$600 to replace a thermostat? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dashdaq reads codes. Any obdII.

And Im with Benstroke on this one, as long as no cab removal Im doing it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 PM

I had that done at the dealer to just because we were leaving the next day for a vacation and driving the truck of course. It was alot and would have done it myself if I wasn't in such a time crunch. I think my bill came to 730 but i had an oil change while I was there spending money. Last time that happens to me.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
techs don't make the money, If you were at the top of the food chain you'd be lucky to make 1/3 of the labor rate.

I make a quarter of our diesel labor rate
Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
which dealer.....so i can make sure i stay away from there
Old 01-31-2012, 03:42 AM

People always complain about dealer prices but around here the labor rate at my dealer is the same as places like ntb, Firestone.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:18 PM

I'm not necessarily complaining about the labor rate, just the total bill versus the work. To be more accurate, I was quoted $575 out the door just for the t stat replacement. There receipt shows a labor rate of $157/hr if I read it right. I'm willing to pay that to a point until I'm familiar enough with the truck to work on it myself. Plus, there are some repairs that I won't attempt and will only allow a dealer to do.
And it's Purvis Ford for those that are curious. And it's a damn good thing I know as much as I do know as the fool that fixed it left the fan clutch connector unplugged.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:54 PM

It took me an hour just to wiggle the stupid thermostat housing out then like 20min to get it back in...

with egr's that is.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Okay, guys. You're scaring the crap out of me. I'm due for the 60K mile scheduled maintenance pretty soon and now I'm wondering if I need to take out a second mortgage on my house. As I've said in other threads, I'm pretty mechanically challenged for anything much past changing the oil so me doing the work is pretty much out of the question. In an effort to keep my truck in good shape, I plan on having them run the entire list when it goes in, but dang, if it's gonna cost me a gazillion dollars, I may have to put it off until I can sell enough blood to pay for it.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 PM

don't forget it's not what it takes it what there magic computer says it will take. ask any mechanic how much a shop makes on front end work, cut silicone cv boot is i think on the top of the dealer scam list. i'm an electrician and have wired a couple chev dealerships,computer at every workstation. they have to follow step by step dissasembly even if they know of a quikway to do it. that's why troubleshooting will cost you an arm and a leg,cause again no step can be skipped,just do charge,do,charge,do,charge till you are half way down the list and it is fixed or found. just like mandatory services having some kid take my 60k trucks brakes apart so he can have a look and rotate my tires at 20k kms is just stupid. but i'm the one listing to them and what seems to be dropping 500 bucks every couple of months. i can't remember how many services now i just remember my 35,000 service and a command start cost me 1400 bucks.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:42 AM

Just got back from Stealer and got a quote for T-stat $629. I see some manual labor coming about this spring, I'll be doing my Egr delete as well. Just hope winter is not to bad from here on out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.