$600 to replace a thermostat? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 02:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$600 to replace a thermostat?

Boy did that hurt. Check engine light came on last week. Truck starts/runs/drives normal. Took it to the dealer and they said the thermostat and gasket was bad. Almost $600 to replace, all labor I'm told. Wow. I knew dealer work on this thing would be a lot but wow. So I look at my receipt and see the computer scan was $157 by itself! Damn. I'm in the wrong business. Now I also had them check over my water/fuel deal, but my Purvis Ford Owner Advantage points value pretty much cancelled that out.
Hell, I can't even find the thermostat on this thing. With a repair cost like that, I'm afraid to ask how much it's going to cost to replace the front crank seal. I'll have to sell my house for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't know what truck you have, no signature. My 02 7.3 is so simple to change that you got screwed if you do too. Did you get kissed???? Follow the upper radiator hose down to the block. That's were the t stat should be. I can tell you that those three little screws are sensitive to torque. I broke two and I didn't tighten them very much. Check the torque requirement and don't exceed it.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Wow, that's rape. I can say if you have your EGR system still on the truck it's a little work... But not $600 worth. The 2 new thermostats come as a kit along with the housing gasket for $60. I changed mine myself when I deleted the EGR system. Got to start turning those wrenches yourself!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:09 PM

Yea. I guess it would help if I had added that it's a 08 6.4. I'll have to remember that from now on. hahaha
I tried the "follow the radiator hose" deal but lost my way under all the hoses and belts and parts and pullies and crap. And yea, egr is intact. Still trying to find a way to delete the egr coolers and get away with it.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Yeah bud thermostat replacement isn't that hard of a job I took my time and did it in about 2.5 hours I believe and I still have egr system. Save money and turn your own wrenches!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin07 View Post
Yeah bud thermostat replacement isn't that hard of a job I took my time and did it in about 2.5 hours I believe and I still have egr system. Save money and turn your own wrenches!!!
I normally do but was on sick leave from work for back pain so I didn't really have a choice. Can't have Verizon spies see me crawling around my engine bay. Plus, my old Pro Scan Plus can't read the truck so I still would have had to pay for the computer scan. Considering I replaced a section of brake line when I bought the truck, I'm sure I could have figured out the t-stat replacement. What I really need now is a decent diagnostic tool.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:12 PM

thats a little steep i would of done it myself. As long as the cab dont have to come off i will give it a try lol
Old 01-28-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalingus View Post
I normally do but was on sick leave from work for back pain so I didn't really have a choice. Can't have Verizon spies see me crawling around my engine bay. Plus, my old Pro Scan Plus can't read the truck so I still would have had to pay for the computer scan. Considering I replaced a section of brake line when I bought the truck, I'm sure I could have figured out the t-stat replacement. What I really need now is a decent diagnostic tool.
So whats canners will work on the 6.4's. Is auto Enginuity still the way to go?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 PM

Buy a good CAN code reader.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:44 PM

I bought the basic scan tool from my Snap On guy, $350 and it does a ton of stuff for the money. Well worth the cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.