CARB Requirements - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CARB Requirements

Hi, I'm new to the forum and admittedly have not searched this topic on the forum. Yesterday I received a notice from the the California C.A.R.B. advising me I need to do something (this is what I'm asking about) about my 08 F450 6.0 with the HD towing package with regard to a particulate filter. The notice prompts me to call CARB, but I'm sure I'm going to speak with some bureaucrat pinhead who will give me the textbook doomsday answer(s) to my questions and tell me I have to spend thousands to comply with CARB regulations. Does anyone know the real world answer is to what, if anything, I need to do to my truck to make/keep it legal? Please advise ASAP as I have a 1/31/12 deadline to comply with. THX!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Could you scan and post the letter so we can see what it says? Also, I believe you meant 08 F450 6.4 and it sound like the letter is referring to you DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). But not specifics, which is why I'm asking if you can scan and post.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide app.

Last edited by smotrs; 01-28-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

CARB

You are correct, I used to have a 2004 6.0, now I own an 08 6.4, my bad. The letter is in reference to a particulate filter. It appears to be official; I'll see if I can scan and post, my scanner is being tempermental at the moment.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

CARB pamphlet

Here it is, I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
CARB Requirements-foxridge-materials2013jpeg.jpg   CARB Requirements-foxridge-materials2014jpeg.jpg  
Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 AM

I don't know why you received the pamphlet because your 08 F-450 is in compliance as long as you are not deleted. You really don't have to do anything, the pamphlet doesn't apply to your 08 truck. You probably got it do to your older truck.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

CARB

I hope you are right, I'll call them on Monday to make sure. What do you mean when you wrote, "as long as you are not deleted?"
Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

He means that you 08' 6.4 came equipped with a DPF filter from the factory. As long as you did not remove it then you are within compliance. If you did a delete that means that you changed your exhaust and removed the filter.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

CRB

What does DPF mean . . . __________ particulate filter?

I see both of you that responded are from California and have installed high performance equipment on your trucks. Have either of you, or anyone else, had any type of problems with this equipment? I would really like to install some high performance equipment on my truck, but I am very paranoid due to the below information.

My 08 F450 is totally stock; the reason being is that I used to own an 04 6.0, which was ultimately bought back by ford via the lemon law. The 04 was equipped with a turbo back exhaust, Superchips tuner, and a cold air intake. Immediately after I blew up the motor I removed all of the aforementioned high performance equipment from the truck before I had it towed to my dealership because I had already heard horror stories in which dealerships (Ford) was denying warranty claims for blown motors because owners had installed similar high performance equipment. I heard one story in which an 04 6.0 owner's warranty claim for a blown motor was initially denied by Ford because he had an aftermarket billet grill on his truck. The owner later pointed out to the service manager that a new identical Ford Harley/Davidson truck had an almost identical billet grill from the factory.

PS: My truck now has about 19K on it and my mileage sucks (10 mpg on a flat road). What kind of mileage are you guys getting with the high performance equipment? Any problems or issues related to the installation of the high performance equipment?

THX!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnjim View Post
What does DPF mean . . . __DIESEL__ particulate filter?
One thing I'm unclear on - It appears the pamphlet is aimed at fleet owners, small construction companies or something like that. Does this apply to you?

As stated by others and you - if your truck is totally stock and all parts are there, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:02 PM

I would sayn you got the letter due to it being a 450 which is considered to be a work/fleet vehicle. I work @ a trucking company and have to deal with this crap daily. Your safe with the 08 as long as it still has the diesel particulate filter installed! If vehicles are 7 years or older that is when they make you comply by installing a reman engine or dpf system which yours has already.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.