also, they are smoke free and you do not have to delete your DPF or touch any of your emissions.

Diesel power did a wrte up on it and should give you close to 100 additional Hp. If you want anymore than that you will have to delete.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 PM

I sold my 6.4 and bought a 6.0. You will get many different answers for this question, based on peoples experience with either one, same if you asked the same question but with a 6.7 and 6.4. I loved my 6.4, tuned it was the most powerful vehicle i've ever been in. The interior is nicer than the 6.0's. just all around nicer. Don't get me wrong i love my 6.0 too. The reason I sold my truck was a couple things. First, my warranty was gonna run out and I couldn't buy another one, and me personally didn't want to own this truck without one. Second, a guy came to me and wanted my truck, just what he was looking for, so I sold it for a good price. There were a number of reasons why i didn't want to own it out of warranty I just wont get into that,although it gave me almost no problems when i owned it.
I sought out a 06 to 07 6.0 with low miles that i could get a Ford warranty. I found one and love it. It does everything I want and doesnt have the emissions crap on it except the egr. I think I made the right decision for me. With that being said I do miss the 6.4 but I do love my 6.0.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:54 PM

This truck with a dpf delete, tune (mini maxx) and intake is a beast! The mini maxx allows you to tune with or without the dpf. Unless you drive like an idiot you should be fine. The dpf is easy to swap on and off..
Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8Stroker View Post
Both the 6.0 and 6.4 are great motors, but with the emissions BS in Cali you might be better off going to a 6.0. I'm not sure if there is DPF tuning available for the 6.4. The only one I can think of is Banks that tunes with the DPF on.

Just my
There are a number of DPF On tuners; Banks Six-Gun, Banks AutoMind, Banks OttoMind, Edge/SuperChips, SCT, BullyDog even H&S and Spartan have DPF On tunes.

Of these, only the Banks, Edge/SuperChips, SCT and BullyDog are purported to be EPA/CARB compliant with the Banks being the cleanest and most DPF friendly.

I can only attest to the Banks units being EPA/CARB compliant.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide app.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 PM

I wouldn't run DPF Present tuning, especially when towing.

My buddy clogged the DPF on his 6.4 in 2 months running the Bully Dog GT
Old 01-30-2012, 07:23 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
my 05 has been custom tuned for over a year and a half and no problems, 68,000 miles. our 04 is straight piped and thats it and no problems, 23,000 miles. Both are meticulously cared for and thats what a 6.0 needs. if you take care of it and watch your parameters you dont need to have arp studs. now if mine blew i would put studs in but right now it is solid. The 6.0 has power and ya cant beat the sound of a straight piped 6.0. Im gonna miss it when its sells
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.