Experience with 4 post lifts? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Experience with 4 post lifts?

OK here is the deal, my uncle is planning on getting another car so now he needs a lift, 4 post drive on type. Since he doesn't know much about them he asked me to do a little research, So here I am. Do any of you guys own a lift? Work at a shop w/lifts etc etc? He doesn't plan on putting any heavier than suburban on it to do maintenance, but I would like to be able to put my truck on it occasionally, I have read allot of different forums and I hear good things about Bendpac lifts and Rotary, I'm leaning toward the Rotary. I liked rotary's 14k lift, defiantly heavy duty enough for anything we own. He want one that bolts down, he dosnt trust the free standing ones. He plans on storing a 90 Jag XJS v12 on it. I know 14k is overkill for his needs but I don't care. So what can you guys tell me? What should I look for? what brand? ETC ETC Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 PM

We use all Rotary at work, both 2 post and drive ones. We've got 12 lifts total. Never really have any issues with them. As long as you stick with a good name brand hoist you won't have any issues. A 10k would be more than plenty for home use.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

GregSmith.com is where I bought mine,(9000lbs) 4 post. Works great.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I hate 4 post lifts, ESPECIALLY for working on trucks. You could get your truck up in the air with a good rotary 2 post 9000lb lift. crew cabs are easy to lift with a 2 post

4 posts really suck when you have to pull wheels off, I see you have what looks like factory 20s, those things are heavy if you didn't know it, and all the rack does is get in the way.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:11 PM

Ya I know 4 posts suck when it come to working on stuff, but 2 post lifts are a pain to store cars on, and that what hes going to mainly use it for. I would love to be able to lift my cab off but considering this wont be coming out of my pocket I'm putting his needs/wants first. And I think my rim/tire combo only weighs in at around 100lbs, If I had to guess. Thanks again guys.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:18 PM

my vote is 2 post for all the reasons already stated. If the main use will be car storage it is hard to argue. 4 post is the way to go, but if it was me Id go 2 post.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 PM

I have a 2 post, low ceiling lift. Its a 9500lb unit.

So you understand how the weight ratings work, the lift has to be able to lift 1.5x that weight without damage.

A 10k lift can handle a 15k load, but I wouldn't want to keep pushing something above the standard rating.

my 9500 2 post lift can handle my F-450 fine. It's the 10' ceilings that restrict how high I can get it in the garage.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magnum View Post
And I think my rim/tire combo only weighs in at around 100lbs, If I had to guess.
ONLY 100lbs! You must be the hulk!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:45 AM

A two post asymmetrical lift is easy to store on, once you have pads at the lift points, and better for the car cuz it takes the weight off the suspension and wheels. A two post is going to cost less also , I would think.
There are ways to put ramps on a two post for easy storage. expensive

A four post with two jack trolleys is tolerable if it's free.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:50 PM

You guys don't have to convince me, I know what I would get. BUT he wants a 4 post lift, easy to drive on/off and he doesn't work on his own stuff, Heck I'm not even sure he could find the lift points on any of his cars. But to get back on track, please quit telling me to get a 2 post lift and tell me if you have had any experience with a particular brand? I don't care if its a 2 or 4 post lift I'm just trying to determine which brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.