Talked with the Ford Powerstroke guys from Texas.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talked with the Ford Powerstroke guys from Texas....

I was invited out to one of our local dealers on Mon to meet the Ford Powerstroke guys from Texas that tour North America to educate and talk with the consumer first hand about their trucks.

These guys answered pretty much all my questions about the new 6.4

I first asked WHEN WILL MY MPG will start to increase seeing as the truck is only getting around 8mpg right now. They said that my particular truck should see at least 12-13mpg by the time 10,000kms come around... I was pleased with this answer..we'll see if it really happends.

Second question was how come the 450's and 550's are rated at 325hp instead of 350hp like the 250's and 350's? They replied this was simply due to gearing. The Ford engineers figured the extra HP would not be needed due to the larger gears. I say :blowup:

Third question was how come Ford limited the 450's and 550's to 82mph.They replied by saying that this was the max safest speed the truck would be able to brake at under max towing capacity....I would have never guessed that...makes sense...i guess.

Fourth Question was about the infamous flame throwing f-250 on YouTube. They told me this was an isolated incident. Apparently the tip of the injector on cylinder #8 had broken off thus causing a large amount of fuel to be dumped into the DPF..the rest is history.

Fifth question was about mods. They basically said if you like your warranty not to do anything that's going to void it because they will know. They wouldn't say how it was traceable but any type of after market re-flash or mods done to the computer including unplugging the DPF would be noticeable.

These guys were also saying that the rumor floating around Ford right now is that the 6.0L will be jammed back into the E-Series. He said they are currently trying to outfit a DPF for the 6.0 to make it emissions legal. Also look for a updated body on the E-series for 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 04:59 PM
one day at a time

Interesting stuff... I didn't know that Ford had a bunch of guys running around touting the PSD's at local dealers. How'd you get the hook up on that one?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:28 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Awesome - I'm with Kurt - wanna know when they'll be round my part of the world
Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 AM

Well apparently there are two teams from my understanding. One team with an 08 and one team with an 03 F-350. The team i was talking with even ran into the guys that were testing the F-450 that put on 150,000 miles while they were in Vegas.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:40 PM

99GT,
Thanks for sharing the info you got. A little off subject but my truck has been getting 13.4 MPG when I keep it at 55mph. It has 4200 mile right now.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:46 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Say 99gt i'm not trying to but i see that you have a 06 freightshaker with an MBE 4000 in your SIG. How do you like that mercedes benz? I'm a driver and i just like to hear opinions on new motors. I also drive a 06 M2 short hood with a 300hp C7 kitty CAT.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the info! I really don't think the mpg will pick up that much by 10k. Ours is closing in on that amount and it hasn't changed a bit. I didn't even know our 450 was less hp. That sucks.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gt View Post
I was invited out to one of our local dealers on Mon to meet the Ford Powerstroke guys from Texas that tour North America to educate and talk with the consumer first hand about their trucks.

These guys answered pretty much all my questions about the new 6.4

I first asked WHEN WILL MY MPG will start to increase seeing as the truck is only getting around 8mpg right now. They said that my particular truck should see at least 12-13mpg by the time 10,000kms come around... I was pleased with this answer..we'll see if it really happends.

Second question was how come the 450's and 550's are rated at 325hp instead of 350hp like the 250's and 350's? They replied this was simply due to gearing. The Ford engineers figured the extra HP would not be needed due to the larger gears. I say :blowup:

Third question was how come Ford limited the 450's and 550's to 82mph.They replied by saying that this was the max safest speed the truck would be able to brake at under max towing capacity....I would have never guessed that...makes sense...i guess.

Fourth Question was about the infamous flame throwing f-250 on YouTube. They told me this was an isolated incident. Apparently the tip of the injector on cylinder #8 had broken off thus causing a large amount of fuel to be dumped into the DPF..the rest is history.

Fifth question was about mods. They basically said if you like your warranty not to do anything that's going to void it because they will know. They wouldn't say how it was traceable but any type of after market re-flash or mods done to the computer including unplugging the DPF would be noticeable.

These guys were also saying that the rumor floating around Ford right now is that the 6.0L will be jammed back into the E-Series. He said they are currently trying to outfit a DPF for the 6.0 to make it emissions legal. Also look for a updated body on the E-series for 2008.
the 450's and 550's are rated at a lower HP rating to reduce motor strain and lead to a longer service life as well, since they generally are company work/fleet trucks.....yet another reason for the de tune...

Also....the 6.0 isnt just a rumor, it is currently being put in 08 vans. We just got one the other day. The 6.0 meets emmissions through 09 or 2010...i cant remember....so they dont have to do anything to it to keep it in the vans. As of right now they dont have a way to make a 6.4 fit in a van and ford doesnt want to lose the ambulance market since they are the only one making a van cab and chassis with a decently powered diesel in it (the only other on is the dodge sprinter and it doesnt have the power for an ambulance)
Old 09-14-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
Say 99gt i'm not trying to but i see that you have a 06 freightshaker with an MBE 4000 in your SIG. How do you like that mercedes benz? I'm a driver and i just like to hear opinions on new motors. I also drive a 06 M2 short hood with a 300hp C7 kitty CAT.
Hey Dan, First off i should say i don't own this truck..actually i don't even work for the company that does own it any more...just to lazy to change my sig..lol.

On to the truck itself. I was very pleased with it. The truck itself was only a Tandem tilt,n,load straight truck. It weighed in at 30,000 lbs empty. 44 rears and 20 up front. The motor is the MBE410 and has 410hp and is a great medium duty class motor and did it's job flawlessly. The only downfall was the truck was only an 8spd with deep red. We also had an 05 M2..pretty much the same truck except it has the MBE 450/450hp and an 18spd..this thing was quick. It had no problem out running a new GMC 5500 off the line.. Although both these motors are used in heavy duty applications i wouldn't recommend it in anything larger than medium duty. I've talked to several people that have both of these motors in big rigs and they say they just don't have enough grunt in the hills. One guy was even saying he was dropping several gears on small hills while only pulling 20,000lbs.

anywho..here's a pic of the old girl with my 04 on her.

on a side note.. i've had the pleasure of an 80yr old grandpa in a cavalier who thought he was Vin Diesel pull a Fast&Furious under my tandem axles..no damage to the truck of course. Also, my last week at work a deer decided to jump in front of me doing about 65mph. Only damage was a broken left fog light.

Last edited by 99gt; 09-14-2007 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Doesn't the HP on the 450s differ with rear ratios? 350 for the 430s, 325 for the 488s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.